Alert: Gearing up for Mexico?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by vflkirwan, Jan 9, 2009.

1. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Streamers on the Cheap. If you have a party city near you, now is the time to get some.

$10 off orders of $30 at Party City.

[​IMG]

http://www.partycity.com/emailblasts/090107/090107.html

So thats $30 worth of streamers for the price of $20.

One person has already donated $20 to the NJB Bus Trip. That has now turned into $30 worth of streamers.

Anyone else want to donate $20 to the trip, GO HERE AND DO SO. That will just be another $30 worth of streamers for the US Supporters section.

2. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SCB will be bringing a 20x30 baby ass flag, along with multiple flags and banners to hang up before the game.

If people are willing to spend a little extra cash, those streamers could be amazing after a goal, and maybe a smoke bomb or two:cool: .

Chase

3. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have the US supporters ever used flares in the crowd?

4. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about this exact same thing only a few minutes ago...

Watching Croatia or Turkey play, seeing flares go off after goals, nothing looks cooler.

Is there any possibility of this, or do the negatives outweigh the positives ?

5. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll be bringing the 30 x 60 Big Ass FLAG and the 20 x 30 Baby we have to the game.

Oh yeah, this too:

[​IMG]

AND Just came back from Party City. 31 streamers so far.

6. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that Crew Stadium and every MLS stadium ban flares and fireworks. I suppose if you lit one it could be grounds for ejection or they might just take it away. However, that's why I was asking to see if we've ever lit flares and if there were consequences. I guess it'd be best to ask a member of Section 8 since they were lighting flares when Wynalda made that infamous comment. I think flares add to the atmosphere and intensity of the match, however they should only be used at the right times as to not take away from the enjoyment of the match (visibility).

7. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be bringing 3-4 smoke bombs. It will be the small ones from the firework stand. It'll go off before kick-off.

8. BenHouck

BenHouck Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you watch the highlight video from the Conf. semi-final a Fire fan lights a flare after McBride scored in the first half. You can see the cop pouring a cup of water on it to put it out too. I don't think anyone was kicked out. However that was in the South End which was not full on that night. They were able to put it on the floor and move everyone away from it before dousing it. With the stadium packed to capacity it becomes more dangerous. Also the intensity will already be turned up to 11 so the dramatics are a bit redundant.

9. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Suggestion for others. If you have a Hobby Lobby, around here they have streamers at 3/$1. I did a bulk buy from them for The Red Army and they cut it to 4/$1. Told the manager the quantity, what is was for, that I was shopping around to see if anyone could cut me a deal, and that their would like be future bulk buys.

10. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe at least one of their fans was kicked out. From my understanding, it wasn't the person who lit the flare but someone else who just took one for the team. I imagine security is going to be really high for the game as they check for flares/smoke bombs/alcohol being brought into the stadium. I would not even think of trying to bring in flares.

11. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Last time I remember thinking "I could have easily gotten a flare into the stadium"

12. Cade

Cade Member

Jul 7, 2008
    ok, speaking of gearing up. What's the weather gonna be like?

Obviously its going to be cold, but will a long sleeve layered shirt, jeans, thick socks and jacket be fine? I remember seeing people with their bodies painted at previous games there for US-Mexico? and if people are talking of tailgating, I can't imagine it being unbearable.

I need to know if I can assure my friend that he won't need a ski mask and snow gloves..

13. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carhartt, Yak traks, Columbia, North Face, Goose Down. Gear.
    The average low in February for columbus has tended to be in the low 20's.[​IMG]

14. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    It doesn't matter how cold it is, there are always shirtless idiots.

I've done research:

Historical temperatures for Feb 11 from Weather Underground:

Code:
    Year    H   L  Mean        @ 6.53 EST[FONT=monospace]
    [/FONT]2008 - 18  03   10        17 overcast (snow later) 4mph
    2007 - 25  03   14        24 overcast 8mph
    2006 - 37  23   30        32 overcast 12mph
    2005 - 30  19   24        30 overcast 8mph
    2004 - 36  19   28        34 clear 4mph
    2003 - 33  10   20        24 mostly cloudy 10mph
    2002 - 35  26   30        33 clear 7mph
    2001 - 32  17   24        28 clear 8mph

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for the smoke/flares/whatever, the negatives FAR outweigh the positives.

Do you really want to risk ejection and possible arrest after spending all that time and money to get here? Do you really want to risk MORE security watching the section after the thing gets lit? And if you light the thing BEFORE the game and get caught, you've just spent all that time and money to get thrown out of stadium before the clock hits the one minute mark.

More security = less leway.

Don't try it. It's a bad idea.

16. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    So what your saying is... don't get caught :)

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saying don't do it.

A lot of people have put in countless hours ensuring that everyone stay safe and have a fun time.

If anyone does it, they're a moron plain and simple.

There's a lot of other ways to display passion without lighting things on fire and making the air smell worse than a nasty bathroom. Use that money and make a huge banner or go buy a drum.

If one gets lit, then you also risk random fans being ejected. If security thinks it's someone, what's stopping them from throwing that guy out? Columbus security is actually quite good at identifying the perp.

If anyone does it, they also risk hurting the reputation of SA and AO. Various groups have given us a lot of leeway. Why would anyone want that to be taken away? Just as easily as we're allowed to have drums, banners, and the ability to stand in the seating area, all that stuff can be taken away.

Don't light stuff on fire and don't throw stuff.

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    yea what's everyone wearing to this game btw?

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA gear?

A lot of warm coats, warm socks, warm boots?

Depending on the weather, I may plan like i'm going skiing. We're dealing with being outside for about 4 or so hours (maybe more or less depending on individual schedules) in freezing, or sub-freezing weather.

20. TasteTheRainbow

Aug 22, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    streamers arent illegal are they? can you just walk in with a grocery bag full? whats the rules on that?

21. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    So the USA Hockey jersey would be out of the question, along with that USA baseball jersey?

22. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    No one said anything about throwing them.

23. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    flares aren't allowed anywhere in the world, doesn't stop anyone else.

24. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    OK, no need to argue this. There are some people that like them, some that don't and some that are ambivalent. Nobody's mind gets changed.

However, if anyone is Columbus knows were to pick up some fun stuff after I get in town please let me know via PM :)

25. wgoood2

wgoood2 New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** baseball!!!