Review: German National Team News & Discussion Thread - WC 2014 & Beyond

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Oddo26

Oddo26 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    While Podolski doesn't fit in with Lows system they'll always be use for him as a sub as he's the perfect guy to come off the bench when Germany needs to push for the equalizer. True I don't expect Germany to be trailing that much but he still has a purpose albeit limited. At 29 he still has one good cycle left in him.

2. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Has Klose officially retired from international football yet? Or will he continue?

I think our "veterans" Schweini, Mertesacker, Podolski and Klose are not "necessities", especially after 4 years. Lahm is an exception but i do think we have enough cover for those positions

Schweini - Guendogan, Kroos, Khedira, Bender bros, Kramer ---> Goretzka, Emre Can, Oeztunali, Geis

Mertesacker - Hummels, Boateng, Hoewdes, Ginter, Badstuber ----> Mustafi, Knoche, Suele, Ruediger, Tah

Podolski - Reus, Draxler, Schuerrle, Oezil ----> Brandt, Max Meyer

Klose - Mario Gomez, Lasogga, Volland, Max Kruse -----> Timo Werner, Ducksch, Ginczek

Only Lahm is the concern. We may still need him in 2018

Minttunator repped this.
  3. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My Euro 2016 team
    Nuer
    Lahm boetang Hummels durm
    Gundogan Khedira
    Muller Ozil Rues
    Gomez/ lassoga
    Given that were a possession driven team v need solid protection for our high backline and gundogan and khideira r a must, and at left back v need a proper full back and durm fits the bill

Minttunator repped this.
  4. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    NEW FIFA Rankings calculated that should be at the end of July
    1. Germany 1761
    2. Argentina 1689
    3. Holland 1525
    4.Columbia 1492
    5. Belgium 1401
    6. Uruguay 1330
    7. Spain 1229
    8. Brasil 1220
    9. Switzerland 1216
    10. France 1202

Epitome990 and Minttunator repped this.
  5. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think what made the difference is that they played as a team, it was always some else who was playing supe that day
    Hummels and Neuer in the one game, then again Muller and Kroos, or Lahm and Schurrle, or yesterday it was Lahm, Boa and Schweinie... Thats what it takes to win a cup hope they can repeat it in 2016.

Vlad S., Crisstti, Epitome990 and 4 others repped this.
  6. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    where is klose ? :(

7. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nobody thought he'd do World Cup 2014, this dude will probably still be around in World Cup 2018

goindownsouth and Lahmfan repped this.
  8. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Völler's Mustache

Aug 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hopefully fishing and relaxing with his family. Yesterday was the perfect send off. Let's not make the same mistake as Spain and continue to play our Golden Generation past their prime when there are young options in the waiting. Merte, Poldi, and Klose should be done. I think Lahm can last a while because he doesn't rely on athleticism, but Schweini is a question mark. If he's healthy in 2016, he should start. 2018 is certainly up in the air. Hopefully Gundogan gets healthy and regains his previous form.

chewz, Vlad S., Liquid1010 and 5 others repped this.
  10. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But Poldi doesn't play, but a huge help for team chemistry. I still think we need a couple of those guys in the squad before giving the next generation full control of the team.

11. Der Müllerschaft

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Well said.

goindownsouth repped this.
  12. Der Müllerschaft

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yes.
    After all, with Mueller knocking on the door, he's gonna need to stick around another 4 years to stretch out his lead.

13. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ozil, Khedira, Muller, Kroos, Boateng, Neuer and likely Lahm (and maybe Schweini in 2016) can provide a strong enough experienced foundation to the team. If Ozil, Khedira, Muller, Kroos, Boateng and Neuer are all fit enough to play in 2018, that's six potential starters who will be in their third World Cup. I think that's enough to balance out a team that'll likely include World Champions like Schurrle, Hummels and Gotze, who will all be in their second championships. I know that Poldi adds a real sense of camaraderie in the team, but if the other guys can't maintain that team spirit that was a real factor in bringing them this title then they need to sort themselves out.

I'm ready to say goodbye to Poldi and Merte only because the rest of the team has eclipsed them. I'm glad they get to be World Champions for four years, and they've contributed greatly to the team, but the time for the next generation of champions is now. If Klose were able to keep himself fit for the rest of time, I'd let him keep on. But that's obviously not possible. I'm really thrilled that he not only has his World Cup medal but also the goal-scoring record. He's a true legend.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  14. Der Müllerschaft

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Y'know. I'd have to agree with you here. Seemed to get more confident each game. I can picture him tracking right along with Messi last night as he cut across the center and shot just wide. A little less pressure and that was likely a goal.

I also remember having reservations about Boateng and Hummels in the past. And now they are fixtures. The one major problem with Hoewedes is that I don't seem him on the wings as any kind of offensive threat; I thought his service into the middle and interaction in the final third was poor. Maybe keep him as a backup CB.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  15. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It is a really long time before we have to worry about qualification for WM 2018. In that time, it is about EM 2016 - it is during that time and the interspersed friendlies that we will slowly see the next wave of players come through. It happens every time.

Lahmfan repped this.
  16. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i know ... i am just sad that he wont play for us anymore .. :(

i am just happy that he ended up his career with such an amazing accomplishment

anyhow, carry on..

Boandlkramer and Crisstti repped this.
  17. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Flick gets the job of Bierhoff. Tuchel to take over co?

Bild has Löw staying and Klose retiring.

18. chizzuk

chizzuk Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lahm just signed a contract extension through 2018 with Bayern and said "It is definitely my last contract and I will see out my career with FC Bayern." (http://www.fcbayern.de/en/news/news/2014/press-release-110614-lahm-mueller.php) Of course, anything can happen in 4 years but he sure sounds like he's going to retire.

Vlad S., Minttunator and MatthausSammer repped this.
  19. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Jogi will keep on going

[​IMG]

20. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Unsurprising. What I'm interested in is whether the Tuchel rumors have any merit.

21. Junster

Junster Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Florida
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Any thoughts on whether we should stick with the good old 4-2-3-1, or try the 4-3-3 again?

If I'm not wrong, that 4-3-3 worked only against Portugal, but we struggled against Ghana and USA until Klose came in on both occasions, and then that same formation wasn't too effective against Algeria.

I personally felt more safe with 4-2-3-1. If it's 4-2-3-1 then who should be Klose's replacement? Volland?

22. Völler's Mustache

Aug 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is the essence of the rumors essentially that Tuchel will replace Flick, Jogi will mentor and prepare Tuchel for his eventual overtaking after Euro 16?

23. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep.
    I like the 4-3-3. It needed more time than it was given. Also, the 4-2-3-1, it could be argued, particularly against Brazil, looked like more of a 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3 when Kroos dropped deep.

24. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I guess we'll find out soon enough as whoever takes that position needs to be integrated as soon as possible, likely the Euro qualifying games at the end of the year. If we stick with the 4-2-3-1 then I imagine both Volland and Lasogga are first picks to take over that main striker spot. I know Werner's name has been tossed around as a possible long-term option up front, but he's like 5 years old. I only saw him a handful of times in the Bundesliga this season, and he has promising link-up play, which I know is one of the things most of us appreciate about Klose.

25. Junster

Junster Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Florida
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sounds fair enough.

If the 4-3-3 looks like the following, I would be happy:

Neuer​

Lahm Boateng Hummels Durm (KG/Howedes)​