George Washington Soccer GW

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by hilltopsoccer, Apr 13, 2011.

1. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GW is looking to end a 7 game losing streak (a lot of them were 1-0 or 2-1)... but no one's on the hot seat yet...

2. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Saw GW beat Robert Morris 5-1 to win the battle of the Colonials. Also, the first GW win at its refurbished home pitch, and the first win over Robert Morris in three ties. It was a hot day at Mount Vernon Field and there was a distinct scent of warm new synthetic turf.... The GW strike force could do no wrong, and keeper Lindsey Rowe (a smaller Hope Solo) saved a PK and came close to saving another. Senior Sierra Smidinger had two goals and an assist and I thought that frosh Alex Brothers looked strong on D.

3. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Really? Is that your daughter? I bet that would embarrass her quite a bit...

At least you got a Dub to talk about on the forum.

4. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    That seat don't heat . . . :D

5. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Colonials are currently 4-7-1, 1-0-1 Atlantic-10 (second place in the conference).

Senior Goalkeeper Lindsey Rowe was named A-10 Women's Soccer Player of the Week. Fourteen saves in two overtime matches - a double-overtime scoreless draw against St. Bonaventure and an overtime 1-0 win against Duquesne.

6. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Where were you after home losses to Davidson, Bryant, and Liberty?
    Folks on this forum have played nice. I wouldn't be boasting GW's accomplishments this season just yet...

Home loss to Bryant...really? Aren't they only 2 years in DI or something?

7. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002

I've been following Georgetown and ND so haven't been keeping up on the day-to-day GWU progress - missed the comeback 2-1 win over Gardner-Webb on the road, for example. They rolled the sidewalks up early in Boiling Springs that night. When the weather clears I'll try to get to more matches.

A note on the Davidson and Bryant upsets - they were supposed to be held at Navy but the weather/field in Annapolis was so bad that the Navy Invitational was moved to GW's new turf field at the Mount Vernon campus.

1-0-1 in the A-10 is encouraging for GW after two road games. Go Colonials!

hykos1045 repped this.
  8. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Heading into the last weekend of conference play, GW is at 2-3-2 in the A-10 after a tough 0-1 loss to Richmond. GK Rowe had 10 saves in that one but the Spiders scored off a corner kick in the second half. UMass and Rhode Island visit on Friday and Sunday.

9. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason the soccerinfo.com has reported that GW defeated Massachusetts 3-0. This was hardly believable, and I wish I could correct it but I don't have admin priviledges, nor am I an SID. But in real life, the minutewomen won 2-0 with two second half goals.

Go back on the hotseat, GW.

10. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Far out, and ouch! GW ends its season losing 3 in a row, to Richmond, UMass, and Rhode Island, for an overall record of 5-12-2 and 2-5-2 in the Atlantic 10. The RI Rams match was Senior Day for L. Rowe, S. Smidinger, and T. Dietrich. In 2011, the Colonial roster also included 10 freshmen, 6 sophomores, and 5 juniors, so will look for improvement in the next few years as those classes mature.

hykos1045 repped this.
  11. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    2-5-1 in the month of October scoring only 2 goals losing last 4 of 5 at home...

Is this progress?

12. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    The program at Foggy Bottom is a model of consistency . . .

2011: Overall: 5-12-2 Conf: 2-5-2
    2010: Overall: 9-9-0 Conf: 3-6-0
    2009: Overall: 7-8-4 Conf: 4-5-2
    2008: Overall: 8-11 Conf: 4-7
    2007: Overall: 8-9-1 Conf: 3-7-1
    2006: Overall: 9-10-0 Conf: 2-7-0

13. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is progress from last season in which GW lost 6 straight after a decent start. 5-18-2 in their last 25 contests.

14. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    So what's the deal at GW -
    They seemed to play nice by giving her an admin job.
    Any assistant's have an inside track?
    or would the put enough on the table for an experienced DI coach?

15. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Guess the Advert answers the question:
    "-3-5 years of women’s soccer coaching experience at the Division 1 level"

I guess if you want 25 applicants instead of 100, this is how you do it. You're also going to have to pay probably 80K plus in D.C. for even an experienced asst coach to take this program.
    interesting tactics but there are always candidates for these jobs...

16. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Uhh . . . obviously they've already sorted out this position. If they need to do a real search, you'll see a new ad. I'm sure they've got someone lined up. Kind of depressing, really.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I don't know, that add is for salary at a public school. My experience is that isn't all the compensation available. It exactly matches, for instance, the compensation advertised for Oregon State's salary when the job was open and Linus Rhode won that position.

Club opportunities, camps, and other sources of income can bring that up quite a bit. In fact, the OSU adv. gave an outline of total compensation.

18. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    GW is private, even though it was "created by an act of congress." And that ad is all about reducing paperwork for a search that has already basically concluded.

19. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GW has gone with Sarah Barnes from Univ Texas @Austin:
    http://www.atlantic10.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/121511aaa.html

As a player and an assistant, Barnes has been involved in 17 of the last 18 NCAA tourneys.

20. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bump... eat crow, ST! Your analysis could not have been more off. Barnes has turned GW program around and the potential was never really doubtful at any time. Even when she had losing records of 1-8 and 3-6 in the early going, the team had shown signs of competitiveness especially on defense. Now, they have raised their personnel level and are advancing further each of the past three seasons in the A10 standings. Please don't even attempt any comebacks.

21. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wow, from 3 years ago. OK it's a good thing to bring comments from the past up and see if they had validity.
    First of all - CONGRATS to Barnes. It has been a very good hire. 6-0-0 in the A10. With Dayton and La Salle no longer the top tier in the conference GW has taken the front seat. Credit to Barnes and her coaching and recruiting. I hope AD's see that it does take 4 years to turn around a program.

I do have to state however, there were other good candidates for this position. The only ones that got interviews were Barnes, the Georgetown assistant at the time (who is now the Loyola head coach), and the Boston U. assistant at the time. The Georgetown and BU assistants had better resumes and recent success in 2011. I also have to state that all three candidates had one thing in common - they each had a vagina. Meaning good male candidates didn't even get a look. At the end of the day GW made a good hire but in December 2011 Barnes didn't stand out as a favorite.

The other thing to keep in mind is that I have heard many of the Olympic sports at GW are now fully funded, including women's soccer. I also hope AD's see that $ makes a big impact. Not being fully funded to then having all 14 scholarships is a massive boost to any program. Big credit to Barnes in this case, but have to give big credit to the GW administration for making success possible for whomever they hired with the resources now available.

But Hyksos let me end by giving what you're looking for: Barnes was a very,very good hire for GW and it shows.

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lest you forget, in 2004 there were 201 male head coaches in DI women's soccer and 99 female head coaches. In 2009, there were 221 males and 99 females. In 2014, there were 244 males and 88 females. Want to guess how many female head coaches there were in 2014 in DI men's soccer? Easy guess, you're right, none.

23. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I see your point cpthomas. Let's ask this: How many qualified females are interested for men's soccer positions? And how many of those females then actually apply?

My point (in December of 2011) was hire the best option. Regardless of if it's a men's or women's sport, and regardless of the gender of the applicant. GW made it clear which direction they were going in when they brought in 3 female candidates and 0 male applicants. And there were good male candidates that didn't get a sniff because GW sexually discriminated against qualified male applicants (no minority candidates either, but that's another topic).

In the end they made a very good hire as GW has a current 59 RPI and are undefeated in A10 play. The incoming athletic director at the time got them a new field and also 14 full scholarships. Decent chance of success, especially when competing against A10 programs that perhaps don't have the best of facilities or the advantage of being fully funded. But give credit to Barnes as she has given the program direction and life.

24. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    She's done just well enough to get her next job!
    Good to see GW where they are so kudus to her. Outside of Georgetown the Balt/Wash area is loaded with average womens soccer teams.

25. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Nah, like Lake Wobegone, all the teams are above average (kidding). Maryland is having its troubles in the Big 10, for sure ... Loyola Maryland - winning record in the Patriots (so far).

hykos1045 repped this.