Getting around Russia

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Simon Overall, Oct 2, 2017.

1. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    No I know that and can book other routes for weeks but this particular route you can't actually click on?

2. Fussball_eh

Fussball_eh Member

May 26, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Is this the accommodation thread as well? If not please point me to the right one. I was checking AirBNB's and hotels in cities that have Round of 16 and quarter final games. Especially smaller cities have super inflated prices. I'm shocked.

3. Nick Kharchenko

FC Baltika, Kaliningrad, Russia
    Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
  4. DunMacLeod

DunMacLeod Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Ah, ok, it's something I've didn't see before. So it seems then. It might have to do with Belorussian transit, I would guess.

I had another issue, one of the trains from moscow to sochi (portugal vs spain) don't show any places, and I'm here hoping that it will so I can go on it. 17 hours difference!

themanlarry repped this.
  5. Mahmoud Abdelhamid

Al Ahly
    Egypt
    Nov 21, 2017
    Am I the only one finding difficulties to book the newly added free train routes?

6. UrNumbrOneCrush

Manchester United and FC Barcelona
    United States
    Apr 18, 2006
    Austin, TX USA!
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean by that? I booked moscow to kazan the othwr day with no problem

7. Mahmoud Abdelhamid

Al Ahly
    Egypt
    Nov 21, 2017
    I used to fill the form for every train I book, for the new trains it didn’t work until I picked a passenger from the suggestions while filling!

Did it work fine for you without picking any suggestions?

8. Dumbo

Dumbo New Member

Dec 21, 2017
    I cant book also, after filling correct data and pressing the red button to book, I get a processing popup then it loads the very same page without any errors or anything, I cant find a way to pass to the next step.

I've also tried adding the passengers in the account settings, after filling all data, nothing happens when I press add passanger

9. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    For those who will swap tickets with someone , will our tickets be controlled in the plane/train or only our fan ID ?

10. Mahmoud Abdelhamid

Al Ahly
    Egypt
    Nov 21, 2017
    In additional trains yes.

11. DunMacLeod

DunMacLeod Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Are you sure you did everything needed? Like, for instance, selecting your place on the train?
    I had this problem because I was trying to reserve on a train without available places, so it does not show anything there. But the ones with available places you can choose without a problem.
    Stupid system, should warn you that there is no available places...

12. Alopez

Alopez Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Birmingham
    Any idea how long it will take to get from SVO to DME? Early Saturday morning time frame.

13. Dumbo

Dumbo New Member

Dec 21, 2017
    yeah whole train is available and i selected the spots..

14. Jenya

Jenya New Member

Melbourne Victory
    Australia
    Dec 24, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    it's about 2 hr ride A to B via Moscow ring road, Transfer time should not be less than 5 hr I recon

15. Jenya

Jenya New Member

Melbourne Victory
    Australia
    Dec 24, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Its still very good option to commute directly between regional cities as free trains very limited there - say on the route between Volgograd and Samara or Rostov.

Those have no experience with russian trains (RZD) just have to accept this reality: Slow train is not your enemy – it’s your friend.
    1. It doesn’t cost you much
    2. Has very extensive coverage between main cities.
    3. Helps you to save on greedy hotels/Airbnb with comfortable overnight o the rails. In fact for cities relatively close to Moscow the slower it is the better coz what you gonna do if you catch fast 4 hr train after game arriving like 2am in the night? Right, 10 hr is better as you arrive fresh and save 1 night accommodation costs.
    4. Despite low cost it’s quite high standard safe comfortable sleep trains. Rails in Russia overall far better developed compare to Australia for example where is just ugly expensive joke.
    5. Main one – in Russia train ride is not just A to B, its experience by itself. Take the opportunity to see the country, relax with you friends or meet locals for a little chat.

JF1903, rafael_mia, Red Crash and 3 others repped this.
  16. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    hello everyone ,
    Can someone tell me if we are allowed to travel to non-host cities ( i would be surprised if not). I am more and more thinking about selling 3 matches out of the 6 I 've got so I enjoy 1 week of football (still with travelling outside host cities on days where I have no match to see) and another week to discover Russia.
    What are the registration rules if you for example spend 1 week in Buryatia or in Kamchatka ? Do you have to register at the police after 1 day or 3 days ?

17. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As long as you register in the city you are in then you go wherever you like

18. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    thank you.
    Do I have to clarify my full journey at the first day when I fill in the immigration card ? I'd be happy if someone can clarify this. I ve asked the embassy here where I m residing and they told me that "they don't know"

19. Nick Kharchenko

Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    You have to be registered by a hotel or yourself in every city you are visiting.
    - If you stay longer than 24 hours in host cities
    - if you are staying longer than 7 working days for all other cities.

Still looking for any valid official information about that in English.

20. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    #145 ChristianRevolution, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    thank you Nick.
    It actually makes no sense at all , surely most of people will stay a lot in world cup cities and 20.000 people cannot register all at the police on the same day.
    Does the tourist have to go to register himself or it is the responsibility of the host person to register ?

21. Nick Kharchenko

Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    If you are staying at the hotel - it's their duty.

Some small lazy hostels are trying to ignore that rule and asking guests to register themselves.

In case of Airbnb, rooms for rent, etc. - it's your problem, but you could try to ask your host for some assistance.

p.s. And we don't know if anyone will ever check if you have registered or not... :whistling:

22. Nick Kharchenko

Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

Free trains to Kaliningrad are available for booking now. No good news about Belarus and Lithuania transit options. :(
    https://tickets.transport2018.com/free-train/schedule
    For registration in an additional train in the city Kaliningrad, foreign nationals need to have a document authorizing transit through the territory of the Republic of Lithuania and the Republic of Belarus.

23. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    I am almost sure noone is checking , but I prefer to do everything clean so in case of issue I can have my conscience clear. I also think it s not such a big deal to take 30 minutes of your life to register.
    And you never know with bombings or other problems , it 's best to be out of trouble being registered at the police.

Nick Kharchenko repped this.
  24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man that is pretty far from even the most eastern World Cup city.

25. Jenya

Jenya New Member

Melbourne Victory
    Australia
    Dec 24, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    it is, but really worth to visit. Kamchatka is amazing place with active volcanoes almost within city limits.
    What is 9 hr domestic flight if you plan like a week brake from World Cup? Go for it!