Gold Cup Final [R]

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by Mstr. Baitor, Jun 22, 2007.

1. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Final Match-Mexico v USA [R]

WRONG. I should probably sing Dr. Cox's Wrong song from Scrubs, that's how bad this take is. When the US plays Mexico in the states, unless they play in the frozen north, the games are at best the equivalent of neutral site games, or as shown in our previous friendly this year in Arizona, and today's game in Chicago, in an away game atmosphere where support is usually 65-90% Pro-Mexican. Is that our problem? Hell yes. But, and this is a big but, our home games are nothing remotely like yours at Azteca or anywhere else, your fans travel fantastically well, and turn our home games against you into away games, Alexi Lalas made the famous vaguely racial blast about the Gold Cup atmosphere in LA in '98, and several players were quoted in articles previewing this game as, "we know it's going to be an away game atmosphere with Mexico essentially getting the home town support". The blame for that goes to our fed, and the struggles we've had in getting the knuckledragging idiots in this country to love our sport, however, what this does underline is that your winless streak in the US has absolutely NOTHING to do with playing away games. You aren't. Other than two games in CBus, the vast majority of fan support has been for Mexico, not for the US in virtually every game played during that streak.

Your problems beating us are not about playing away from Mexico, because by and large, your fans are there in force, outnumbering ours in these games, no, your problems are about ego, arrogance, and some wicked mojo the US has for whatever reason been able to wield on your squad. I don't know why you can play head to head with Argentina, and even beat Brazil (though get outplayed in the process), and then often play so awful against us in comparison but it is what it is.

Today, you guys lost again, and this one may stick even longer because you had a lead, a ton of luck (Sanchez standing on his head, your posts and crossbar being terrific extra goalkeepers as our attacking players continued their inept finishing), and yet you still lost. How do you get past that when you play us? I've got no idea. On a neutral site, I think our teams our fairly even, but for whatever reason your squad doesn't seem to play like it understands that. Anyway today was special for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was there at least appeared to be some class in it. I didnt really see any ugly acts by anyone, and there was even at least one shirt exchange.

I'm proud of Mexico for finally bringing their a game, and some class, and Im proud of the US for showing such fortitude. It was a great final in a great, if bizarre tournament, and thankfully it was absolutely bereft of bird brained officiating which definitely seemed like a first for the tournament.

Good luck at Copa, and in the U-20 World Cup, and go kick some butt for the region, and cheers on a great, great final. Guardado is absolutely sick, I can't wait to see what he can do for you guys over the coming decade+ (though not so much against the US).

2. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When are games ever called correctly? this is part of the sport. I agree that canadian goal was a blown call. But for once the call went our way. By your logic Italy doesnt deserve the world cup. A gifted penalty got them passed Austrailia, A goal called back against the US kept them from losing an othwerwise tied affair. My point is the Good teams Grind out results regardless of the refereeing. is luck somtimes on your side Yes. these types of tournaments are like that. But when its all said and done your team should have finished off the game when they went ahead. they didnt.

3. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US team doesn't look like a B team to me. Looks like a blend of Olympic U-23 guys, a couple of borderline starters (guys like Eddie and Conrad), and some scrub veterans as filler.

As I mentioned yesterday, the midfield should be interesting, as probably 3 of the 6 or 7 most talented Americans in terms of ball handling (Nguyen, Mapp, Feilhaber) will be on the team, but there isn't anything in the way of mentoring stud A Vets to help bring stability and calmness to the side when they're getting rolled 5-0 at halftime against Argentina. If we had a Donovan, a Convey, or a Beasley or Dempsey in the midfield that would help stabilize things, ditto a McBride for the forwards. We don't, it's a blend of youngsters and nobodies in the midfield, and unproven backups at forward along with Davies, a promising but unproven guy. That's a recipe for disaster in my view, so yeah, it will be hard to evaluate much, and the worst thing about it is that it's much easier to evaluate youngsters by blending them with starters, throwing them all into the deep end together will just be like Ryan Leaf or David Carr getting thrown to the lions as rookie starting QB's on miserable teams, any of the guys that show well will have really proven something because it's going to be damn hard to do so.

4. Banner or Hulk?

Mar 11, 2006
    They didnt because of a suspect penalty call. If it doesnt happen maybe they score another one and hold on to the win. Maybe the US comes back and wins by two. We dont know. However, assuming that bad calls will always happens takes away the point of playing the game, as there is really no point in playing if you are confident the ref is going to mess something up and potentially end up costing you or them a loss. I can understand missing some calls, as they are human. But some calls are so obvious that they cant be missed.

5. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley

Wow, don't you look like a dumbass :D

6. alchemist009

alchemist009 Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Great final game and I enjoyed every second of it! Definitely better than the last Gold Cup Final!!!!

These two teams proved why they're the best in the region! The 1st half...Mexico dominated and the 2nd went to the USA!! Although, I was disappointed that Mexico didn't win...it was great seeing them hustle and play like they should be playing! They put on a great effort.

As for the US, they keep getting better and better! I think they're quicker to adopt youthful talent than Mexico which gives them the edge everytime they play. They progress while Mexico does it slowly. They're latest additions with Nery and Guardado will improve Mexico's game in the future.

Anyhow, awesome game and congrats to the USA!!!

7. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

I think that ship had sailed already! :D
    Metro

8. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunatley thats the nature of the games in concacaf. Somehow we know the refereeing is going to suck. But enough already it was a good game and was happy to see freeflowing soccer from both sides of the pitch.

9. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley
    It was an excellent game. I knew the U.S. was gonna pull it off, they're simply the better team.

I love the fact that the Mexicans are putting the loss on the referee Batres:)

Karma's a bitch, let it burn suckas :D

10. Mstr. Baitor

Mstr. Baitor Member

Dec 14, 2005

Yeah yeah, we lost.

I gave credit where its due, you on the other hand attend UC Berkeley. What a liberal homo.

11. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley

:rolleyes:

I see you're as classy and clueless as your national team.

12. Mstr. Baitor

Mstr. Baitor Member

Dec 14, 2005

USC bitch.

13. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley

USC, really?Lol. Wow, get back to me when you get a real education.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14321230/

1. Harvard University
    2. Stanford University
    3. Yale University
    4. California Institute of Technology
    5. University of California at Berkeley:D
    54.University of Southern California :(

Looks like you lose again Tigrito, not your day is it?

14. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004

Nery is a very good player, but his ego holds him back, he holds the ball way too long. His setup for the goal should've never counted since it was shown that he was offsides.

Guardado despite the goal was not nearly as effective as everyone thinks he is. Both Spector and Simek shut that guy down, its obvious Guardado doesn't do well against bigger more athletic players regardless of whether or not he has better skills.

Oh and finally the US still owns the dirty mexies. This made my whole week.

15. Mstr. Baitor

Mstr. Baitor Member

Dec 14, 2005

Yeah, good luck finding a job.

16. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley

I think you'll need the luck given what you've demonstrated. Maybe a Bruin will show sympathy and hire your inept ass.

17. Mstr. Baitor

Mstr. Baitor Member

Dec 14, 2005

Demonstrate what?

UC Berkeley grads more often than not end up broke or teaching in JR High Schools.

Jeje.

18. valvoxahsweet

valvoxahsweet New Member

Jun 17, 2007

First of all, what the ******** does this have to do with the game? Stop talking about irrelevant issues. Secondly, you lost, move on from it. The Mexican team had an outstanding first half, and let down the second. That "penalty" against Onyewu was NOT a penalty, whether you think it was or not. The US missed several wide open shots. Should we count those as well, since they SHOULD'VE scored? No. Stop making excuses, and have pride for what your national team accomplished.

P.S.- Isn't the U.S now 9-0-2 against El Tri since 2000?

19. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley

valvoxahsweet,This guy's clearly delusional on more things than just soccer.

Tigrito, call it a night dude, go lie down or review for your chicano studies test.

20. Mstr. Baitor

Mstr. Baitor Member

Dec 14, 2005

Pride in losing?

Sorry kid, theres no pride in losing.

Anthony, you're what 22?

At your age I already owned an apparel company and a retail space. Just so you know.

Im out kids, congrats to the US fans on the victory once again. Not so much to the central americans.

21. valvoxahsweet

valvoxahsweet New Member

Jun 17, 2007

That explains your excuses.

22. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    i remember after the Costa Rica-Mexico game Osvaldo Sanchez and Borghetti i think said that the referee was even with both teams :rolleyes:

I wonder what they will say about todays game...wen really todays game was fairly officiated by Batres unlike some of the other games (CR vs MEX...USA vs CAN)

Question...y doesnt CONCACAF get european or south american refs?...and i mean refs with great reputations...so we dont see this type of bullshit favoring USA and Mexico again.

23. SCCS Coach

SCCS Coach Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Has anyone posted a video of Feilhaber's goal anywhere yet?

24. EforEx

EforEx New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    LOS ANGELES

First get a real SSS DC !@#$ ! U dont own anything until you lead this tournie dirty TT! u only tied it so u only just caught up be sure and thank archundria for that offside call gift cuz canada was robbed! no two ways about it! win a tournie clean before u call someone dirty! RSL kicked ur asss! how u like them apples!:D

25. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

In what way?