Gameday Experience ranked in all MLS Stadiums

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by crookeddy, Nov 21, 2014.

1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
  2. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RBA at 16, two spots below Gillette, makes absolutely no sense. The article even lists like 10 negatives for Gillette and none for RBA.

Lancaster FC repped this.
  3. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Well this site (magazine actually) gave Staples Center a 5 out of 5 on atmosphere for Laker games, and Laker games are a freaking library, so I am not sure they know what they are talking about...

4. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So of the top four stadiums, only one was initially built exclusively (or primarily) for soccer? Interesting list.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Well its not really surprising that a more expensive stadium like CenturyLink or a newly renovated for the Olympics stadium like BC place would have things like better concessions and bathrooms then a cheaper SSS. They also take location into account, and Providence and CenturyLink are in great locations.

6. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note to self: Stadium Journey magazine is full of shit.

Bubba1971, SoccerPrime, Neuwerld and 6 others repped this.
  7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    They said this about Toyota Park:

. . . and the natural grass field appears to be kept in excellent shape, a lovely shade of green.

This has been a fairly major talking point with Fire supporters. The field is borderline criminal all year. The players have tweeted sarcastic jokes about it, Yallop has complained about it and blamed the village, the US Women specifically noted how crappy it was for their qualifier but mentioned that they were able to play through it. It may have been a lovely shade of green at the end of the year as we suspect they had a larger spray paint budget then sod budget.

8. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Fireworks go off in Sporting Park when SKC scores? I'll be honest... I did not know this.

9. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    My guess is they were kind of remembering the confetti blasts in the south end. I'm not sure about this list, but I do think they got the first two right.

10. I guess playing surface means jack if Seattle and Vancouver are rated high. Those 2 would be at the bottom for me just for that reason along with gillette.

Boloni86 repped this.
  11. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    unintended humor...good too...

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Everything should go into it. However, it doesn't seem like these guys used any kind of metrics to determine this ranking. Maybe the amount of fun they had at the 1 game they went to.

13. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    I agree that the top 3 belong in the top 3, after that....pfft

Haven't been to a game at Rio Tinto, but based on what I see on tv, they should be #4.

14. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I've been to away games in Dallas, Chicago, and Colorado. Dallas probably had the best atmosphere and, in my opinion, the prettiest stadium. Chicago is the only one that had a neighborhood. And while the Dallas fans were very excellent to us in the tailgate, Colorado wins that one by a large margin. The Rapids fans gave us so much food and beer and were in general eight thousand kinds of friendly and awesome. So I'm having trouble distinguishing quality of venue/experience from my personal experience in those stadia.

JasonMa repped this.
  15. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    If you've been to RBA, you know its one major drawback--the concourses are so narrow that when the stands are packed, it's almost impossible to move out there at halftime, forget standing in line for food (which you'll be lucky to have by minute 60), you can barely clamber to the bathroom. Complete gridlock.

On the upside, the seats are raked so well that a 7-foot tall person could sit in front of you and not obstruct your view.

16. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time I see someone rank MLS venues, I just shake my head. Why? Because there is never any kind of methodology to it...it's just based 100% of whatever the person ranking them "feels" (i.e. pulling stuff out of their ass).

Are we talking about player facilities? Playing surface? Fan concessions? Sight lines? Supporters atmosphere? Surrounding amenities? Parking? Tailgates?

We have no idea what it's based off of. That's generally because people that do this are just fishing for clicks instead of giving it any real thought.

17. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Wonderful sight lines no doubt...not a bad seat in the house...legit upper deck allowing fans to see the game from their vantage point of choice...I need to be above the action in the middle of the field to take it all in though sometimes I think even farther up (I'm in the first row upper) would be better...however I respect the folks who want to sit behind the goal in the upper deck since that may be the best way to see play schematically (but you're so far away from the far goal)...

Those are the key things for me...do most of your drinking/eating before the game and key in on the action...

Can I get to the stadium from the Bronx...once arriving can I get through the gate to my seats...do I have great seats...is there good fan passion...even if they closed the bathrooms I'd just make it my business to piss before the game and if the above stuff is in order everything would be fine...

18. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well having been the Wizards you should have known that the fireworks go off in Sporting Park but only in the Wizarding World. They are of course supplied courtesy of Weasley's Wizard Wheezes ;)

JasonMa repped this.
  19. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I think we should instead get some use out of this thread and make Trip Advisor MLS out of it...

--Take CASH to Stade Saputo, you can't get food otherwise, and the ATMs there are a joke.

--The red metal seats at Rio Tinto are the worst butt-busters in the league, but the the burrito truck was awesome!

--PPL Park had an excellent beer selection when I visited a couple years back, and the tailgating by the river was a blast.

--The food at StubHub (HDC when I went) was horrible with no selection, and those dark tunnel-like areas leading to the aisles are just plain bad design.

--When I went to Toronto, if you wanted to get there early and drink, you got Carlsberg with a wristband in a roped-off cattle-pen of an area and had to go to the bathroom in a neighboring exhibition hall of the Ontario fairgrounds.

Merchandise (jerseys, etc.) in Canada must be 50% more expensive than the US--they were asking crazy prices (USD$120+) in Toronto and MTL.

fuzzx repped this.
  20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Stubhub Center food is epic bad. Inexplicable when you consider AEG also runs Staples Center where the food choices make it feel like you are in a gourmet restaurant.

21. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    To be fair, each stadium name is a link that connect to its breakdown. They address more things in depth. It's less arbitrary than it all initially looks, though I still find some of their descriptions a little odd.

22. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The DC United". Gag.

ImNumberTen repped this.
  23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you click on each stadium's name, it'll tell you the breakdown of each team's ratings. FCD's breakdown was...

Food & beverage: 5 stars
    Atmosphere: 5 stars
    Neighborhood: 4 stars
    Fans: 5 stars
    Access: 4 stars
    Return on investment: 4 stars
    Extras: 3 stars
    Total (FANFARE score): 4.3 stars

Meanwhile, TFC got the following breakdown:

Food & beverage: 5 stars
    Atmosphere: 4 stars
    Neighborhood: 4 stars
    Fans: 5 stars
    Access: 4 stars
    Return on investment: 3 stars
    Extras: 3 stars
    Total (FANFARE score): 4.0 stars

One can quibble with the "atmosphere" scores for each -- even I as an FCD fan would probably guess that they caught FCD on a good night -- but not with the return on investment. FCD = cheaper tickets to watch better soccer. Duh.

24. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The Galaxy averaged 28k in '96 which is more than Stubhub's capacity.

25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I see. Clicking through the links actually explains some of the methodology. I disagree with many of the scores but at least the ranking now makes sense. RBA got destroyed by "neighborhood" where the Bulls got 1 star, though I hear that there is some serious development finally happening around the Arena.