General PDL

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by QuietType, May 11, 2012.

1. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

2. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    #677 FootySkeptic, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    They ought to, they may ask for another waiver, or fold all together. I haven't seen an official announcement regarding a move to L1O yet. Likely, all of that would occur in the off-season.

I'm not sure K-W United meets the youth academy requirements for L1O at present.

3. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't realize L1O had academy requirements. I do remember hearing Thunder Bay got a a waiver, since they're so far out there for everybody really

4. CenCalFooty

CenCalFooty Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Fresno
    Club:
    Fresno Fuego
    Fresno Fuego have won 7 in a row(should be 8, stupid forfeit) lead by topd PDL prospect Christian Chaney! Boys are on fire right now or should i say en fuego?

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    teamed repped this.
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    release from SF City FC from TODAY:

Regret to announce that today's rescheduled match vs. the Las Vegas Mobsters at Skyline College has been canceled. We apologize for the last minute notice and any inconvenience the cancellation may cause.

7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The North East & Mid Atlantic divisions now enter a cross over playoff to see who advances onto the Regional finals. As division champions the Phoenix take on the 2nd place team in the Mid Atlantic division, the Ocean City Nor'Easters, who themselves clinched a playoff berth yesterday with a win over Baltimore Boh's. Ocean City enter the match in fine form & have a squad boasting a number of high level players. Chevaughn Watson is the NorEasters leading goal scorer and also top's the standings across the entire league. Their captain is also a familiar face in Fraser Colmer, the Englishman was an integral part of the Phoenix 2015 league winning campaign & returns to Portland after a fine season in New Jersey.
    Everyone associated with GPS Maine values & appreciates your continued support throughout the season, so we hope to see everyone again tomorrow night at our NEW game venue to cheer on the boys in blue.

Venue
    - University of New England, Biddeford, ME
    Date - Tuesday 19th July
    Kick Off - 8pm
    $5 Entry or FREE for Phoenix Staff & Players

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, the Menace and the Bucks lead the Central... with two teams out of Ontario...

FootySkeptic repped this.
  10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to think that the PDL is going to miss those teams from Canada...they've always been competitive though I'm pretty certain that the teams based in the US won't miss those road trips.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  11. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    The Chill will remain in the PDL for the awhile longer, and they're is other Canadian PDL sides out west -albeit not as successful as the Ontario teams- that will stick around longer as well: the road trips will continue.

12. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #687 SJJ, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    The Ontario sides got beat solidly today. In the first match, Des Moines crushes K-W, scoring the first five goals (three in the first half) before K-W got one. In the second, it took a little longer for the Michigan Bucks to score (midway into the second half), but ends up winning 3-0.

aetraxx7 and FootySkeptic repped this.
  13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

USL PDL
    7 hrs · Fort Wayne, IN ·
    FINAL: FC Tucson 3, Burlingame Dragons FC 2.
    Tucson will play Calgary Foothills FC in the Western Conference Championship final on Saturday!

14. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Foothills is using all local lads. I don't know if they have a single NCAA player. Great organization giving young kids something to aspire to.

FootySkeptic and Blando13 repped this.
  15. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #690 SJJ, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Michigan Bucks [2-0] Des Moines Menace - both goals in the last 20 minutes on rebounds, the first from off the crossbar leading to a header, the second on a goal-mouth scramble. (Bucks are looking to host the final four; TBA.)

BTW, the conference tournament was billed as a "tournament of champions" (or "PDL champions league") since all four teams had won PDL championships in the past; claim is this is the first time this had happened. Also, the four teams had over 20 players on MLS / PDL watch lists.

16. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a Canadian team has no NCAA players? Shocking...

17. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Usually the Canadian teams have lots of NCAA players....especially the Ontario teams.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.uslpdl.com/news_article/show/673112

The PDL SF's have been split into two sites.

"The Ocean City Nor'easters will host Calgary Foothills FC at 5 p.m. ET from the Tennessee Avenue Soccer Complex, while the Michigan Bucks play Midland/Odessa Sockers FC at 7:30 p.m. ET from the Ultimate Soccer Arenas."

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so I'm guessing that the seeds are maybe
    Ocean City is #1, Calgary #4
    and Michigan #2 with Odessa/Midland #3.
    does anyone know for certain?

22. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked at their roster. According to their website, they have two NCAA D2 players. Most of the other players are playing in CIS, which is actually unusual for the PDL. I'm actually surprised there are so few CIS players on the other Canadian PDL rosters. (BTW, what are the eligibility rules for CIS? I recall there being a goalkeeper who was concurrently playing for UBC and Toronto FC.)

The roster is mostly, but not all local players. Two English players (one of whom is in NCAA D2), two players from Edmonton, and one each from Vancouver, Saskatoon, and Lethbridge.

23. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    #698 CANPRO, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    In CIS, athletes get 5 years of eligibility. I believe players forfeit one year of eligibility for every year they were a professional athlete, to a certain standard.

For instance at my old CIS school, we'd get lots of lower league British guys come over to play for a year or two, one guy played for the Portland Timbers when they were in the USL before MLS...etc.

Part of the push for League One Ontario is that the PDL doesn't do anything to develop local players.

Calgary should have a true professional team within a few years. There is lots of talent and ambition in that city, although the fall in oil prices has really hit that city hard the last 18 months.

The top CIS schools could compete with the top NCAA soccer programs, (University of British Columbia regularly beats top 10 NCAA programs in exhibition matches) but the drop off in quality after the top programs is quite large compared to the depth of NCAA.

The CIS soccer season only lasts from the beginning of September to the first week in November for those that make the national tournament. For most teams, their season is over by late October.

24. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I remembered reading a story at one point that mentioned UBC's goalkeeper and noticing that he was also on TFC's roster. May have been TFC's third keeper, which would explain why he was allowed to go play on a college team at the other end of the country.

25. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Foothills up 3-0 at Ocean City in the semi final 2nd half.

They went to Arizona and beat the top seed last weekend in the heat. Then they fly across the continent to O.C and beat the hosts there.

Pretty damn impressive.

Hope some NCAA scouts were attending these games.