Germany vs Poland [R]

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Smoga, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    OK...time to avenge the extra time WC 2006 defeat for Poland, or business as usual? As a reminder, Poland has never beaten Germany or West Germany, in a tournament match, qualifiers or in a friendly. (East Germany, yes)

Both coaches have called up preliminary squads, with a couple of players to be dropped from each squad prior to the game:

Germany
    Goalkeepers: Jens Lehmann (Arsenal FC), Robert Enke (Hannover 96), René Adler (Bayer 04 Leverkusen).

Defenders: Christoph Metzelder (Real Madrid CF), Per Mertesacker (Werder Bremen), Philipp Lahm (FC Bayern München), Arne Friedrich (Hertha BSC Berlin), Marcell Jansen (FC Bayern München), Clemens Fritz (Werder Bremen), Heiko Westermann (FC Schalke 04).

Midfielders: Michael Ballack (Chelsea FC), Thomas Hitzlsperger (VfB Stuttgart), Simon Rolfes (Bayer 04 Leverkusen), Torsten Frings (Werder Bremen), Bastian Schweinsteiger (FC Bayern München), Piotr Trochowski (Hamburger SV), Tim Borowski (Werder Bremen), Jermaine Jones (FC Schalke 04), David Odonkor (Real Betis Balompié), Marko Marin (VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach).

Forwards: Miroslav Klose (FC Bayern München), Lukas Podolski (FC Bayern München), Mario Gómez (VfB Stuttgart), Kevin Kuranyi (FC Schalke 04), Oliver Neuville (VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach), Patrick Helmes (1. FC Köln).

Poland
    Goalkeepers: Artur Boruc (Celtic FC), Tomasz Kuszczak (Manchester United FC), Łukasz Fabiański (Arsenal FC).

Defenders: Jacek Bąk (FK Austria Wien), Marcin Wasilewski (RSC Anderlecht), Paweł Golański (FC Steaua Bucureşti), Mariusz Jop (FC Moskva), Adam Kokoszka (Wisła Kraków), Jakub Wawrzyniak (Legia Warszawa), Michał Żewłakow (Olympiacos CFP), Grzegorz Bronowicki (FK Crvena Zvezda).

Midfielders: Dariusz Dudka (Wisła Kraków), Wojciech Łobodziński (Wisła Kraków), Jakub Błaszczykowski (BV Borussia Dortmund), Mariusz Lewandowski (FC Shakhtar Donetsk), Rafał Murawski (Lech Poznań), Łukasz Garguła (GKS Bełchatów), Jacek Krzynówek (VfL Wolfsburg), Radosław Majewski (Groclin Grodzisk Wielkopolski), Michał Pazdan (Górnik Zabrze), Roger Guerreiro (Legia Warszawa).

Forwards: Euzebiusz Smolarek (Real Racing Club Santander), Maciej Żurawski (Larissa FC), Tomasz Zahorski (Górnik Zabrze), Radosław Matusiak (Wisła Kraków), Marek Saganowski (Southampton FC).

2. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Germany vs Poland

I everything goes as it should, Germany will win this.

3. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Poland are strong and have as good a chance as croatia of qualifying from the group IMO. Not to sound arrogant but I think Germany will come first, so I see either a draw (possibly) or a win (probably) for Germany in this game.

4. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Normally I'd say this should be a win for Germany. It's Poland's first appearance at the Euro, and that brings a lot of pressure with it. There's going to be a few players not being able to deal with it you'd think.

However, they have Beenhakker as their coach. The guy has so much experience, and is well known for his player management. A true psychologist he is, and able to do wonders with it. He's actually a bit happy that Poland lost against the US, as the Polish were on a high after topping the group above Portugal.

I'd not be surprised if Poland causes a few surprises.

5. Buschkauz

Buschkauz New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    im Pfälzer Wald

first game is always tough. i expect a tight game, maybe germany wins 1-0 or 2-1.

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Well, Poland beat Ecuador 3-1 (?) in a friendly just a few months before the WC. During the group stages of the WC, they then got schooled by the South American team IN Germany, right over the fence...with a strong polish home crowd. So ya never, ever know with these things. Friendlies mean jack! Look at it like that!

7. Marbur66

Marbur66 New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Canada

Germany is the obvious heavy favourite in this match-up, no question about it. I think they will either wax Poland as the Poles fall apart, or a surprise win for the Poles. It's just a gut feeling. I don't think it will be a draw or a close, late victory for the Germans (like WC 2006).

8. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

I know friendlies don't mean a thing. The loss against the US wasn't my point. My point was that Beenhakker can use a loss this close to the tournament to his team's advantage in a way very few can.

9. marcin79

marcin79 New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Warszawa, Poland

I think that Germany and Poland teams have one thing in common. They are both more valuable as a team than quality of single players could suggest. With all the respect for players like Ballack, Klose etc I think that German squad is personally weaker than for example Italy, Spain, France, Portugal or England. But when it comes to games, they are at least the same level. Similary with Poland, but in other scope. Looking at Polish players, the clubs in which they play, their role in European football - and most notably, Polish clubs place in European football - we shouldn't even be at Euro 2008, we shouldn't win 4 points against Portugal in qualifiers, and we shouldn't finish above Serbia.

So it can be game between teams basing on team spirit, reliability and good tactical approach, short on technical brilliancy and real genius. Both Germany and Poland can't afford making mistakes. Germany have to play perfectly to beat teams with bigger quantity of natural talent, Poland has to do their best to think of qualifying from the group.

If Greece could win Euro 2004, Poland can at least win a point against Germany.

10. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Come on. Ok, Germany is probably weaker than France, Italy and Spain if you compare each position. But Italy and even France don't rely too much on the individual talent!

But Portugal? I give you Ronaldo but the others? Almeida stronger than Klose or Gomez? Carvalho or Pepe stronger than Lahm or Mertesacker? Deco or Quaresma stronger than Frings or Ballack? It's pretty even, but Germany has more and better strikers at the moment and doesn't rely on one single player.

[snip]

11. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

You should not use a club's achievements to value a player. A big club is made of 26 squad players and Dinamo Zagreb could have players better than most of the 26 (or even most of the first XI) at the big club. Which is why you're underrating the German players and overrating everyone bar the Italians and the French. Especially the English and the Spanish.

Actually France and Germany are even now. Italy are still ahead IMO.

12. marcin79

marcin79 New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Warszawa, Poland

Ok, but still they have probably better individual players than Germany if you compare squads.

Well, except of striker position I think that they are pretty even or Portuguese are better. I think that Carvalho is more experienced player than Mertesacker or Metzelder. Portugal has more good wide players, not only Ronaldo but the likes of Quaresma, Simao or Nani - I don't see similar players in Germany.

[snip]

13. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC

Germany vs. Poland people. England NT is somewhere else.

14. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

ON TOPIC: I think Germany might win through a close game, maybe 2-1 win. I think it will be very important if Germany score first and win, because it can have a positive effect on them through the campaing (they could get hyped like 2006 all over again).

Klose better turn it up for this game though, I can definitely see him or Gomez being the reason Germany win. Poland is very tricky however, this is one of the strongest Euros I have seen! :eek: Every group has strong teams, it's insane!

{edit}

15. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar

Decisive German Victory. We're a tournament team, and it's time to win a major trophy. Time is passing quickly for the likes of Ballack, Frings, Lehmann, Neuville, and its time for them to have something to show after coming so close so many times. Löw understands the importance of the first match, and will tactically rip the poles apart. I think 2-0 is reasonable in terms of goals, but we will dominate the possession and pace of the match.

16. MicFW

MicFW Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Being asked which of Germany's opponents in group B might prove to be the strongest, Joachim Löw answered: Poland. I guess it's going to be a close match.

17. +Gooner+

+Gooner+ Member

Dec 20, 2006
    In the Pampas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

On Topic: I think Germany will win but it will be a tough and close match.

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Germany should win, and convincingly, but stranger things have happened! ;)

19. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    There are no easy wins at Euros these days.
    Anything can happen but I hope for a 3:1 win.

20. marcin79

marcin79 New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Warszawa, Poland
    Any new ideas after today squads announcements? I think that Loew's decisions are not surprising, excluding 2 young 2. Bundesliga players and Jermaine Jones, as Matusiak's and Majewski's omission by Don Leo could also be expected.

But our left back Grzegorz Bronowicki out of squad (he was back from injury and coach decided he wouldn't risk taking player who is not fully fit) can complicate things. Bronowicki was main candidate for starting position at left back and now we have probably four options:

1. Michal Zewlakow on left back. He used to play there for Poland, but placing him there would weaken pair of center backs he actually makes with Jacek Bak (another central defender - Jop or Kokoszka - would be in starting 11)
    2. Dariusz Dudka on left back. But similar problem appears: Dudka is our main defensive midfielder, so placing him on the left back dismounts midfield screen.
    3. Jakub Wawrzyniak on left back. He is nominal left back and not in the first squad at this moment so it doesn't complicate situation in other sections. But Wawrzyniak is not experienced and I am afraid not sufficent quality for starting eleven.
    4. Pawel Golanski on left back. He usually plays on right back where Marcin Wasilewski seems to be a starter. It could be best sollution however I haven't seen Golanski on left back for ages.

Any ideas?

21. episkeptis

episkeptis New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Manchester
    Don't know the other 3, but if you mean olympiakos' player Zewlakow, this year he played ok as a center back, but really really bad as a left back and I don't think he should be used there.

22. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

... with Oliver Neuville scoring the last-minute winner after a crossball from Odonkor! :D

All jokes aside: This won't be an easy game for Germany ... especially with the diverse problems we're facing lately (injuries, many players out of form or without match practise, bad defending etc.) and due to the fact that Poland improved a lot under Beenhakker!

I wouldn't be surprised to see a draw as the outcome of this game.

Then you have no clue about the tactical competence of Mr. Beenhakker...

Then he has no clue about the strength of the Croatians...:rolleyes:

If we don't beat Poland, I doubt we'll manage to get a win over Croatia.

23. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

you're so pessimisstic borussia

24. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England

I'm more worried about Poland than about Croatia actually. Missing Eduardo will be a massive blow to Croatia. Also, it's the first game which is always tricky.

25. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

na I am more worried about croatia. Poland have never beaten east or west germany (not sure if that includes friendlies but I think it does). Croatia can cover for eduardo pretty well.

But with reference to borussia's comment, I think that he is ignoring the probabilities which is why I said he's being pessimistic.