Gold Cup Rosters - final

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by beachesl, Jun 10, 2005.

1. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    "Non-Binding" Gold Cup Provisional Rosters, Final May Be Completely Different

The new Gold Cup Regs (passed on June 6 and on Concacaf site just yesterday) are confusing on this issue, but it says that the provisional list is non-binding, so they should be able to add new guys up to the final list deadline of June 21, even if they were not on the provisional list.

see:
    http://www.concacaf.com/graphics/stats-regs/pdf/goldcup_e.pdf
    at page 10

excerpts:

"5. Provisional List of Players
    Participating National Associations must provide their List of Players on the official form provided, to the office of the CONCACAF General Secretariat, at least 45 days prior to the first match. This list is not binding and must contain the names of at least 25 players. The list will be used for event
    promotion and data management.

6. Team Delegations and Final Roster
    Each participating Association shall submit to the CONCACAF General
    Secretariat its Final Delegation list of up to 30 persons, which may include up to 23 players, not later than 15 days prior to the first match of the Final Phase. Only these 23 players will (except in the case of force majeure recognized by the organizing committee for the CONCACAF Gold Cup) be permitted to compete in the Final Phase.

7. A listed player may only be substituted in the event of serious injury up until 24 hours before his team#146;s first match, after CONCACAF has received a detailed medical assessment in English and only after acceptance by the CONCACAF Sports Medical Committee that the injury is sufficiently serious to prevent the player from taking part in the Competition. The National Association shall then immediately nominate the substitute and inform CONCACAF accordingly."

The late changes to the regs, very much different from the regs in place at the last 2 GC's, appear to have caused a lot of confusion in a lot of quarters.

It also appears that the provisional lists might just be window dressing only, and that we could see complete changes to various team's rosters in 11 days time.

2. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Re: Gold Cup Provisional Rosters Published

So it seems like the US will pretty much send their A team while Mexico their B/C team. This will probably give US the advantage even though the lineups can change and anything can happen.

3. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Re: Gold Cup Provisional Rosters Published

CRNT will have Lokomotiv forward Winston Parks

4. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Yallop announced the Canada roster today; US is supposed to be out in the morning:

"Canadian Gold Cup Roster Set"

Only one MLS player on the 19 man squad being called into camp, Dwayne DeRosario from San Jose. Two additional MLS players (Will Johnson, Chicago; Felix Brillant, NE) on the 23 man roster as potential "backups", but not called into camp right now.

Edit: fixed the name

5. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? I know Will John is probably upset he didn't get much playing time for the US in Holland but defecting to Canada! Oh my.

I know, supposed to say Will Johnson. Both are forwards for the Fire.

6. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Yeah....maybe a Freudian slip....if Will John played for Canada, he'd get more PT! Thanks for the catch, I fixed the post.

7. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Every team has to have a 23 man roster, so Johnson and Brilliant are officially on the team, even if they won't play.

8. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Yes, I know. But Yallop is quoted in the article as saying

So Johnson and Brillant and the other 2 seem unlikely to get to play, not clear if they go along to suit up or just sit at home waiting for a call.

9. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It seems that Yallop has chosen all four 'reserves' from North American clubs, so they are close by if need be. He'll most likely let them stay with their clubs unless needed.

This is a very young and inexperienced side that Yallop has chosen, with regulars such as Paul Stalteri, Julian DeGuzman, Mike Klukowski, Daniel Imhof and others not chosen.

It makes sense, given that we are already looking forward to 2010, and need to blood as many guys as possible between now and then.

I expect that most other teams will be far from their 'A' squads as well.

10. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    The US roster is set - stronger than most people expected, I think:

"US Gold Cup Roster Set"

11. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The revolution could loose 5 players to the Gold Cup if Brilliant is called up. Add TT who is injured that would be 6. Ouch!

12. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    Since we (Canada) are not in the Hex I'm a bit out of touch with the top US squad - but most of those names seem familar. Seems far closer to a full-strength squad that what Canada is bringing (even though we are out of qualifying and you guys are still in). Outside of Reyna & McBride who else is missing?

13. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bunch of players see this thread:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5315858#post5315858

14. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Yeah. I saw another article last night saying that Arena was going to let Reis stay and play with the Revs, since there are two other goalies. Plan is to get Reis in camp but let him go back to play with New England, to try to minimize the impact. Also saw a quote from Yallop that one of the reasons he wasn't putting as many MLS guys on the "19 who will play" was to minimze the impact to MLS, so it seems unlikely that Brillant will be called up.

LA has a similar problem, they have 3 guys (I think) that are likely to be on other country's Gold Cup rosters, plus losing Donovan to the US.

15. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    I get the sense that for the most part (and the wonderful thing about having depth) the players missing for the US aren't necessarily the cut above the ones that are included in the roster. The drop-off for Canada is much higher, unfortunately for us, as we are replacing players of ours at Tottenham, Brugge and Deportivo La Coruna with A-leaguers for the most part.

16. chapulin

chapulin Member

Feb 27, 2005
    El Estado Dorado
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexico isn't bringing their A team, it'll be more like a C team. I favor this for the opportunity we'll get to see new players but then again I don't favor this because of risking a spot in the 2007 Confederations Cup and our "throne" as Concacaf's best team. After all, this is the CONCACAF's tournament, the winner would be declared as CONCACAF's best team! I was hoping Argentine coach Ricardo Lavolpe would play the same team he's playing in Copa Confederaciones but then again they need a break as well... He's already confirmed 11 players to play this Gold Cup though: Here they are:

Guillermo Ochoa-------------America----------------19 yrs. old-------2 caps
    Ismael Rodriguez----------- Monterrey--------------24 yrs. old-------2 caps
    Juan Carlos Medina--------- Atlas-------------------21 yrs old------- 1 cap
    Hector Altamirano---------- Santos-----------------28 yrs. old------25 caps
    Carlos Morales-------------- Tigres-----------------25 yrs. old-------2 caps
    Rafael Garcia--------------- Cruz Azul--------------30 yrs. old------23 caps
    Gerardo Galindo------------- Pumas-----------------27 yrs. old------ 2 caps
    Juan Pablo Garcia----------- Atlas------------------23 yrs. old------ 0 caps
    Daniel Osorno--------------- Atlas------------------26 yrs. old------27 caps
    Ismael Iniguez---------------Pumas-----------------23 yrs. old------ 1 cap
    Aaron Padilla----------------America----------------27 yrs. old------ 0 caps

Note: These players have only earned that amount of caps with the current coach, Ricardo Antonio LaVolpe. I'm positive that Rafael Garcia & Daniel Osorno have more caps than that though as they have been playing with the National Team before laVolpe came in. I'm not sure about Altamirano though.

Note: Out of these first 11 players called up, only 3 have STARTED on the National Team before and only 1 has played a World Cup (Rafael Garcia).

Note: Guillermo Ochoa, the new revelation of the Mexican League is finally going to get his shot on the team, although he didn't START the first two times LaVolpe called him up. He has played on younger National Teams though such as U-23 and U-20.

17. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    There is no Confederations Cup in 2007, they changed it to 4 years from now on. I dont know how this works, but since the Gold Cup is every 2 years, then I would assume that the Gold Cup in 2007 would determine the team that would go to the Confed Cup in 2009. As far as Mexico's team, yea most of those people have never stepped on the field with the green uniform. Those that have been called a couple of times sat on the bench. LaVolpe has also said that he will only call 1 player from Chivas. And the "veteran" players like Rafa Garcia, Altamirano and Osorno had horrible years and are on the decline of their career. I hope Ochoa gets some playing time. This guy is one of the best U-20 goalies in the world.

18. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Costa Rica roster

Goalies: Alvaro Mesen, Jose Francisco Porras and Donny Grant.

Defenders: Harold Wallace, Michael Umaña, Victor Cordero, Mauricio Wright, Gabriel Badilla, Leonardo Gonzalez, Junior Diaz and Carlos Castro.

Midfielders: Jose Luis Lopez, Geiner Segura, Dany Fonseca, Douglas Sequeira, Christian Bolaños, Jafet Soto and Steven Bryce.

Forwards: Oscar Rojas, Winston Parks and Bryan Ruiz.

Only 21 players listed, there should be two more. Although it says only 20 will travel to the US.

19. El Jefecito

El Jefecito New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Monroe, LA
    Does anyone have the final rosters for Guatemala 0r Honduras?

20. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Erik Scott? He was a very desirable commodity a few years back, now he is languishing on the bench of the Crew. If he is even there anymore.

21. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Actually he's been back in Costa Rica for a while now.

22. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=85138746

Goalkeepers-Shaka Hislop (unattached), Kelvin Jack (Dundee Utd), Daurance Williams (CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh)

Defenders-Marvin Andrews (Glasgow Rangers), Brent Sancho (Unattached), Cyd Gray (Jabloteh), Atiba Charles (Vibe CT105 W Connection), Dennis Lawrence (Wrexham), Anton Pierre (Defence Force), Avery John (New England Revolution)

Midfielders-Silvio Spann (Yokohama FC), Chris Birchall (Port Vale), Glenton Wolfe (National Quarries North East Stars), Carlos Edwards (Luton Town), Densill Theobald (Caledonia Fire), Aurtis Whitley (Jabloteh), Angus Eve (Jabloteh), Brent Rahim (unattached)

Forwards-Collin Samuel (Dundee Utd), Kenwyne Jones (Southampton), Jason Scotland (Dundee Utd), Cornell Glenn (Columbus Crew), Stern John (Coventry City).

Glen and A.John the only MLS players, no Rojas or Fitzpatrick.

23. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US wont play A team lineups...their still some key guys missing and im pretty sure Bruce is gonna try some new formations and use some guys in certain spots. This is not a must win tournament and Bruce has already stated that. This is like the confed cup...just play, test and tweak.

24. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA

Ouch - New England is really going to be down some key players during July. They better get Twellman back, or it could be a long month for them. They have to travel to LA, to Chicago, and then host Dallas....each of those teams will be missing a couple of players, but that's a tough 3 games for the Revs without Dempsey, Ralston, Noonan, and John.