News: General 2013-2014 Ligue 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'France' started by StarrMatthieu, May 24, 2013.

1. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    When I was talking about gloryhunters I wasn't referring to PSG fans. I was talking about my motivation for being a Lyon fan. Whether we are winning titles or not I will not waver in my support of the team.

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I became a Monaco fan because of the wonderful '03-04 team and after that the team got bad and declined and was almost in the 3rd division but I stuck with them and they got saved and now Im happy they are good again. Looking forward to watching them in the Champions League next year and hopefully they can give me great memories like they did in 03-04. Its not gonna be the same because they were the underdogs back then and now with the newwealth they will be favorites for most matches so it wont be the same but hopefully I can still enjoy it.

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i was an ASM fan before coming to lyon, and i can see how it could be a great club to support at a distance, but i doubt i could have stuck it out if i lived in that area: louis II is just too dismal.

4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Sorry Aulas there's no law that says a French team has to start a certain amount of French players. Arsenal started no English players a decade ago and signs mostly non English players. Ditto for Chelsea and Man City. Please stop whining and accept that football has change regardless if you dont like it. Its all abut the money and why need overrated French players when you can afford better ones. Get with it, man.

5. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    If only he could put in as much work into his club than he does into his complaining, he'd probably be contending for Ligue 1 again.

StarrMatthieu and SportBoy333 repped this.
  6. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Or he could have won the Champions League if he didnt vastly overpay for average Ligue 1 players.

7. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Well it's true what he says about FFP and UEFA needing to enforce the rules or lose credibility.

This "modern football" that you want him to adopt is a bunch of bullshit. But go ahead. Criticize those who have principles. Lady Gaga is supposedly modern too but that doesn't mean I need to listen to her crap.

guignol and StarrMatthieu repped this.
  8. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    lol, If you can't beat them join them. At some point he'll see this and do what all big clubs are doing.

There's a reason why the Milans of the world aren't doing that well. Need to spend big to win, ask Arsene Wenger.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  9. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Lyon have the 2nd best youth system in the world behind Barcelona. And despite all odds we are still going strong in the EL and other competitions. You can join the Dark Side if you want. I'll listen to Yoda.

10. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    hmmmmmm... Where is your Messi boy!!?? lol

11. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Who needs Messi when you have consistently good players year after year?

12. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Villas-Boas isnt going to Marseille hes going to Zenit St Peterburg. Why, because they have more money. Russia is one of the last places anyone would want to go to but they go because they have the cash.

13. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    but your captain whos a product of the 2nd best youth system wants to go to Napoli. Thats the difference. Those Barcelona youth players arent going anywhere while your youth players will get picked off by other clubs.

14. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    #414 lefutur, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    Good for AVB. He's had a stunning career so far.

15. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Loser mentality. You won more titles than Napoli has so why would your players want to leave to go there? They havent won anything since Maradona, your players shouldnt be chomping at the bit to go there.

16. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    And Rome wasn't built in a day. Comparing Lyon to Barcelona in terms of results is premature.

17. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Screw Gonalons. He has a bad attitude an I never liked him.

18. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    lol Barcelona have consistently good players year after year, but they also have something that backs-up their ranking as best cantera in the world aka Messi.

Xavi, Iniesta, Thiago Alcantara (Bayern), Pique, Puyol, Pedro, Fabregas, Busquets, Jordi Alba, Marc Bartra, Sergi Roberts, Tello, etc. etc.

19. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Your attempts at shaming my squad because we don't stack up against probably the best starting 11 in club football history isn't having the desired effect.

20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    lol but u have the 2nd best academy in the world. Sure don't look like it. Maybe back in the G. Welp, further time will tell I guess.

21. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Their academy is outstanding. Its blows Marseille's out of the water. The good thing is OL doesnt have to buy young players because they produce their own. Meanwhile Marseille has to buy Imbula, Thauvin, Lemina, Mendy, because their academy produces nothing.

22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yea but 2nd best in the world?

23. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    #424 NicolasN., Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    Having a taste for the truth doesn't make me defensive. Your argument is and will always be wrong since your numbers are inaccurate. It didn't take Lyon 5 years to have a higher budget than PSG since Canal + cut the expenses after Luis managerial mistakes and sold the club a few years later. And, Lyon did not have a budget only slighty superior to its opponents. Since you are solely focusing on PSG here are the numbers that I found :

- 2002/2003 : OL 101, PSG 78 (approximately 29.5% bigger than PSG)
    - 2003/2004 : OL 100, PSG 65 (approximately 53,8% bigger than PSG)
    - 2004/2005 : OL 98, PSG 70 (40% bigger than PSG)
    - 2005/2006 : OL 115, PSG 70 (approximately 64,3% bigger than PSG)
    - 2006/2007 : OL 110, PSG 70 (approximately 57,1% bigger than PSG)
    - 2007/2008 : OL 145, PSG 70 (approximately 107% bigger than PSG)
    - 2008/2009 : OL 178, PSG 90 (approximately 97,8% bigger than PSG)
    - 2009/2010 : OL 160, PSG 100 (60% bigger than PSG)
    - 2010/2011 : OL 150, PSG 80 (87,5% bigger than PSG)

Indeed, OL budget wasn't bigger by a 10 or 20 % margin. If we put things in perspective, the salaries increased drastically with the TV rights. When PSG signed Pauleta, his salary was slighty above 100 000€ per month so the difference of budget is indeed more consequent than we could think looking with our 2014 perspective. Surprisingly, at the time, the articles in the press reported that most of the biggest salaries in L1 were playing at Lyon. Surprisingly again, when PSG wanted Essien and Malouda, Lyon offered them a bigger salary and they joined Lyon. Perhaps, it's not related. You would have been credible to talk about prederminism in the rankings related to budget if you mentioned it when Lyon had the biggest budget in France.

In my previous message, I wasn't talking about the fact that PSG had a lower budget than Lyon but rather you are not concerned with Lyon having a budget 300, 400 or 500% bigger than their opponents like Toulouse, Ajaccio or Nantes, right now, in 2014.

It was a pleasure to prove you wrong. Have a nice week end.

24. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    #425 SportBoy333, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    Monaco beat Lyon 3-2 in a very entertaining match. Berbatov scored so yeah hes doing fine so far and hasnt been a flop. Germain scored as well. I think people thought he was the odd man out but he's starting over Riviere. If Falcao's back next year someone's gonna go and Riviere would be coveted by foreign clubs. Not sure he wants to stay in L1 since hes already played for 3 teams here. Martial could be loaned out instead which is what Id prefer. Maybe Id prefer Berbatov not be back and get someone better but hes doing a fine job so Im not sure.