Getting around Russia

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Simon Overall, Oct 2, 2017.

1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just realized Kaliningrad and Volgograd are not within walking distance of each other...

2. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Good joke! Russia isn't exactly a small country or anything. It's crazy how you see people on other forums like Tripadvisor or facebook who have bought tickets and then comment about the distances and costs of travelling between them. You'd think they would have looked at a map at least before committing to tickets.

3. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Paid train tickets (including Moscow-SPB high-speed trains) went on sale for June 14 (the day of the opening match) today on https://pass.rzd.ru/main-pass/public/en. Here's a conversion chart for the rest of the tournament.

Attached Files:

4. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Thank you for posting this :D Saved me waking up on a Sunday at 6am for nothing (I had my dates wrong by a few days).

5. Simon Overall

Simon Overall Member

Sydney FC
    Australia
    May 7, 2014
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Did anyone else get an odd message from the Free train team?

6. Licho

Licho Member

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jan 10, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Describe odd

7. Chiyakkutan

Chiyakkutan Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Hawai'i
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You sir, are appreciated. I had a crude version of my own. Went on yesterday and booked my VIP suite on the Red Arrow from St Pete to Moscow. Stoked!

NickK repped this.
  8. Licho

Licho Member

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jan 10, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #458 Licho, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Ok, so now we can do a little comparison among the different ways of buying train tickets.

I picked the most popular sites (according to my research) and I'm taking a sample by selecting the cheaper seat in RDZ (the official site) and then searching that specific train in the other sites. We will see how much are those other sites grossing up the cost.

Just bear in mind that some people reported problems when they tried to pay thru RZD and said that the other sites dont have that problem. If that is your case, at least try to go thru the 3rd party site that charges you less. Another reported benefit from the 3rd party sites is that they usually have a customer support in english, in case that any of you finds that important.

I did some searches for my own trip, taking JUNE 14th as reference. I share them below:

MOSCOW-SPB
    Regular Seat on Fast Train - Train # 768 - 4 hours
    RZD : 45 USD
    Russian Trains: 89 USD
    Russian Rail: 73 USD
    Tutu Travel: 52 USD
    UFS: 51 USD

MOSCOW-SPB
    Bed in 2nd Class compartment (overnight train) -Train # 056A - 8 hours
    RZD : 29 USD
    Russian Trains: 71 USD
    Russian Rail: 46 USD
    Tutu Travel: 34 USD
    UFS: 33 USD

NiNo-SPB
    Bed in 2nd Class compartment (overnight train) -Train # 059 - 14 hours
    RZD : 57 USD
    Russian Trains: 140 USD
    Russian Rail: 92 USD
    Tutu Travel: 65 USD
    UFS: 67 USD

Final Thoughts:
    1) As you can see, the official site has always the best price, followed by Tutu and UFS (I actually think that those sites are somehow related).
    2) UFS is the easiest site to use.
    3) Russiantrains and Russian Rail prices are ripoffs
    4) At least at the moment when tickets go to sale, they are maintaining the same initial price as any other given day. There is no WC "premium" price.
    5) Regarding the previous point, bear in mind that the prices fluctuate according to the demand (as a plane ticket), so book your trains as soon as possible.
    6) My strategy would be to try to book first directly through RZD and my plan B will be UFS
    7) Even if you decide to go directly thru 3rd parties, ALWAYS check first the train-table in RZD. I saw some trains that were NOT offered in UFS (weird)

9. Chiyakkutan

Chiyakkutan Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Hawai'i
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Good comparisons, thanks for sharing. I decided to try to buy mine direct, as if I can do it myself, I don’t need to pay someone else a commission. Used my Chase Sapphire Reserve Card (USA issued), and had zero problems. I created a profile first with all of my information, which made it easier when booking my ticket.

I didn’t get a confirmation email from them, but a confirmation page with options of PDF and a few others. I printed the pdf, and emailed it to myself and verified the charge is on my Chase card, and I’m good to go.

One thing to remember, if booking with RZD, when time to input your information, don’t use “international passport” for your passport, or you will get an error. Use “foreign document” instead. I had a confusing time with that until I saw that advice on some webpage.

10. lufcinsfo

lufcinsfo Member

leeds united
    Republic of Ireland
    Dec 12, 2017
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Some advice for anyone who wants to book a flight on Ural Airlines: use PayPal.

The Ural Airlines website has trouble processing electronic payments. I tried paying for a flight on their website using both a Visa and a MasterCard and on both Safari and Chrome. The charge failed each time even though both "Verified by Visa" and MasterCard assured me there was no problem. In fact, they said they never even saw an attempted charge and guessed the problem was with Ural's website. I tried booking the flight on Kayak and it also failed there.

But Ural also allows PayPal so I tried that (linked to the same Visa that had not worked before). The website still seemed to fail but the charge went through and I received receipts from both Sberbank and the airline.

This whole process took two days because there was only one seat left at the price I was trying to pay. After each failure, a new higher price would be quoted for some time until their internal system returned the ticket I was trying to buy to the inventory.

Chiyakkutan repped this.
  11. Simon Overall

Simon Overall Member

Sydney FC
    Australia
    May 7, 2014
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Maybe Nick can pls translate:

Добрый день!
    К сожалению, по техническим причинам сроки проверки номера заявки\билета на матч увеличены.
    В случае не одобрения проверки данных на матч (номера подтверждения на приобретение входного билета на матч Чемпионата мира 2018) на адрес электронной почты, указанный при регистрации, будет направлено письмо с причиной отказа бронирования билета на поезд, а также изменится статус в Личном кабинете в разделе "Мои заказы".
    В случае успешной проверки данных , не ранее чем за 60 суток до отправления поезда в личный кабинет Портала, а также на адрес электронной почты будет направлен посадочный купон.
    После получения посадочного купона процесс оформления бесплатного проезда на дополнительном поезде считается завершенным.
    Спасибо, что обратились в службу поддержки.

12. Licho

Licho Member

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jan 10, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Do you show your train booking as “data sent to be checked”? Because according to google translate it seems like your booking verification is taking more time than usual

Translation:
    Good afternoon!
    Unfortunately, due to technical reasons, the deadline for checking the number of the application / ticket for the match is increased.
    In the event that the verification of the match data (confirmation number for the purchase of the entrance ticket for the 2018 World Cup match) is not approved, an email with the reason for refusing the ticket reservation for the train will be sent to the e-mail address specified during registration, and the status in the Personal Account section in the section "My orders".
    In case of successful verification of the data, a boarding coupon will be sent to the e-mail address not earlier than 60 days before the departure of the train to the personal cabinet of the Portal.
    After receiving the landing coupon, the process of issuing a free ride on an additional train is considered complete.
    Thank you for contacting our support team.

13. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    Does anybody know if there is a paid train between Samara and Sochi?

14. Simon Overall

Simon Overall Member

Sydney FC
    Australia
    May 7, 2014
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Nope it says Data checked in fact.

15. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Looks like there are one, two, or three departures on that route per day.

16. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    What website did you use to check?

I'm still trying to figure out how to get to Sochi

17. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
  18. vamoBrasil

vamoBrasil Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Can anyone tell me the difference between Red Arrow second class vs any other train second class?

19. EricJohn

EricJohn Member

Oct 18, 2017

This happened to me yesterday. I booked on the Ural site. I was confused but called Ural directly and the Russian woman explained that international credit cards will not work. And that I would have to use Pay Pal. So I did and was actually able to book 2 flights with them.

Now I just hope hey are a reliable and safe airline.

20. Donal

Donal Member

Arsenal
    Republic of Ireland
    Jan 13, 2018
    My dates for a train aren't available yet but looking at your day a ticket for a first class sleeper train from Moscow to Nizhny is €70 per person. Do you know if those prices would have been cheaper when they first went online earlier today?

Also it has a picture of a meal. Do they provide you with a dinner in the middle of the night or what?

2nd class is decent price wise at 30 euro each but is it recommended as you have to share with other people?

21. MattC

MattC Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Aeroflot. I booked it months ago though

22. pfc_ivan

pfc_ivan Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Club:
    FK Partizan Beograd
    Is it possible that return flights from SPB to KGD are around $250 USD? It's only a 1.5h flight...

23. Licho

Licho Member

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jan 10, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course it is possible. Specially since the demand is increasing by the day.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Thanks. Do you know what time each 'new day' opens up to buy train tickets for? i.e. what time during the day on March 20th can we start buying tickets for June 17th? Is it midnight Moscow time (17h00 EDT June 16)?

25. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    08:00 Moscow time.

vamoBrasil, NickK and BocaFan repped this.