"Gooch Eyes England"

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BCAB, Feb 5, 2006.

1. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many Americans can you name that have played in Italy in the last 10 years? American's play in northern Europe for now. Until the Mediterranean countries decide we're worth the money and can play their game, it's not going to happen.

Germany could work, but I fail to understand why England wouldn't work as well or better. Gooch speaks the language, the EPL is a stronger league than the Bundesliga, and the opportunities for learning strong defensive tactics are plentiful.

What's the problem?

2. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa? Great...another mediocre English team to pull for solely because they have a Yank.

Maybe with new ownership, this will just be the beginning of a Villa renaissance....and it will mean I have to burn my Kirovski Brum jersey. Don't know why I haven't done that already. :D

3. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Only ones I can think of that played in Italy during the last 10 years:
    Jamar Beasley
    Alexi Lalas (left Padova after their game on Feb 25, 1996 so just barely applies)

Sadly this is about the same number of Americans that have been in Spain.
    The only ones I can think of are:
    Kasey Keller
    Ante Razov

You're right, for the most part Americans have had more success playing in the northern European nations and England.

4. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good call on Beasley, I didn't think anyone would remember that. Sean Rush, Rossi, and JCE? :D

Tab Ramos played in Spain, but that was more than 10 years ago.

5. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Forgot about Elliot and Rush, but I didn't think Rossi ever played for a senior team in Italy - just the youth/reserves.

Anyway, I peresonally think England would be a really good place for Onyewu. Ideally he'd team with Bocanegra and push Knight out at Fulham (so I have to follow fewer teams).

Or maybe a newly promoted team - how about a pairing of DeMerit and Onyewu at Watford? :D (ok, honestly i dont' think a newly promoted team would spend the $$$ it would take to bring in Onyewu)

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i would love to see my brethren oguchi play in italy, even for a club like lazio just so he could give those racist/fascist mofo's the "borghetti stare"( i shudder in fear as i write this. i believe somewhere in bolton, a mexican striker is feeling the same way), you can bet borghetti doesnt want to see him in england.

7. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    Oguchi is magic, he wears a magic hat
    He cast eyes toward England and said "I'm having that"

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Antonio "Chivas" Martinez palyed there too ... he's a US citizen, is he not?

9. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you cant believe whatever you like, but taking the top 4 leagues in europe England is by far the deepest, if you look at the teams. Other leagues have great teams, but to be sure if Gooch got a starting job in England, he'd see the deepest competition day in and out. And there would be a better chance to see European play than any other league.

10. kakaboypuf redded

Feb 1, 2006
    Rotterdam
    LMFAO

has this one been posted in "the dumbest posts thread' ?

11. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Yes..... ;)

A combination of the language comment and the woefully misinformed opinion on England and the EPL not being able to produce quality CBs made it a cert

12. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fairly certain he was being wry.

13. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Glad I could help you feel superior. But subtlety is not your strong suit.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell us where so we can make fun of all the stupid Brits who don't understand irony.

And by the way, British people really do NOT understand irony. Have y'all noticed how often the announcers use "ironic" when "coincidental" is the right word? They use it very, very frequently, and never correctly. Much worse than American sportscasters.

15. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    You don't know where the Dumbest Post Thread is? It's the one decent thread left on WR.

As to the irony? Considering the multiple posters who pulled him up on the comment within this thread and there was no "did I really need to insert a smiley" comment in response just how sure are you that he didn't mean it?

16. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest you read Post #73. Provides the George Bernard Shaw comment with it and everything.

17. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    And it also confirms his view of England and the EPL of not being a league worthy of developing top class CB's.

18. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Shrewsbury plays Derby, absent Bobby Con-VAY...:D

19. soccerhooligan33

soccerhooligan33 New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Clifton, VA
    Ironic as in contrary to what was expected, it doesn't have to be particularly poignant.

20. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Indeed, I'm not sure what language Superdave is talking about, but English it ain't.

OED:
    Ironic: 1 using or characterized by irony. 2 happening in the opposite way to what is expected

21. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Have you ever looked at your team's roster?
    :rolleyes:

22. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Sean Rush never signed with an Italian team.

23. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    And actually there are many good online sources as well as professional tutors to help Americans learn British English for those who may find it hard..;)

http://www.peak.org/~jeremy/dictionary/

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dictionary.com

co·in·ci·den·tal Audio pronunciation of "coincidental" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-ns-dntl)
    adj.

1. Occurring as or resulting from coincidence.
    2. Happening or existing at the same time.

See, like I told ya, coincidental and ironic are not synonyms.

25. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    OED:

coincidence: remarkable concurrence of events etc apparently by chance.
    ironic: 2. happening in the opposite way to what is expected

Maybe not synonyms, but there's certainly a plausible argument that many coincidences fit the bill of events happening in the opposite way to what is expected, thus being both coincidental and ironic by OED definitions.