Gold Cup 2017 - The Young & The Restless

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Apr 20, 2017.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce is turning out to have much higher entertainment value than Klinsmann. Here Bruce trolls BS:

Arena stated that anyone who thinks Bedoya should be dropped is "pretty stupid" and hailed Bedoya's contribution over the course of this month.

"[Bedoya] is a very good player. In this three, four-week period that we've been together he continues to demonstrate that he can play a number of positions," he said. "He's a really versatile player, and he does an excellent job with them."

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/...says-us-made-it-pretty-difficult-on-ourselves

2. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoting so BS reads twice.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nagbe is not in the top 10 of American players with assists. He is tied with Villareal and Ibarra with 3. Ben Sweat and Matt Polster beat him out with 4 each and they are fb's! Not to mention guys like Benny, Nguyen , Sacha et al.

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Assists aren't the only measure of creativity.

The bile Bedoya gets in the media and on BS has always puzzled. Within the team, he has a niche, in which he has excelled including against elite sides. His move to central midfield hopefully sees role expanding; Acosta and Roldan don't look ready to take the reins in central midfield.

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas has three there still. Acosta and Hedges and now Gonzalez.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and Heist repped this.
  6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so fast, tiger. Arena himself benched Bedoya the first time he had the opportunity and started a player with no previous NT experience (Lletget) over him in his first meaningful, must-win game as coach (home WCQ against Honduras). In fact, Bedoya was the only core player from the Jurgen era that didn't automatically get his job back for that game. To me that speaks volumes.

Having said that, it would be stupid to drop him from THIS camp at THIS time, since we don't seem to have a credible 8 otherwise.

deuteronomy repped this.
  8. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Philly - so why's Tim going on a tropical vacation and Mike headed back to the Canadian Tundra?

Also what are those microphone looking things? Some kind of 1st class pleasure device not afforded to the masses?

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena said "anyone who thinks Bedoya should be dropped is "pretty stupid" and Bedoya who captained the squad in 2 matches has been sent home for the birth of his 2nd child as planned. So it is not stupid to drop him from THIS camp at THIS time.

I am not sure what Arena starting Lletget v Honduras speaks to other than Arena preferring Lletget over Bedoya on that day for that role v that opponent, but this is BS so I am sure once I put on my tinfoil hat I too will hear volumes.

10. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is, nothing Bruce said invalidates most people's long-standing criticisms of Bedoya as an underwhelming player and wanting to see better options at his position. I mean, what do you expect him to say?

Bruce himself felt a completely inexperienced NT player would be an upgrade over Bedoya for a key match and was validated in that decision; Lletget scored his first NT goal, bringing himself to 50% of Bedoya's all-time total for the USA. That for me, is more telling; it's okay if you disagree.

11. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if joking...but its a lamp

deuteronomy repped this.