Ghanian Prince Tagoe

Discussion in 'Africa' started by soccer krazy, Sep 18, 2006.

1. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    Can anybody tell me more on this guy? i heard he was supposed to be the next big thing from ghana.

2. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    He's been top scorer in the Ghanaian league 2004/05 and in winter 06 got an offer from Bundesliga side Mainz 05. Probably due to bad agent advice he however went to AFC Championsleague winner Al-Ittihad. He kept up scoring, but i don't have any statistics handy. Couple weeks ago he transferred to some obscure Arab club, I forgot the name but i never heard of it before.
    The whole story sounds like another case of very poor advising. Several other Ghanaian talents have experienced the same before and ended up in Vietnam, India, or some other Mickey Mouse league. Unfortunately, once you'r there it's very hard to get the attention of any serious club.

Anyway, he played for several youth teams and has a couple matches with the seniour NT as well, he was with the ANC 06 team in Egypt but failed to impress. Tagoe was 18 years old at that tournament and the whole team played pretty crappy, so that doesn't really tell much. I hope he'll be called for some of the upcoming test matches, being the host Ghana doesn't need to qualify for ANC 08.

Oh, about his playstyle, great player for quick counter attack like moves. Ver y fast paced, good ball control and calm finish.

3. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    He should have stayed in Germany.

4. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    He didn't get there in the first place unfortunately. Mainz were ready to sign the contract but he pulled out and went straight to Al-Ittihad. Some info suggests the Germans only wanted a loan deal, paying him something abyssmally small salary, but still. Given no major injuries he wouldn't have been there longer than a season anyway. As I said, the decision smells like bad advice.

5. SMSM

SMSM New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    www.55a.net
    now h€ play in u€a ..

h€ v€ry good tal€nt ..

idont know why h€ not play world cup !!!!!!

coach is sick !!h€ not tak€ him b€caus€ h€ play in crap l€agu€ lik€ arabia:D

h€ now go to u€a >>>mayb€ som€ y€ars h€ will go to franc€ lik€k€ata €lc

sorry €= e:D

6. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  7. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  8. StarStopper

StarStopper Member

Oct 30, 2006

Not only did he have an opportunity to ply his trade in Germany, but French club Strasbourg also wanted a shot at him. But apparently his agent at the time, Alhaji Bimbo (see the connection), convinced him to sign with the Saudi club.

According to the following article, the Saudi's offered him $50,000 a month and "$1million share exclusive of other remunerations" (whatever that means) for the 18 month transfer deal.

By comparison, the Germans offered "200,000 euros for the one-year period with the option of an outright transfer worth 600,000 euros after the loan term." What's not clear is whether that money goes to him or his former club.

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/soccer/artikel.php?ID=98556

Most people, I think, myself included, would have chosen Germany for the obvious reasons of playing in a big league with a chance to move on to an even bigger club. But we're not in his shoes and don't know his situation. Another reason may be that he thinks his national team play may help him make his move to Europe. Unfortunately for him though, he was not called up for Ghana's friendlies this month against Austria and Brazil.

9. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Al-Ittihad is a better club than Mainz...

10. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  11. Zimbabwe_National

Zimbabwe_National New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Tagoe is gettin looked at seriously, his going to europe after the Olympics watch. cuz the Olympics is gonna bolster him.

12. Bonizzoni

Bonizzoni Member

May 4, 2004
    São Paulo - Brasil
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkmenistan
    Good player.I saw some games when he was at Ittihad...believe me,better than Asamoah Gyan (and I'm a Udinese fan,so don't blame me).

13. StarStopper

StarStopper Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Not blaming you but please explain and give us more insight on why he's better than Gyan.

Gyan is playing against some of the best defenders in the world in a very competive Serie A.
    Tagoe, on the other hand, is in a league where former famous footballers go to retire.

Believe me, I'm not doubting Tagoe's skill/potential/talent, I'm just wondering how you arrived at that conclusion considering that they're at very different stages of their careers playing against very different levels of competition.

14. Zimbabwe_National

Jan 15, 2007
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Tagoe is the future period.

15. StarStopper

StarStopper Member

Oct 30, 2006

Well there you have it folks... A very complete and thorough analysis :rolleyes:

16. Zimbabwe_National

Jan 15, 2007
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    another non african soccer knowing fan. stick to europe bud ;)

17. StarStopper

StarStopper Member

Oct 30, 2006
    So now I'm European? Right...

Why don't you check my previous posts before making such an ignorant comment.

18. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    There's no point comparing Tagoe and Djan at this time. The Prince of goals has been scoring consistently everywhere he went, but so far that's only been backwater leagues. He's however been improving on his weaknesses, namely the physical strength.

Asamoah Gyan would probably do much better in England than he does in Italy.

Until Tagoe moves to a big league we just won't know though. His performances for the Meteors have been rather mixed, the Egypt 06 appearance was too early and skewed by the poor performance of the Black Stars in general.

19. MareTzar

MareTzar New Member

May 21, 2008
    He coming in Serbian largest club Red Star Belgrade. He had offer from Atalanta Bergamo too, but he decided to come in Red Star and make good progess of further career.

20. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    Prince Tagoe scored the winning goal today for Ghana in their WCQ match today!

21. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  22. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    SkySports say he joins Hoffenheim. Today he was taking part of the training.

How good is he really ?

23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    to be honest, he is very good from what we all seen, but the worry is, how will he fare against better and bigger opponents with actual talent and can match up to his ability because in Arabia and in those other middle eastern north african leagues he was tearin teams new A holes and running around them like nothing scoring almost easily at will. but none the less he has serious skills. good signing.

24. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    Here is the skysport link
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12875_5336790,00.html

Im really glad to see that he has joined a team in which im sure he will get playing time and im eager to see him play against better player now! and plus now that he is in germany i will get to see some of his games :)

25. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia

What are you talking about man? Scoring like nothing? His personal best is joint 4th place in the scorer's list last season with 5 other players.

This season he only scored 4 goals out of 22 league matches!