Gold Cup 2019: USYNT-Eligible Players Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 20, 2019.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Wow, didn't expect an offhand post about Canouse to lead to this much discussion.

More pertinently to this thread: Did Cannon leapfrog Lima in the pecking order?

2. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannon is one of those guys who you're not sure will move to Europe or not. I'd be curious if any scouts were watching tonight considering how well he played.

3. tippco333

tippco333 Member

AC Perugia
    United States
    Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The two main players from the GC roster I think would benefit most from a move to Europe would be Long & Cannon... So hoping that Cannon gets some traction. He needs to continue to develop his on ball poise & end product, but he certainly has some great tools.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I believe FCD has one more option on Cannon's contract for next season.
    (Same as with Pomykal). So a decision will probably need to be made really soon.
    Does he want to sign a big-money extension with FCD? Or does he want to give Europe a try? If he wants to give Europe a try than FCD will probably want to sell him in January. [Or sell him in this window and have him loaned back for the rest of the season like the Crew worked out with Steffen.]

When it comes to this Gold Cup, what people have to be excited about are the young players (Pulisic, McKennie, Cannon, etc.). They're about to supplemented by another batch; Sargent, Weah, Pomykal, and company.

Winoman repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Winoman and Peretz48 repped this.
  6. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I definitely was surprised and impressed by Cannon's performance. he largely held his own against Mexico, and two one touch passes into the box on long diagonals from Bradley were nice to see... the one touch element was especially nice. I think he has definitely worked himself into the squad rotation and is direct competition for Yedlin and Lima.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like how most people will accept this as true even though those two players get paid per game and might not appear for a while now (Lovitz may never be seen again) and the women's players get a yearly salary with benefits which actually helps keep new player like the female equivalents of Mihailovic and Lovitz from challenging for their spot. Everything is opinion presented as news. be nice if someone listed every men's and women's player for the last cycle and how much each made. Who paid it. Benifits etc. Stare and compare and let everyone decide themselves. Heck, I don't even know for sure. Everything is just bits and pieces here and there. In the spirit of togetherness the men should volunteer to re-do their contract at the same time as the women under identical terms (not including FIFA and CONCACAF stuff which they don't control).