Gamechanger.... looks like our SD MLS messiah has arrived!!

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by marford21, Mar 6, 2015.

1. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So If it is a binary decision SDSU vs. SoccerCity (and like you I hope they can come to some agreement) then I choose SDSU. My concern is how long it will take them to actually use that space? Does the SDSU West plan have any specific details of what they are actually going to do with the land? What's the timescale? How are they going to secure the money? My fear if SDSU gets the land is it'll be 30 years before they get to use it.

Of course the real disaster is both sides negative campaigns causes voters to shoot them both down and we're back to square one.

2. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the stadium and the surrounding commercial to support the stadium would be built right away as would some housing for undergrads and grad students.

They do have a phased approach though so it would probably take 10-20 years to complete the build out, that is fine with me though as long as progress is being made and the new stadium and the Q are up within 5 years.

3. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Curious... where do you see the evidence of lack of good faith?

4. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you read the whole article?

5. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I did.

6. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't re-read the whole article but I believe the above points show a lack of good faith. They tried to bull rush the university straight up. There is a reason Hirshman isn't there anymore and ended up at a small liberal arts college.

7. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Fair enough.

I suppose they're argument revolved around the urgency of the MLS expansion window that had just opened at the time.

In the event SDSU West prevails, or neither initiative crosses that 50% threshold, when do you think San Diego could realistically hope/expect to net an MLS team?

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not for several decades

9. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I agree. Which is why I'm still voting for the soccercity thing. SDSU will get what they need regardless.

10. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is not true. They will get to use the stadium and a little housing but no room for offices or classrooms.

I disagree. If both initiatives fail best case scenario for us is that SoccerCity comes to SDSU West to make a deal. Second best would be that they release their hopes of getting a team and SDSU West finds a suitable partner.

MLS isn't going to announce 27 or 28 for at least another 2 years. No one is rising above the others to force their hand right now (sorry Sacramento).

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s why I’m voting yes on both. Both give SDSU and the MLS guys what they need. They’re just both too stupid to realize it.

Won’t matter though. Their negative ads against each other are just going to split the yes vote and ensure neither gets 50%.

owian and Threeke repped this.
  12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they both fail SDSU west is dead. SDSU west needs to pass to go forward.

13. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can always try again next year. Not so with SoccerCity

14. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Agreed. SDSU doesn't need the housing and classrooms that they are looking for in MV for years to come. All they need to do is prevent SoccerCity from winning this November, and they effectively can declare victory. I'd be surprised if both lose and SDSU doesn't find a way to stake their claim for this property.

Interestingly enough, the SDSU West plan only has 260 student housing only units while the SoccerCity plan has 800 so if that counts as "a little housing" then I'm curious how you'd describe what SDSU West offers. And they'd have classroom/office space with SoccerCity too. It might cost more, but its not like it wouldn't exist.

CoronaOrange repped this.
  15. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
  16. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding of the way the housing is laid out in the SDSU West plan is that very little is designated as student housing. Most are lower density residences that are meant to be used by grad students and researchers. There are even some single family homes meant to be to attract senior professors and the like. I do wonder why they only allot 260 student only units and not more though.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually they can’t try again for two years. And that’s if they’re able to procure enough signatures second time around.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They may not need the housing now, but if they intend to play football beyond 2020... they need it to pass this year. Otherwise they’re going to end up homeless.

19. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard this. Where are you getting that info?

20. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Wouldn't they just need one of the two to pass? Unless you're assuming FS doesn't let them play if SoccerCity passes?

21. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I think he's assuming they try another citizens initiative and there isn't a special election before Nov 2020, which there might actually be btw.

22. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can one of the locals give us a fresh update as to the status of the land involved? Is it City, county or state owned? If both initiatives fail, what, if any, reasonable possibilities exist for MLS on that site?
    Can the city decide to accept one of the offers outside if elections? Can they auction it off to the highest bidder? Can they do an RFP and grant it to whoever provides for the greater good of the city, however they define that?

23. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If soccer city wins there is no way they don't let SDSU play football in their stadium. Its additional revenue. But when we were talking about housing we were talking about actual houses/apartments so I found his answer funny :D

Good point.

24. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its city owned land.

Depends on what happens in 2019. Lots of variables

The city has been reluctant to go this route as it is such a big decision that will effect the city going forward. This is one of the last remaining spots in the city central that can be redeveloped so what happens there will have last impacting.
    In my opinion, this initiative should be a county wide initiative as it will effect more than just city of San Diego residents but pretty much everyone else in the county (north county too although to a smaller extent)

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that after the recent change in law, special elections of this sort are of questionable legality and the measures have to be held on a general election ballot.

mike4066 repped this.