Germany-2017 Confederations Cup

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, May 6, 2017.

1. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Member

May 21, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
  2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Rudiger got called up, than got injured and Tah took his place. On the other hand Brandt was cut from the preliminary squad.

3. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Member

May 21, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
  4. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Member

May 21, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
  5. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Member

May 21, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Draxler as AMF is useless, we must play with 3. pure midfielde Demme, Rudy,Kimmich,Goretzka , Can, Demirbay etc

Ger90 repped this.
  6. marcellsas

marcellsas Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Plattenhardt better than Schmelzer and Oczipka?
    2015 coaches chose Nico Schulz than Plattenhardt

Why does Loew choose Ginter instead of try Willy Orban?, because of experience and versatility?

7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This team only has 2 strikers, in Werner and Wagner.
    I don't think Wagner should start any game. This tournament is about the youth and the future as such, it should be Werner. Wagner can be a sub.

Wagner will be 30 at the WC18 but the thing to remember is that this team most likely only has places for 2 strikers. And unless injured, Gomez has most likely one spot. I see Wagner or Kruse as more backups, get some International experience and if one of the other players is injured, take their place.

as for team Captain, the way Low talks about Draxler and Mustafi it sounds possible it could be one of those 2. Meh Mustafi has never really impressed and Draxler has mostly underwhelmed in the NT. Although Draxler did captain Germany back in that friendly vs Poland just before WC14 and Low has talked about wanting him to take on a bigger role. If it was up to me I would go with either the senior defense in Hector or newbie Stindl.

8. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #58 Rosebud, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Not very happy with this squad. Feels like the best we could do would be:

Draxler - Werner - Stindl
    Brandt - Henrichs - LeGo/Kimmich - Sane
    Kimmich* - Sule - Rudiger*
    MAtS

*Ginter/Mustafi/Can/Rudy/Hector

Hoping for something more like:

Werner/Stindl
    Brandt/Draxler - Draxler/Stindl - Sane
    Kimmich* - Goretzka
    Hector - Mustafi - Sule - Henrichs*
    MAtS​

9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kimmich is not playing in midfield. Low has already said they have 2 right backs in the squad in Henrichs and Kimmich.

10. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    *sigh* Of course he won't use the two best midfielders in the squad in the midfield...can't Jogi just quit and leave the job to Tuchel already?

11. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What changes would you make to the squad.

12. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I understand why Löw would use Kimmich at RB, but I agree that it's frustrating to see him played out of position like this.

13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    why is it surprising that Kimmich is in RB?
    he played EC16 and the WC18 qualifiers all in that position.

and Henrichs usually plays in the full back position, he's not a midfielder. He gets praised for his play and attracting interest all over Europe.

14. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Considering the dumpster fire that is Tuchel's team selections and lockeroom in Dortmund, I want him nowhere near the NT.

dips82 repped this.
  15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    could be completely off but I always felt that Rosebud is very high on Dahoud.

It's why Henrichs is important as he's an actual RB. The more he plays/develops the less likely there will be a need for Kimmich in that position. Although I think Henrichs taking that position is more likely post WC18.

16. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'd have taken both Sule & Tah and let them start together. They are the future of our defense after Boa & Mats; and Ginter / Rudiger / Mustafi are now & will remain merely depth options for us. I understand using this tournament to reward depth guys who are good sports about their role; but this was a great chance to give our future starting CB partnership a run out for the NT in a no-pressure environment.

Also think Gnabry would benefit more from playing with this team than continuing to tear up players he's just faster/stronger/more-skilled than at youth levels. Especially with him moving to Hoffenheim and having to face CL opposition for the first time in his career.

...then there's the midfield selection *sigh* Dahoud would easily step in as the best midfielder in this squad...and frankly should already be a regular starter for the senior A-team, so should definitely have been given this tourney as an opportunity to belated be integrated into the senior squad set up.

And if you're not going to bring along the best young midfielders, you might as well bring a FB or two so that you can use the best young midfielders you do bring along in the midfield; because the only times that Kimmich shouldn't be our starting 6 are when Weigl's fit or you're using double 8s ahead of a back 3 with Kimmich playing on the RCB.

Turn this squad into

Draxler** - Werner** - Stindl**
    Gnabry - Dahoud - Henrichs* - Sane
    Tah - Sule - Kimmich*
    MAtS

*Mustafi/Rudiger/Ginter/LeGo/Rudy/etc.
    **Brandt/Volland/Philipp​

And then this tourney at least gives us an exciting look at the future of german football while easing them into supplementing the

Because both are better & more impactful in the midfield; and with the weak selection of midfielders would help the team a lot more there.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    this is why Gnabry is not on the squad.
    Serge Gnabry: He can pull the others along. I told him that the guys need him at the U21. We would have liked to have him with us. But then it would have been to get as many minutes as possible. At the U21 he is a leading player.

there are so little spots and Low is essentially saying that he might not have played a lot at the CC.

plenty of indication from the DFB that to them the U21 is more important and they've said before that going to the U21 will not mean a player can't come to the WC. In fact plenty of players from the Olympics got picked and got chances after Germany reached the final even though they failed to make the EC16 squad. So Dahoud, Gnabry and Tah just need to play well there. I'm sure Low is high on Tah and Gnabry but they felt those players were needed in order to help win the U21.

to me Dahoud was never going to make the CC squad, outside of that 1 mention back in July 2016. There has never been any indication that they wanted him and he's always been an integral part of the U21. I don't think Low could have taken both Dahoud and Goretzka, so he took one where he has plans for. He even said that Goretzka could play an important role next season. Being impressed with him vs Italy etc.

18. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No one mentioned CAN, I recon he will get some game time... If you look at international and really inform experience I would line up as follows:
    Ter Stegen
    Kimmich--- Rudiger---Mustafi--Hector
    --------CAN-----Weigl(if not injured) Goretza
    Brandt-----Draxler-----Sane
    -------------Werner

Ger90 repped this.
  19. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tah has been called up for the CC after an injury to Rudiger.

20. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ohhhhh
    then I guess its
    Ter Stegen
    Kimmich--- ????---Mustafi--Hector
    --------CAN-----Weigl(if not injured) Goretza
    Brandt-----Draxler-----Sane
    -------------Werner

???Ginter, THA,Suhle

Ger90 repped this.
  21. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    DUDE this is from 2016..... Rudiger is not injured !!!!!

Ger90 repped this.
  22. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why is Goretzka used as a DM/ZM ?

He can't play defence n is used primarily at the AM position

23. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Guess I must have miss-read the post.

BorisG repped this.
  24. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No idea , I actually don't know the others all that well.
    ------------------Ter Stegen--------------------
    Kimmich--- Rudiger ---Mustafi--Hector
    ---------------------CAN-------------------------
    Brandt-----Draxler-Goretzka----Sane
    -------------------Werner-----------------------

25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    he isn't used primarily as an AM.
    his main position is Central Midfield. This season he's played both AM and CM.

putting him in the middle doesn't mean he would be a DM, he would be a CM. If you put Goretzka in CM, then his midfield partner should be more DM. That role can be played by Can, Demme, or Rudy.

BorisG repped this.