Gear again, but with a twist

Discussion in 'Referee' started by timtheref, Oct 11, 2016.

1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    the tornado is my favorite with too many fields because it sounds so different from the ubiquitous fox40
    i found this interesting- I keep trying to like my pearl because it also has a distinctive sound. But unlike you, I find it one of the hardest to "talk" with.
    I also found the last interesting - I've never had a problem gettin enough volume for the 40, the mini, or the dolphin- but I though the sonik was also harder to "talk" with, so I've only used it a couple of times.
    As someone else posted, once you do it a couple of times, the hand switching isn't something you think about- it becomes reflexive.

2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Is it terrible to signal with the whistle(s) in your hand? I do it all the time. I never switch hands, but I do drop the ball with the whistle in my mouth.

Yellow Fox 40 Classic is my standard and I can get just about any note I want out of it, bends and all. On the other side of the split ring is my Sonik, which is mostly reserved for stuff like breaking up fights, and rousing the teams when they're slow coming out of the locker room after the half, and waking up the occasional dozing scoreboard operator.

IASocFan and uniqueconstraint repped this.
  3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    No. Some of us prefer not to. As needed I can signal while still whistling. I like it, but I don't think it's. big deal.

4. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have yet to try the Tornado, but I do like the sound when I hear it on neighboring fields.

I have three whistles on my keyring:

I have a yellow Classic like Bubba Atlanta - mostly because it was a gift from my mom, otherwise I would have gotten a new Dolfin to replace one I broke a few years back.

For when I'm pissed or most Adult games, the Sonik Blast gets the job done.

I use the Pearl on those tournament weekends when we're all stacked atop each other, kind of a "zig when everyone else zags" kind of thing. Keeps people from confusing my whistle with others.

My mechanics are usually mistaken for walking during an earthquake, so I honestly don't notice if I signal with whistle in hand - but I probably do.

5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I am among those who feel compelled to carry a phone on the field in most of the games that I do. (I very rarely need it, but at times need to deal with logistic issues, and it's nice to have a flashlight when the lights are timed wrong and the field goes dark . . .) But I've never been happy with how to carry it -- by best solution was wedged sideways in a back pocket. My wife is a runner and recently introduced me the Flipbelt. It's a belt designed for runners that is essentially a tube of elasticized cloth with slits in it. (There is also a version with a zipper, which could be good if you wanted to stick a key in there.) I wear it between my undershirt and jersey. A phone easily slides into a slit and is held in place -- phone is comfortable either in front or back [I prefer spinning it to the back] and I don't even notice it is there. Could also put money clip or mini-wallet in. Just thought it was worth sharing.

(And no, I have no affiliation with the company.)

6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Will it make me look lumpy? :unsure:

IASocFan repped this.
  7. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Lumpier?

IASocFan, uniqueconstraint and cmonref repped this.
  8. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    better than having the "lump" of a blue tooth in your ear during the game.

9. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Wireless headsets for optimum game management.

10. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    When only one guy's wearing one?

11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Well I talk to myself constantly when I'm on the pitch.

IASocFan repped this.
  12. timtheref

timtheref Member

Aug 23, 2010
    I decided State Referee wasn't a high enough level. So I upgraded to Intergalactic Referee. Here's my badge... (which I do in fact wear during unsanctioned, i.e. indoor, games.)
    [​IMG]

13. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I wear this one for unsanctioned matches:

[​IMG]

SccrDon and djmtxref repped this.
  14. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    I was making a joke, would be a realistic idea though in a few years. Soccer field is small enough in theory for it to work, but practical reliability limitations on bluetooth, kills it. I could see another 2.4 GHz signal working.

15. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I have got to get one of those for ARPA games.

16. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
  18. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
  19. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Wonder how long until you get a punch in the nose. :rolleyes:

cmonref and sitruc repped this.
  20. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Just got some b+d flags. Bought them from a U.K. Site Refstore.co.uk , where at £30 were a bit cheaper than domestic sites- with international shipping the World Cup set (without bag) were $56 or so at the current exchange rate.

21. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I wanted to get some new packing folders, since my son stole one of my eagle creek ones last time he went back to school, and I was a little annoyed that they would come open sometimes in my bag.

I found these on amazon, and they are great- zipper instead of Velcro, nicely designed. For the price as well, they are a no brainer!

https://www.amazon.com/BAGSMART-Pac...id=1491364165&sr=8-10&keywords=Packing+folder

22. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Their called packing cubes, they're a bunch of Amazon sellers selling them. I have a few of the Amazon basic branded ones, they work great for organization. However I prefer the b&d organizer bc it it's water resistant.

23. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #73 fairplayforlife, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    I'm still an advocate for gallon plastic bags for jerseys, it's cheaper, they are individually wrapped, and if it rains your jerseys are safe at least.

voiceoflg and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  24. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    This, and I mark LS or SS on the outside with a Sharpie.

fairplayforlife and voiceoflg repped this.
  25. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do as well. Makes things very easy to find.