Generic media/team DC United coverage thread (this stuff doesn't deserve it's own thread)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by fatbastard, Mar 4, 2016.

1. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dizi, GumbyG and sitruc repped this.
  3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Neither was Ray Charles.

Thx,

Jay!

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had seen a shorter video from this that just had the opening poetry on it, which was cool, but finally got around to watching the longer version.

Excellent history in this to go with the poetry.

sitruc, Q*bert Jones III and Winoman repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That was on the frontpage of MLS Soccer last week. I meant to post that video.:x3:

Winoman repped this.
  6. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article in today's Washington Post about Hamid not being one of the five GKs selected for camp in Annapolis. The article infers is that he can't play the ball with his feet out of the back as well as the others.

7. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Its true that playing the ball out with his feet is not the strongest part of Hamid's game. But stopping shots is. And he's def in the top 2 or 3 for that. Also, late last year he injured his knee in a collision and his clearances were kinda weak. If you look at those game tapes you might put him last in the contenders. But playing the ball out is the least part of that position.

I think its more symptomatic of who's choosing the squad than the abilities and talents of the individual players. You have to realize that Beerholder is making the decision. And he's quite the homer for his own players and the style of play he liked with the players he had at Columbus.

8. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article is correct about that. Whether it's as important as Berhalter seems to think it is... that's clearly a hotly debated subject.
    It is pretty crazy that Berhalter thinks he's *that* deficient that he doesn't put Hamid in the top 5.

Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  9. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While he's clearly a homer for his players. What coach isn't...? Steffen is objectively better than Hamid if you're a team that wants to play out of the back. But Hamid should still be in the top 5 for a training camp.
    Why Trapp gets so much playing time and why Canouse doesn't even get called up is homerism if you ask me. I'd like to see if Canouse could do what Trapp does for the national team, but I'm not sure he'll get that chance any time soon.

Winoman repped this.
  10. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I don't think Berhalter is being objective in how he values positional roles. The goalkeeper stops shots first, distributes second. He's chosen 4 guys who are deficient shot stoppers. I have no issue with Steffan as the #1, at least 3 of the 4 guys shouldn't be in this camp, if you value shot stopping first. IMO, its Steffan, Hamid, Frei, Horvath.

Same thing at DMid, Canouse is superior at destroying things in the midfield to Trapp. I wasn't overly impressed with Trapp last year and I sure wasn't impressed with him last month.

11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I was going to date Kate Upton but I heard she's not a good cook so I bailed.

song219, Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  12. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rate Tyler Adams 1st, Canouse 2nd, and Trapp 3rd.

Dizi and griffin1108 repped this.
  13. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Berhalter sees Tyler Adams (incorrectly IMO) as a full back. I think I made this point last week, that our best players need to be played in their best positions and surrounded by players who best fit the rest of the roles. Thats not happening. If this were Klinsmann, people would be rioting in the streets.

Winoman repped this.
  14. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Berhalter has earned the benefit of the doubt. Klinsmann was an obvious fraud from the start.

15. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm with Berhalter on this move. Hamid is a less than average distributor of the ball in MLS. Given the USAs reliance on counter attacking and Berhalter's desire to hold the ball, your GK needs to help you posess and play as a sweeper keeper. Hamid is simply not even average with the ball at his feet. He's also loathe to release the ball quickly when he has the ball in his hands unless it's for a long aimless punt down the field.

GumbyG repped this.
  16. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not going to get a "Tim Howard to Landon Donovan assist against Algeria" kind of thing from Bill... but I think it's crazy he's not even in the top 5.

Heist and Winoman repped this.
  17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You aren’t going to get that from a Beerholder team either.

18. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    First, that ball was thrown, not punted or kicked. Second, Lando was wide open, without a defender for 20 yards or more in any direction. Third, you don't see that in MLS because of how much teams press, even passively.

John L and sitruc repped this.
  19. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    #819 PSURoss, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    When does it expire? Just wondering? Is it over when Horvath plays another hospital ball up the middle that his team can't bail him out on? And what exactly has he earned? People love to ding Olsen, but they've got similar win % and Ben has 1 more trophy won in the coach's box?

Lets keep in mind, we're looking to copy the style of goal keeping play that really only a handful of big money teams are capable of playing and sustaining.

And I am not disputing that Bill isn't good with the ball at his feet, he's not. My contention all along is the goalkeeper should be picked, for his ability to stop shots and organize the defense.

Heist, shawn12011, griffin1108 and 2 others repped this.
  20. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Just to be clear, I'm with you 1000%. If I was the coach Hamid would be #1 and Steffen and Frei would be fighting for the backup spot. I honestly couldn't care one iota less than I currently do about Hamid's allegedly poor distribution. I like goalkeepers who keep out goals.

Messi isn't a very good defender. Who cares? His job is to score. Can you imagine a coach leaving him off a roster because he can't defend? I don't see a difference.

21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I know a coach around here who like "defensive" forwards.............

song219, Winoman and UnitedBorn repped this.
  22. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *shrug* Distribution is distribution.

Winoman and UnitedBorn repped this.
  23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Primary Job, Stopping Shots!!! Distribution secondary job.

Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Frankly while I feel for Hamid on a personal level, I'm glad that he will be playing less US games and more DCU games because a Berhalter's decision.

shawn12011 repped this.
  25. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not even what Berhalter is going for I don't think.
    It seems like he wants a keeper who is better with the ball at his feet.