Giovanni Trapattoni: New Ireland manager - confirmed

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by SebastianK, Feb 4, 2008.

1. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He'll be assisted by Marco Tardelli.

2. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Re: It's Trapattoni!!!

Wow. So we've gone from hiring Stan whos only coaching/managerial experience was as an assistant coach at Walsall for a few months to this highly experienced individual. I guess the FAI realized their mistake.

Expect a lot of 1-0 wins. but I don't really care.

3. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia

Trust me, at this stage there is absolutely none that can be taken from our standpoint ;).

I am personally delighted with this appointment and can't help but think that if he turns this team around that Denis O'Brien deserves some form of national honour (with srd's point well-noted). It is obvious some of the things that Trappatoni is capable of bringing to our national team that have been missing since McCarthy, if not longer: solid tactical acumen, strong discipline and team spirit, intention on the day of the match, far better preparation, more respect amongst other nations (some will come automatically, the rest we will have to earn) and perhaps most of all - a belief that we have not had since 2002. All of these have been missing from the team in the last 5-6 years, in some cases only to an extent, while in others (*cough* tactics, preparation, intent *cough*) they have not even been an afterthought. So to have some of them restored, and others at a level that we potentially may have never seen (to be fair, Charlton nor McCarthy were tactical masterminds) is potentially huge news for us. Let's not get too carried away though, as our squad is nowhere near the quality that those two managers had.

Something that really interests me though, is what Trap might be able to get out of some of our fringe players. One example is Fat Man Reid, who if he could get whipped into shape and used correctly, as he has shown on a few recent internationals, could be that string-puller that we have needed from midfield for the longest time. I also think there is a chance for Liam Miller to even flourish somewhat, as he has shown flashes here and there (and was great vs. Brazil in the first half, fwiw) but needs to be used correctly as he is not a great player, but has some wonderful aspects to his game. Stephen Hunt, who has continuously been shafted from a well-deserved starting role over the last 12-18 months must be delighted at this as well, as he seems like the type of player that Trappatoni admires far more than those with more talent and less heart - as a Hunt fanboy, I am delighted with this. It is going to be very intersting to see how the team changes over his first few months in charge, especially given that besides reitrements, then Hunt, McGeady & Long on the bench and Doyle up front there have pretty much been no changes in the squad for close to half a decade. Perhaps a long-overdue captaincy for Dunne?

One thing that is obviously disappointing though, is that he will not be coming in until May. I mean, would it be so much to ask to arrange to friendlies or somesuch and try to get him to do part-time for them, just to get a bit familiar with the dsquad and that? Well, even if it winds up as Tardelli and Brady just assessing things for him in two matches of that sort it would be more helpful than nothing, even if less-than-satisfactory.

4. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

We have a friendly on May 24 against Serbia. I would hope Trap will request for a few more friendlies around the same time especially with Euro 2008 teams looking for warm up games. English season ends May 10ish, he should have a training camp from say May 17-31 with extra friendlies on May 28 & 31.

5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

I'll miss all those 3-0 and 4-0 wins we were having!

6. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Thats hilarious. Pity poor Stephen Ireland if he pulls another stunt.

7. Joseph_made_in_Italy

Sep 10, 2006
    hey, men...i don't know if you already know but your vice-manager is that guy..

[youtube]7XOL8o-3TZ8[/youtube]

8. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Fausto Rossi is the new fitness coach. Think he'll work with Mick Byrne?

We'll have a training camp in Portugal at the end of the season, and possibly a second friendly. Good news.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Marco Tardelli said on RAI's domenica sportiva's last night that when Trap called him to help out he was honored and that he still has a lot to learn from the master.

As far as Trap failing with Italy, he may have to a point. However, in 2002 anyway, if Vieri makes a sitter in front of the net and if referee Moreno doesn't red card Totti for no reason and if Ahn didn't all of sudden outjump Maldini......it would have been a different story.

10. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    i now expect us to be even more defensive than in the Jack C days

11. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, but also like the Charlton days we should have the talent and ability to get up the pitch - only this time between the Italians and our more attacking players it should hopefully be via other means than 'put em under pressah'. :D

12. NY Hoop

NY Hoop Member

Shamrock Rovers
    Jun 3, 2003
    Dublin
    Club:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Mick Byrne will be ********ed out immediately. Guy is an embarrassment and about as relevant as dummy.

KOH

13. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    News.........

14. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Thats great having Brady on board. He will give a lot of knowledge to Trap on the Irish players. And if he can get Finnan and O'Brien to change their minds, that would be a big plus.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How do you translate "Strunz" in Gaelic????

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Falvo? ;)

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    hehehe!
    :D

18. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    wow, hadn't seen that video of von trapp before :eek:

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is Trap going to eat pasta verde, pasta with spinach or pasta with pesto today?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    TRAP OUT!!!!!!!!!!:D

http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldF...13588420080323
    Trapattoni left fuming after Rapid thrashing
    Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:00pm GMT

[-] Text [+]

VIENNA, March 23 (Reuters) - The race for the Austrian league title was thrown dramatically open on Sunday when Salzburg were thrashed 7-0 at home by Rapid Vienna, who took over at the top of the standings.
    It was the biggest defeat for Austria's richest side since the club's takeover in 2005 by soft drink billionaire Dietrich Mateschitz and the worst ever for experienced Italian coach Giovanni Trapattoni.
    "It was not a defeat, it was a catastrophe," said the former Juventus, Bayern Munich and Italy coach, who is due to take over as Ireland manager in May.
    "I have never let in seven goals in 40 years as a professional -- neither as a player nor a trainer.
    "All the papers were talking this week about it being the game of the year, and it clearly got to the players," Trapattoni told Austrian news agency APA. "We were not physically, but mentally and organisationally weak."
    After becoming only the second team to win at Salzburg this season, Rapid now lead the standings by a single point from Salzburg with five matches remaining.
    "One point is not a big margin for Rapid," Trapattoni insisted. "We were favourites up until today, but we still have a chance to win the title."
    Rapid's victory has ensured that three teams are still in with a realistic chance of clinching the championship, with Linz a point behind Salzburg. (Writing by Mark Ledsom in Berne, editing by Rex Gowar)

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So he hasn't quit yet?

22. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Dunphy's 'rant' against Venables. Personally, I was never in favor of Venables, and was then shocked to find myself on the same side as Dunphy.

However I will say that Dunphy does make a compelling case with many of the reasons I was against Venables - primarily that Venables had done sweet fa in recent years.

[youtube]AbdOSylM-bM[/youtube]

[youtube]Q1p_uQwkekQ[/youtube]

23. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We don't know how Trapatoni will work out but I'm just glad we dont have Venebles.

24. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Lee Carsley on Liam Brady:

He told the Irish Daily Mirror: “Liam was one of the TV pundits and in the past some of the television pundits haven’t been kind to the players, so I think there will be a bit of anticipation there before things get going."

“We’ve not done well and he’s been commentating on what he’s seen, but the comments have not been kind so it will be a little difficult. I’m not sure about Liam’s role and I don’t know much about his coaching ability.”

25. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Anyone who inspires Liam Bradi (sorry Brady) to do a twirl to show off his Italian suit is fine by me.