Garrincha vs George Best

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Gregoire, Apr 5, 2011.

?

Who's better

1. Best

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Garrincha

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  1. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    You;re right. If we have to be very very specific to player style than position, then Beckham was a right MF (not winger) however, his best time at ManU and Engloand 99-02, were famous for he drifting on the right and crossing in (just like a tradintional winger)

So most often, people listed Beckham in the top right wingers all rime! (like it of not?) Other names in Seedorf, Donadoni , Nedved ... were also side midfielder. Blame on the 4 4 2 popularity from late 90 to early 2000. The 2 side midfielders often called "WINGER" automatically ...

3. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Best was more of a forward than a touchline hugging winger. He liked to drift in a lot. Garrincha from what I've seen liked to go on the outside and whip in crosses.

4. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[Best also played as what was essentially an "all action" midfielder in a three-man line in Busby, Murphy & Co.'s version of a 4-3-3, etc. Excellent observation(s) and I start going over the variety or roles that Best lined-up in back on pg.2 and will try and get back to it soon...]

5. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[But, Beckham did not do things like consistently go at and take the ball past his defender/full-back and get to the opposition's by-line like an "out-&-out" winger. A wide "MF" and an "out-&-out" winger are two distinct positions/roles even though they often occupy the same areas of the pitch. Just as a centre-back is not a "stay-@-home"-type of sweeper, or a left-back is not a wing-back, etc., etc.]

6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    totally agree with you. I said Beckahm was regarded as "winger" by many (not me).

Also Agree that Best should be specifically labeled as "wide FW" (like you mention of the 4 3 3 formation) just like Figo, CR7 , Robben Riberry .... in position. However Garrincha Figo, and Best could play as traditional winger with no hassle ...

7. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[Someone that at least recognises the nominal difference between a "greater" and a "superior" or "better" player...]

8. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[Whether it was in the Busby, Murphy & Co. version of the 4-3-3 or in a nominal four-man front-line: United also frequently lined-up Herd as the "card-carrying" No.9 w/Law supporting and playing-off of Herd as the swift "predator" and Charlton getting into dangerous positions from a bit deeper.

Charlton was VERY adept at working-off of a "spearhead" C-F because his "uncle" (actually 2nd cousin) Jackie Milburn often wore the No.9 for the Toon & England...]

9. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[IIRC, in both legs Busby, Murphy & Co. were utilising that 4-2-4/4-4-2 latter-day W-M" variant formation. George Best wore the No.7 as the R-W (usually covering quite bit of grass on that side of the pitch) w/John Connelly as the L-W. The match footage looks like Herd was assigned the "spearhead" role while Law was working-off of him as the "predator"...]

PDG1978 repped this.
  10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks. That's the sort of thing I would've imagined from my knowledge and the highlights. I just wasn't sure because of that article you linked before (Best was certainly getting forward and mostly on the right side of the pitch so perhaps when he played as more of a midfielder he did significantly more work in the middle and wouldn't really seem like a right-sided player primarily as he did in that game for example).

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  11. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yeah, Best style was like that of Messi on right side or a CR7 on left side. He dribbled but then CUT IN into the box (rather than going alomg the sideline til the end and crossing in like traditional winger)
    He did play a lot of games as a FW or CAM (behind strikers)

One thing I don;t understand that many LISTED him as LEFT winger *(!) but in fact he played more games on the RIGHT side than on left and then last in middle
    roughly speaking: 45% RFW, 35% LFW, 20% as FW/CAM

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think in his most famous games (like the ones vs Benfica certainly in both 1966 and 1968) he played from the right side. I'll let Roy comment on the percentages though;) as he lived through Best's career. I do know he played as left winger early in his career often and also often in 1968/69 and 1970/71 I think (certainly some highlights show him doing so wearing the number 11). Yes he did also play as a FW/CAM and as Roy stated in a right side midfield role too (not as a winger).

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  14. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[This also causes confusion because when he played as a nominally right-sided "all-action"-type in a three-man midfield (usually in Busby & Murphy's version of a 4-3-3) he most commonly wore the No.7 shirt...]

15. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[Are you getting these percentages from where the shirt numbers that Best wore were tracked?]

16. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[Thank you once again for the kind words, mate. :thumbsup:!!]

17. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[I rather pointed this out before: Charlton's ability and effectiveness at just taking the ball and "rocketing" up either flank (he usually preferred his own left-hand side) and then getting precision balls back into the opposition's "danger area" helped Best to no end in approaching a "free-role" in United's attack IMHO.]

PDG1978 repped this.
  18. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #68 carlito86, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019

4:00
    What a completely understated quality of George best
    That was a leap befitting of a Pelé,CR,bierhoff etc

His dribbling/wizardry was off in this game although he created a good chance and scored an important 2-1 goal

What made him great(clearly) was his completeness.if his dribbling wasn’t working he could still hurt a team with his finishing,crossing and aerial threat

19. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    George Best was more complete and better than garrincha..Only the World Cup and national career make garrincha higher
    What do you expect from g best with a weak national team?

20. Al Gabiru

Al Gabiru Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Both were wingers, the best dribblers of their generation, weren't top scorers (similar goal average, as ManiacButche and Once mentioned earlier) and sometimes made some bad decisions on the pitch.

You can compare two of your best individual performers. Garrincha vs Sweden World Cup Final 58 x Best vs Benfica European Cup Final 68 (ten years apart, the game really change)

My verdict is Garrincha. Best seems faster, but Garrincha was stronger and had more technique.

21. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    Obviously, George is more complete.
    He can defend and tackle well
    Excellent in aerial threat, two footed, Ability to play in several different positions..
    Garrincha is probably a better "winger" but Best is a better player.