George Washington Soccer GW

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by hilltopsoccer, Apr 13, 2011.

1. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoccerTrustee, I wasn't really looking for comebacks as I didn't think you even could dig yourself any deeper. Let me just say that I always thought your "awful hire and it shows" comment was a bit premature even back when you said it, and I'm wishing you'd fully abandon it. Your own sexual bias is now becoming clear. I never really look at a coach's record in the first two seasons as holding that much water, since some basic elements of good coaching are the ability to hit the recruiting trail and also to be fully funded. In lieu of those elements, I just look at competitiveness and defense, two elements that improved right out of the gate when she took that position. None of the winning elements was already in place in 2011 when she took the job. You didn't give her any benefit of the doubt then, so let's give her some now... these elements should not be considered the only reasons she's winning, as much as they are consequences of her improving that program from bottom feeder to title contender in merely four seasons.

GW's pending undefeated 2015 finish atop the A10 conference was anticipated by no polls. With mounting success over the past three seasons, Barnes could have already been a "coach of the year" candidate in the A10 in each of the past two years had it not been given by default to the conference title winner, a tradition that should continue next week when she finally gets hers! These circumstances are not just an accidental consequence of a weakened conference. GW has already demonstrated a decent record over the past three seasons, not just year, including 12-6 last year (with two of those losses coming to A10 favorite La Salle). To finish 10-0-0 in the A10, despite any apparent weaknesses in the conference, should put the 2015 Colonials in rare company.

2. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hykos did you read what I wrote in the previous post? It was stated clearly: "Barnes was a very,very good hire for GW and it shows." She has proven herself and I have eaten my words.

But you do have to give credit to GW being fully funded and having a renovated facility in ADDITION to Barnes' coaching acumen. All I said.

I think Barnes will be mentioned as a potential hire for some of the bigger jobs out there. If programs like Louisville, Villanova, etc. (total speculation, I know) are looking after this season they would be wise to give her a look based on the success she is having.

3. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read every post. If only that were all you said. You also hinted GW was lucky to have gotten to this position because of a bend over backwards administration that has given her all the tools. Oh and by the way if it weren't for their affirmative action, you think Barnes might not have even gotten an interview. And you threw in a rub about most every other A10 team regressing while GW is about to go 10-0-0, an impressive feat regardless of schedule strength.

Three years ago or more, many of us used to talk about GW as a program that was handicapped by a do nothing administration. Most felt that it would never change at all, regardless of hire, until the administration made effective and sweeping changes. In Barnes' early going, the critics who were picked apart her first season's W/L records didn't look at quality of incoming recruits, or increasing competitiveness in those games, or in game adjustments. From her first season, I've been impressed with Barnes' eer improving game preparation. She's turned this ship around with the aid of a more supportive administration, for sure!

4. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As expected, GW's Sarah Barnes is named A10 coach of the year tonight and puts the nation's longest winning streak (13) on the line tomorrow. Great hire and it shows.

Despite seeding, I expect GW may be a slight underdog on Sunday assuming a GW-Dayton final. #2 Dayton is a superior side, offensively, and is capable of putting a game out of reach with strings of goals. While GW does boast the conference's best defense including GK of the year and defensive player of the year, Dayton's limited defense should be just enough to neutralize GW's offense. These sides haven't met yet in 2015, so it would be an interesting final. Prediction: Dayton 2, GW 0.

5. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GW's season, along with the nation's longest active winning streak, have just come to a close. Props to Sarah Barnes for the great improvement. I know they have their lead scorer coming back for one more season so hopefully they have another shot at a postseason.

6. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    You don't think the RPI will get them in???

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just finished looking at this and I don't think it will. I could be wrong, but if I'm right, too bad for them. It sounds like they had a blast of a season.

8. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes, tremendous season. Great job by Sarah Barnes and I have eaten my words about her.

As for an at large bid looks unlikely. 52 RPI gets them in the discussion. However no wins or ties against top 50 competition. That's usually the kiss of death from the Selection Committee. Recent history has shown they will take like a 56 RPI team that has top 50 results (San Diego and Arkansas in recent memory) vs a team with an RPI in the high 30s-mid 40s that has no top 50 RPI results (Dartmouth and Colgate in recent memory).

Congrats to Brooke Stoller for winning A10 Defensive Player of the Year. Great family very involved in the soccer scene in New England.

Anyone know Sarah's contract situation? If this was her last year she should get a nice extension and $ boost from her administration. Or could go the other way as I think she will get some hard looks and significant interest if a bigger job opens up in which case would be interesting to see if GW then steps up to do their best to keep her. If she still has a year or two left on her contract then of course no need to discuss any of this at this time.

9. WaMu

WaMu New Member

Nov 17, 2006
    FWIW, the assistant under the previous head coach was the one that actually recruited and committed Stoller, Brown, and Abbate (including Brothers who made 2014 all con). He is now at SJU who finished 3rd with two all rookie for A10.
    Barnes deserves COY for perfect record but maybe the ship was turned around and pointed in a good direction little earlier than being pointed out.

10. pwrcln

pwrcln New Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Congrats he did his job to recruit, he didn't do his job to coach the kids that were there and since had to find new enployment. She's developed them.

11. WaMu

WaMu New Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Not sure how an assistant can develop talent when they aren't around to continue the work.
    The statement was that he had brought in some good players which is just a statement of fact.
    The program has continued to bring in good players but she didn't start from scratch as some in here are trying to make the case.

Also, previous coach took a job in administration and wasn't asked to leave. The assistant was not offered a chance to interview which is explained in other threads. Yes, she has done a good job with the program and the comments were not meant to take away from that. They should continue to be successful.

Btw, he went onto UMBC who made the NCAA tournament quickly after and now SJU.

12. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States