Generic media/team DC United coverage thread (this stuff doesn't deserve it's own thread)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by fatbastard, Mar 4, 2016.

1. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    you got something about racoons? - guardians-rocket.jpg

dadman, song219, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  2. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've come to feel that, if United ever feels the need to give Talon an assistant mascot, Rocket Racoon would do admirably. Wish that our players had Rocket Racoon's fighting spirit.

dadman repped this.
  3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    There are many things at AF that could be improved and things were promised, completed roofing for example, that haven't been delivered. But, the stadium is not a "glorified NCAA Division II football stadium." Look on the web at actual D2 stadia. Most are "glorified" high school fields without covered stands, individual seats and usually have a running track between the stands and the playing field because the stadia are truly multipurpose. They are designed for much smaller crowds -- the highest average D2 attendance in 2017 was at Tuskegee at around 14K per game. Number 4 on the attendance list didn't break 4 figures in average attendance. AF is a mid table MLS stadium, sort of like DCU.

ImNumberTen, tallguy, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  4. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Washington Post article on the dynamic duo of Ovechkin & Backstrom mentions other great pairings in DC team sports history - and includes Etcheverry & Moreno.

Magikfute, dadman, Chesco United and 2 others repped this.
  5. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, college stadiums don't serve beer, margueritas or whiskey to thirsty supporters.

griffin1108 repped this.
  6. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Loads of colleges serve beer at games now and you can get mixed drinks in the premium seating areas. Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU and even Baylor (only in premium areas) offer booze at football games. I follow the Big 12, but I'm sure other colleges do it too.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Those aren't college stadiums. Those are professional clubs that don't have to pay their players.

sitruc, UnitedBorn, Cavan9 and 2 others repped this.
  8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When i saw the headline, I expected it to be about Namoff - it is not. The url makes that obvious :) (was Namoff's settled a while back and I've just forgotten?)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ian-espindola-by-charlie-horton-is-dismissed/

Winoman repped this.
  9. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I even remember that Namoff was never a goalkeeper. :D

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :) FIrst headline/click-line I saw just said Former United player's suit believed to have been settled :D

I may not remember who this guy was, but as many positions as Namoff played I can't ever recall him donning the gloves :)

Winoman repped this.
  11. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh, but still better to be a college football player at a big NCAA school than say a minor league baseball player.

12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Nope.

Although DC does have a few records for futility in the stat book.

Thx,

Jay! ACE80BD8-CA87-46E8-ABFD-5DBD8CD768EF.jpeg