Getting around Russia

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Simon Overall, Oct 2, 2017.

1. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Yeah i think probably a better idea. Fly to Kazan from St Petersburg with connection in Moscow.

After Kazan match, take overnight train (under 15 hours) back to Moscow.

2. Danny Ascencio

Fc Barcelona
    Argentina
    Feb 22, 2018
    Dallas, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As plan B to fly there or just sell the ticket? I am scared their might be a problem traveling to Kaliningrad. Wouldn’t mind taking the 20 hour train there if theirs no problem with that. Seems like all accommodation in Kaliningrad is expensive. Just be there for the England game and leave at night , that’s my plan

3. Danny Ascencio

Fc Barcelona
    Argentina
    Feb 22, 2018
    Dallas, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have question, I am trying to book a free train with my fan id which I have in hand. And it keeps telling me my fan id number is incorrect.

When they asked for the fan I’d number is the 6 degit number in the back correct?
    I checked my email of my fan I’d it has the same five starting numbers but the last one is different from the hard copy fan I’d, isthat a problem?

4. lufcinsfo

lufcinsfo Member

leeds united
    Republic of Ireland
    Dec 12, 2017
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I just checked our three IDs. On each, the number on the back is 1 higher than the number of the electronic application. How weird! In any case, use the number you received electronically when booking the train.

5. Danny Ascencio

Fc Barcelona
    Argentina
    Feb 22, 2018
    Dallas, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that’s kind of weird , I’ll tried both fan I’d numbers and for some reason I am having trouble with it. Idk if it just because is the train route from Moscow to Kaliningrad. But it keeps saying my fan I’d is incorrect

6. Nate Kurdurka

Nate Kurdurka Member

manU
    United States
    Jan 30, 2018
    Anyone planning on going to Saransk? I am going to the Colombia Japan match there, and I'm not sure if anyone has seen the prices for lodging in Saransk, but they are absuuurd. So my plan is to take the night train in from Moscow, arrive to Saransk at 10am, watch the game at 3 pm, then get the hell out of there.

I want to head north to Nizhny Novgorod, but trains going there only leave in the morning. Otherwise, the only trains would take me all the way back to Moscow, then all the way from Moscow to Nizhny, probably a trip with total time being almost 20 hours.

Going direct from Saransk to Nizhny is only about 4 hours in car. So does anyone know of good websites to look for buses, or car sharing schemes that I could use to go from Saransk to Nizhny?

7. Danny Ascencio

Fc Barcelona
    Argentina
    Feb 22, 2018
    Dallas, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey is anyone else having issue booking their free train?

I keep getting an issue for my fan I’d but I am putting the correct number.

Does anyone know what I can do ?
    This is frustrating

8. [QUOTE = "Nate Kurdurka, post: 36372752, участник: 307810"] Кто-нибудь планирует отправиться в Саранск? Я собираюсь на матч Колумбии в Японии, и я не уверен, что кто-то видел цены на жилье в Саранске, но они абсурдны. Поэтому я планирую взять ночной поезд из Москвы, прибыть в Саранск в 10 утра, посмотреть игру в 3 часа дня, а потом убраться оттуда.

Я хочу отправиться на север в Нижний Новгород, но поезда отправляются туда только утром. В противном случае, единственные поезда доставят меня обратно в Москву, а затем из Москвы в Нижний, вероятно, поездку с общим временем почти 20 часов.

Прямой из Саранска в Нижний - всего около 4 часов в машине. Так кто-нибудь знает хорошие сайты, чтобы искать автобусы или схемы обмена автомобилями, которые я мог бы использовать для перехода из Саранска в Нижний? [/ QUOTE]
    From Saransk to Nizhny Novgorod there is a bus at 1:50 am, arrival in Nizhny Novgorod at 7 am. Since the bus starting point of Saratov, and in Saransk it passes, so to buy tickets in advance is not possible. But the chances are that you will be able to go there. https://m.avtovokzaly.ru/avtobus/saratov-nizhnij/4424/355443/19814/14933 Also at the bus station can be fellow travelers and may find a taxi.

Nate Kurdurka repped this.
  9. Nick Kharchenko

FC Baltika, Kaliningrad, Russia
    Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    - Regular train should be ok. But there is a risk of getting some bad roommate
    - A free train full of football fans... I don't know :)

tudobem62014, 3LionsCoaching and Licho repped this.
  10. Nick Kharchenko

Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    It's up to you to decide. Quite important game to see. But you can skip it and swap a ticket to visit some other match in "Big" Russia.

11. Danny Ascencio

Fc Barcelona
    Argentina
    Feb 22, 2018
    Dallas, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn’t want to skip it, that’s one of the main games I am looking forward to see! But my only problem is, if I take the train if I would have trouble crossing through Lithuania .

12. Nick Kharchenko

Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Do you mean Belarus? Or you need a visa to Lithuania too?

13. Danny Ascencio

Fc Barcelona
    Argentina
    Feb 22, 2018
    Dallas, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry not too familiar with which one. I think you might be correct. The train sounds fun from Moscow but might be a hassle also

14. Licho

Licho Member

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jan 10, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Use the number you received when you applied for the FAN ID which should be one number less than the actual FAN ID that you received by mail. It should work

15. Danny Ascencio

Fc Barcelona
    Argentina
    Feb 22, 2018
    Dallas, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have use both of them repetitive of times and is still not working. honestly don't even know why is not letting me. Is so strange

16. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We get so screwed domestically in Oz looking at the flight. I can barely get to Brisbane from Adelaide for 177AUD

17. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Has anybody tried logging into the free train website lately? I'm getting this error:

Your connection is not private
    Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.tickets.transport2018.com(for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

Looks scary :p

18. #418 Y tu mama tambien, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    www.tickets.transport2018.com is not the correct URL

it is
    https://tickets.transport2018.com

the Certificate is not setup to correctly handle www.tickets, so it complains that the site you are trying to access through HTTPS is not secure.

If you look at the certificat you'll see

Common Name (CN)
    *.transport2018.com

Wildcards on domain only work for single level subdomains, not multi-level.
    so tickets.transport2018.com matches the wildcard+name in the cert, but www.tickets.transport2018.com does not, hence the browser tells you the cert is invalid.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5295521/problems-with-ssl-and-multi-level-subdomains

Pønch repped this.
  19. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Gracias compadre

20. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    Tell me about it....

I'm happy with that. Minimal stop over time. Now the challenge is to find my transfer to Kazan for our first game. Looking at $110 a pop here

21. DJPedram

DJPedram Member

Manchester City
    Iran
    Feb 20, 2018
    I got my free train ticket from Kazan to Moscow. Just got o find out the best flight to Kazan from St. Petersburg.

22. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    Got a free train instead. Figured I'd save on transport and accommodation. I guess you've got to try it once for the experience too

themanlarry repped this.
  23. Chiyakkutan

Chiyakkutan Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Hawai'i
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Looks like more trains have been added, but I think they screwed up on the dates. I’m looking at the COL-JPN match, and now trains after the game show dates like July 1 and July 3.
    There are no games in Saransk near those dates, so it must be a mistake.

IMG_3403.JPG

24. Nate Kurdurka

Nate Kurdurka Member

manU
    United States
    Jan 30, 2018
    I am also trying to book the free train for the Colombia Japan match in Saransk.

However, when I am entering my information on the webpage, the part with "choice of carriage and seat" comes up completely blank. There is nothing in the box and no option of choosing anything. I read somewhere else that you choose this part after entering in all the personal information.

So I enter everything in, click submit, and they don't show me any error sign, it seems like they accepted all of my information plus the fan ID number and ticket request number.

However, in the part about the carriage and seating options, it shows this.
    In small red print, it says "select a seat in carriage" but there are not options shown.

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 2.58.41 PM.png

Anyone else hit this roadblock?

I was thinking that maybe this train doesnt have any spots left on it. But I tried with several other trains that arrive on that same morning and all of them give me this same problem.

25. Chiyakkutan

Chiyakkutan Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Hawai'i
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That means there are no seats left. You have to try another train.

Just as a test, go try another match (like Russia-S. Arabia). You’ll see plenty of seats.

I ran into this as well in the beginning and was confused until I figured it out. Would have been nice for the website to just say “no remaining seats”. That would be too easy though. ;)

henriology and Nate Kurdurka repped this.