Gamechanger.... looks like our SD MLS messiah has arrived!!

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by marford21, Mar 6, 2015.

1. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If FSI wins, the amount of revenue SDSU football would get from the gate would be really small compared to what they currently get and to what they could get from SDSU West.

This would lead to the death of SDSU football cause as it is they are already playing under a handicap because of their G5 position.

2. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I thought SDSU could keep all their revenue from their football games? I don't think they'd be eligible to take 100% of revenue from non-SDSU related events at the stadium, but there's no way they'd be hamstrung for their own games/events.

Everyone knows that the lease from the Chargers was overwhelmingly restrictive. I don't think FSI would turn around and hit them with the exact same terms.

3. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're right that it wouldn't be as restrictive. The issue is the amount of revenue from a 22K stadium (we don't know when the 33.5K will be available, if from the beginning then it shouldn't be as much as an issue).

Now this might be a non-starter but that is one scenario of how SDSU would lose football.

4. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    If FSI wins they'll build the 33.5k from the get-go. Assuming SDSU puts up its $100m that the plan calls for.

The "expandable to 40k" bit is what would come later and cost much more money, but allegedly is still possible under the FSI plan.

CoronaOrange repped this.
  5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I don't know if it would be less than they get now. They only get their game day revenue from SDCCU Stadium as it is right now. But clearly they'd get more under their own plan than they do now or under FSI's plan.

mike4066 repped this.
  6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh and just a clarification, someone earlier had mentioned FSI's SoccerCity would be on the June Ballot. That's incorrect. It is on the November 2018 ballot which is where SDSU's plan will land as well. They will be directly head to head on the same ballot.

mike4066 repped this.
  7. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    There's an event tonight that I'm going to. I'll ask that question. I'm pretty certain that for their own gameday SDSU will keep 100% of the gate. I suspect the same is true for the MLS games. FSI will pocket those gate receipts.

The gray area is around the other events held at the stadium. Is it a 50/50 split? Does the host party pocket 100%? Is it 80/20? Who has priority for scheduling dates?

Hit me with any other questions you guys have as well. I'll see if I can get some answers.

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should be splitting non-MLS/SDSU event revenue in proportion to the amount of money they're putting in to the total stadium cost. Same would go for SDSU's plan I'd hope. However I imagine that's not the case on either plan. But do confirm one way or the other if you can.

CoronaOrange and Threeke repped this.
  9. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How many housing units does their plan allot to SDSU?

How much classroom space?

What do they plan to do in Murphy Canyon?

Threeke repped this.
  10. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I would, and would be perfectly fine with the Soccer City plan accommodating SDSU just concerned that this vote is going to be so poisonous that neither side would be willing to work with the other.

So imagining a scenario where Soccer City wins, SDSU decides to try and build there own facility but eventually isn't able to and dumps football.

athletics68 repped this.
  11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too am concerned about this opposition vote. If the last stadium vote in this town is any indication, it's going to get VERY contentious. And on top of that, I fear that like last time, neither side will win as they'll cannibalize each other's votes due to that contentiousness.

mike4066 repped this.
  12. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Good questions. Off the top of my head I know that the range in the FSI initiative for housing is 800-2,000 student units, and that at the Murphy Canyon facility they'll build dormitories for their academy players with room to host visiting teams, plus training fields and an athletic center (gym/pool/training room etc). Office space for club staff like the video analysis dept or whatever I'm guessing.

I'll find out specifics on those two though and look into the classroom space as well. That's something I've been curious about as well.

Up until SDSU pulled out I thought this was going to be straightforward. Hopefully some time between now and November the two sides reconcile and consolidate behind one plan so that something actually gets done here for a change. I think everyone is a afraid that this will all be for nothing come this time next year.

13. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Well so far FSI has maintained that they'll keep the olive branch extended regardless of the outcome. Hopefully they aren't forced to retract that offering if shit gets really ugly. As long as State can swallow its ego in defeat, they won't need to build a new stadium because they'll have one to share.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And same goes the other way. SDSU has made it clear they'd welcome an MLS team into their stadium and plan if approached. Hopefully if FSI is defeated and SDSU prevails the FS guys don't just throw in the towel and actually back their talk of being in it first and foremost for soccer.

15. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure they will though. They want to make LOADS of money instead of some money so they need that land to be able to make it.

We'll see though, I'd love to eat crow and see that they are more about soccer and making money than just making money.

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I happen to agree with you, which is why I made the statement. It's pretty clear the MLS guys are in this for the land as much if not more so than the team. I mean the opposition who've pointed out there's no guarantee they are granted and MLS team, and yet would still get the land if the SoccerCity initiative passes, are spot on. And expect that to continue to be played up as San Diego misses out on the first round of expansion.

17. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love for San Diego to get an MLS Team and not having the community fleeced over it, thus a couple of thoughts and questions. Hoping you folks could help me out and if there are, also clear up any misconceptions on my part.

Who and how are they gonna pay for the SDSU project?
    Are FS just in it for the Soccer and doing good things for San Diego and it's people?
    Of course they see financial gains too, but they are honest about it. It's all detailed out in the SoccerCity project.

What are the costs of SDSU project?
    With FS, it's the price is the whatever fair appraisal amount that was/is set by the city or under their authority.

Does the SDSU project guarantee an MLS Team?
    As far as I understand, FS does. No San Diego MLS Team, no SoccerCity project

18. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will answer your question to the best of my ability.

1: No firm answers yet. Supposed to be releasing more details later this month.
    2. Cost of the stadium is 250 million.
    3. The SDSU project does not guarantee an MLS franchise.

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither project guarantees an MLS team.

mike4066 repped this.
  20. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point

21. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think, in answer to #3, SDSU isn't explicitly trying to get an MLS team, but if one materializes, fine. Soccer City SD is pushing for an MLS team.

mike4066 repped this.
  22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but SoccerCity doesn’t guarantee an MLS team. And yet they still get the land. Expect that fact to be front and center in the opposition campaign.

23. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be awesome if you or somebody else can back that up with a source.
    Because as far as I remember Mike Stone is on record that if there is no MLS Expansion team awarded to San Diego, the SoccerCity project isn't going forward.

Mind you I can't find that confirmation of that either (maybe it was on a podcast from the mighty 1090), but I'd appreciate to have a confirmation of the situation either way, even if I'm wrong.

If what you wrote is true, then that does change the the current situation drastically obviously.

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you'll find actual confirmation of either. That was the problem. Stone didn't have it written into the initiative that they don't get the land if the don't get an MLS team. When called on that he's given outside assurances his group won't take the land sans team as you say. But that assurance isn't worth the paper its not written on since its not in the initiative. And they're going to get hammered on that fact from now until election day. Just as SDSU will get hammered on the lack of specificity in their initiative.

You're already seeing it with the UT and other papers writing negative pieces about both "incomplete" initiatives.

25. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pure speculation on my part but we should know more about the SDSU plan the week of the Dec. 20

That was the week mentioned by the AD of SDSU.

The next teams to be announced for expansion will happen sometime after Dec 14.

The dates could be coincidence or it could be related. My speculation is that they are related and we will learn a lot when SDSU announces their plan.