Getting around Russia

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Simon Overall, Oct 2, 2017.

1. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    For train power outlets, I can't remember where I read or saw it (may have been a youtube video) but for the trains used in Confed Cup and in examples of the free trains that depending on how old the train is some of them have power outlets in each cabin and the others have them at each end of the carriage aisle. Hopefully, they upgraded all the trains but you never know ;)

Mahmoud Abdelhamid repped this.
  2. DunMacLeod

DunMacLeod Member

Oct 31, 2017
    My experience with russian trains and power outlets have been mixed.
    During my trips I've had more without it than with it, but the kupes (the ones we are getting for free) usually have one under the center table. It might not work thou.

Would rely on the power banks...

Mahmoud Abdelhamid repped this.
  3. UrNumbrOneCrush

Manchester United and FC Barcelona
    United States
    Apr 18, 2006
    Austin, TX USA!
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whats the link to book the free trains?

4. DunMacLeod

DunMacLeod Member

Oct 31, 2017
    https://tickets.transport2018.com

Did anyone notice any difference on the timetables so far?

UrNumbrOneCrush repped this.
  5. Carlozik

Carlozik New Member

Poland
    Dec 2, 2017
    Some are still unavailable, with the info:
    Processing for free of charge travel on this additional train will be done after 15.12.2017.

6. mkdaman1818

mkdaman1818 Member

Manchester United
    Canada
    Feb 16, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I still don’t see fast trains between Moscow and St. Petersburg

7. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You won’t they are only listed 60 days out and I highly doubt they will be free

8. JaWC2014

JaWC2014 Member

Rapids/FC Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 9, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone been able to book a train?
    Also, I don't see the cabin options. Anyone know?

9. Fedechat

Fedechat Member

Argentina
    Apr 30, 2014
    South Florida, USA
    I was able to book a couple of weeks ago, they will ask you for your tickets numbers (well Fifa confirmation number), Fan ID number and passport info, you will be able to select Cart Nº and seats, then you will receive an email saying this

In other words, they will send you the boarding pass in April/May 2018 after confirming the information.

themanlarry and JaWC2014 repped this.
  10. JaWC2014

JaWC2014 Member

Rapids/FC Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 9, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info

11. azevedof

azevedof Member

May 1, 2014
    Natal
    Club:
    America Natal
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Damn it! Considering the way they wrote, I assume that they will check "the purchase of a ticket to the upcoming World Cup’2018 match".

I have a FanID, however, I don't have yet a ticket match for the specific match that I was thinking of booking the train.
    So, in case my friend is the one who gets me a ticket for that match, I would be his guest, I will have to book using his successful application number?

12. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    A few of the services I've seen arrive the morning of the matches, some within a couple of hours of the kickoff. That seems unnecessarily risky given the nature of rail travel.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  13. DunMacLeod

DunMacLeod Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Traveled a lot by train on Russia and can't remember any big delay that would make it go south...

14. azevedof

azevedof Member

May 1, 2014
    Natal
    Club:
    America Natal
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As you have experience, how long before the train departs would you recommend to be at the train station?

15. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    For those looking to take trains other than the free trains (eg. Sapsan between Moscow and SPB): Russian Railways changed the date for when you can first purchase tickets. It used to be 60 days in advance. Now it’s 90.

rafael_mia, BuddhaWake and vamoBrasil repped this.
  16. UrNumbrOneCrush

Manchester United and FC Barcelona
    United States
    Apr 18, 2006
    Austin, TX USA!
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is st pete to helsinki also 90 days?

17. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No, that’s still 60 days.

18. MattC

MattC Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Is there any indication that the airlines will be releasing more flights in the coming months? I keep hearing whispers and rumours they will, though I've read nothing official.

I'm currently contemplating if I should book flights that are currently expensive, badly timed and/or require Moscow stopovers. As inconvenient as some of them are, it would be even more inconvenient if they sell out and I have to book something even worse...

19. DunMacLeod

DunMacLeod Member

Oct 31, 2017
    I would say surely half an hour to an hour. So you can get into it without a hurry and to your place.

But I've boarded in the last minutes as well, but I don't really enjoy going crazy to get there. It is usually pretty punctual.

azevedof repped this.
  20. DunMacLeod

DunMacLeod Member

Oct 31, 2017
    I don't have any info on that, but I'm not expecting the prices going any lower, even if they did put extra flights.

21. DunMacLeod

DunMacLeod Member

Oct 31, 2017
    And on a final note:

Didn't see any changes to the timetable of the free trains. The only thing that changed was that they don't mention the date of 15th of December as update date anymore.

Tried to find more info on the status of this, but couldn't.

Did anyone see any changes on the availability prior and after the 15th?

22. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Nope :( I've checked once or twice a day for atleast the last month for an update on the train I want to book (Moscow - Kaliningrad for match #26) but it still has that "Processing for free of charge travel on this additional train will be done after 15.12.2017" and unable to book. No rush though and they never responded to an email a few weeks ago regarding needing a Belarus transit visa on this route so they are obviously very busy sorting out their train schedules or headed off for Christmas holidays early.

23. DunMacLeod

DunMacLeod Member

Oct 31, 2017
    I take it back, there's new stuff there as of today.

24. azevedof

azevedof Member

May 1, 2014
    Natal
    Club:
    America Natal
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've noticed that Pobeda Airlines just release their flights 90 days before the departure date. So keep your eyes on them in March, for your possible dates. @popularside also mentioned in the ticket thread, that a lot of Aeroflot flights are still held back. Keep your eyes on them too!

I have a ticket to Argentina vs. Iceland match in Moscow on the 16th of June, and Brazil is playing in Rostov on Don on the following day. Currently, there's one only available flight that I could take so I would arrived on time for Brazil's match, but they are charging over US$350 for one way ticket. Completely out of my budget! As soon as Pobeda release the flight, I will probably get with them!

25. DunMacLeod

DunMacLeod Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Well, I did book last week with success a lot of trains. Why weren't you capable of doing it?