Geoff Cameron at Queens Park Rangers

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 9, 2012.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  2. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  3. UncagedGorilla

Barcelona
    Sep 22, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I watched this one. Really good game by Geoff. Heavily involved in the build up to both goals and a defensive force. Definitely played like a man with something to prove today.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He got an assist on the second goal.

5. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love seeing this play from Geoff. He’s been written off a few times now by fans, USSF, and Stoke, but on his day he’s a complete force. I’ll be watching closely this season for sure.

6. UncagedGorilla

Barcelona
    Sep 22, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    He's really good and even at 34, is still killing it for a good championship squad.

He was a top 5 player in our pool for at least five years. I'm not sure there's a player since I've been watching (mid-90's) that's been treated worse by the USMNT than Geoff.

russ, zlatan_but_a_car, nbarbour and 6 others repped this.
  7. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Clearly better than MB is a curse for USMNT players, they have to find an off field reason "politics" to ostracize and demonize you.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I think his club versatility hurt him. USMNT coaches could never be sure of his form in a given role.
    2. He had an awful game at precisely the wrong time in 2017.

Or, we can go with the conspiracy theory.

Grumpy in LA, gogorath, jnielsen and 4 others repped this.
  9. UncagedGorilla

Barcelona
    Sep 22, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I mean, it can be both.

To point one, he did play three different positions for Stoke. But if you look at his career, he came there as a CB, trained him up as a RB first, then he became primarily a 6 for them when his passing improved. He still played some defense when needed but he was primarily a 6 his last three years at 6, listed on their website and played more games as such. Basically, his game developed and he became a much better player due to continuing to push himself at a high level. Maybe certain other players who were stalwarts of the USMNT should have tried that...

To point two, that's honestly an absurd argument. Players who Arena liked were given chance after chance despite repeated poor performances. Cameron was and is better than all of those players so one poor performance is no excuse. And I don't think it was a good performance but I remember watching that game thinking wtf is Bradley doing so Cameron started stepping up to dictate play rather than pass backwards, you know, like a 6 should, and he was burned for it. Dumb decision but caused by poor coaching/play from elsewhere and only he was punished.

The two greatest travesties of the USMNT over the past decade are Donovan missing the 2014 WC and Cameron never playing a single minute at the 6. While Cameron was playing well for a mid-table EPL club, we were repeatedly told there is no one else that can play the 6. It was BS then, it's BS now.

Cameron is what a USMNT player's career trajectory should look like.

10. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlights from yesterday. At 0:06 he holds off a challenge and then plays a big cross field switch which would earn him a second assist on the first QPR goal if the English tracked such things. His actual assist is at 0:48. It is a square ball that Eberechi Eze then does most of the work for QPR's second. Cameron is beaten to a cross in the box at 1:02, the result of which is back heel the dribbles wide. On the Stoke City goal at 1:06, Cameron is second to a cross in the box (that the center backs don't react to either) which is back heeled on leading to said goal. At 1:15 the keeper comes out and flaps at a free kick, resulting in a header that Cameron's man puts wide of the open goal. Not in the highlights, but he was yellow carded in the 15th minute.

During the 2018/2019 season he played in 19 games in the Championship (17 starts). His stat line was 1 goal, 1 assist, and 2 yellow cards. Transfermarkt has him playing 15 of the 19 games in the midfield and 4 at center-back.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Could he receive a shock call-up next month?

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  12. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Doubt it. No reason to considering age, and previous issues.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. UncagedGorilla

Barcelona
    Sep 22, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I'd personally love it and think he would absolutely help but I don't see it happening. I think him firing back at Arena and USSF was probably his swan song and he knew it. It's not totally impossible we could see him if we do an all Euro November camp like we've done before but even then I'd guess it's about a 20% chance he'd get a call.

I got us a little off topic but I'm glad he's doing well and still pushing himself to play at a high level. He's somewhere he's wanted and performing very well for them.

wixson7 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    At 34, the window has closed on his Nat team career. I always thought he was a very good player. Just the fact that he got another contract is testimony to that estimation. So many younger guys play his position as well if not better, I doubt he will ever see the field for us again. When MB was still good, there were a few games where GCam was the 8. I thought that was really working. It was dumped for JJ and MB. That was a tenuous run of games.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And after two fixtures, Cameron is our top ranked Yank in the Ch'ship, #4 with 4pts. and 3/2/+1.

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And after today's games Geoff is no longer our highest-ranked Yank actually playing in the Ch'ship. That honor goes to Tim Ream and his #7 Fulham.

ChrisSSBB and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Lost 3-1 (and in a side note had not seen that Ghana's Jr. Agogo died at 40 the other day. Had a stroke ~ 2 years ago... sad news indeed.)

21. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Cameron is out today, his 3rd match in 7 days missed due to injury. QPR won without him last Saturday but were eliminated midweek in the EFL Cup.

I'm not exactly sure what the injury is, but it sounds like he'll be ready after the international break:

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/gaffer-we-know-what-we-have-to-do/

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They beat Millwall 1-2. The world rejoices, because we all hate Millwall. Geoff went 90 and got a yellow for his troubles.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Why do we all hate Milwall? Kasey Keller sure doesn't. They gave him his 1st break.

26. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #3825 Suyuntuy, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    It's the old Leeds chant: "We All Hate Millwall," my little tribute to the Loco Bielsa and his team that today were unlucky not to get all three.

Millwall fans would reply with "No one likes us, we don't care." Truth is no one liked either Leeds or Millwall, the two English clubs with the darkest history of Hooliganism.