Gamechanger.... looks like our SD MLS messiah has arrived!!

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by marford21, Mar 6, 2015.

1. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In theory it would be less trips but since SDSU doesn't actually have a plan (as far as I know) we don't know. They could use the land in such a way that creates as much traffic congestion as soccer city. You are right they probably won't but at this point we simply don't know.

As for the personal attacks State has called FS untrustworthy liars. And that's the official position.

mike4066 repped this.
  2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they're getting calls from old people (ie reliable voters) who hate soccer.

3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    SDSU and old people have a common taste and talent for being destructive.

4. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

5. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be interesting now with Soccer City detached from the Mayor's Convention center plan. With that one there was a reasonable argument that it didn't require a special election and should wait until an already scheduled one. Soccer City has a specific deadline. Probably will still be voted down but there's a chance.

6. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Even if it is voted down. If you know MLS there's a regular extension of deadlines if the move is right.

The next time I hear a plan from SDSU, or anybody else on Gods green Earth, will be the first time.

7. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll hear a plan eventually...the land is too valuable not to have it redeveloped. The question is when.

8. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has any cost assessments of land prep costs been done yet? Clearing the stadium and environmental remediation etc.? That could limit the opportunities the City has, especially without investing city funds up-front.

9. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe so. FSI did one I think and were asking for credit on the land costs. Don't remember the specific number though. Was in the 10's of millions though (due to some environmental issues)

10. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got this email today, thought the timeline mentioned would be helpful.
    If some of you are undecided and able to go, please go and attend for those like me who can't.

11. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

How embarrassing. Honestly, Xolos, LAFC, Galaxy. It's no problem. I'll just move back to North County and be able to go to all three. San Diego deserves to be minor league in sports. It's great for almost everything else in life, but I don't think I'll ever move back within the city limits.

If you oppose everything you end up having a bunch of nothing.

12. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Came across a post in an SDSU message board. It basically said that the reason why the council voted against soccer city isn't because they wanted to "save" SDSU or even cared about them, its because the unions are against soccer city as they wanted to use non-Union labor on the project. Basically rival developers are using SDSU as a pawn and someone over there is being fed a whole bunch of BS.

Pretty interesting take and one that I hadn't thought of before

13. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Yea the Labor Union is what turned the council.

14. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  16. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knowing the San Diego city council nothing is going to get done. Just typical San Diego politicians. It makes me feel sick to my stomach. Our only change is going to be NASL in the north county where they put the stadium in either Escondido or Oceanside and don't have anything to do with the city council.

17. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is the reason than FS investors need to bare some of the blame as well. I know with Petco John Moores negotiated an agreement where they paid union wages for everyone but allowed it to be an open shop (you didn't have to be in the union to work). Now maybe FS offered a deal similar to this and the unions turned them down, but if they were insisting on keeping the unions out of this project than it's partially their responsibility as well.

18. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  19. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The interesting thing is...this project was also delayed a bunch cause Gaylord was going to use non-union labor. Notice they aren't even building it anymore.

To make this soccer focused though, the bayfront was never slated for soccer (I know I read someone was looking to demolish the salt processing plant but that fizzled real quick).

The only consistent soccer mentions in CV has been in the eastern part of the city. It will more than likely be USL but I don't mind that. I could potentially walk there from my house :)

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's USL I'd be satisfied with that short term. With now weak the NASL is right now I just can't get jazzed for teams that league is taking in simply to stay alive.

Papillon Soo Soo and mike4066 repped this.
  21. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1046 CoronaOrange, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

22. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they get SDSU on board.

If they do that then the unions will have a very difficult time defeating it again.

24. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I don't even get what happened today. All the council was deciding was whether or not to put it on ANY ballot or adopt it. Such a song a dance for an obvious outcome.

What I don't understand is the mechanics of FSI requesting a special election.

25. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas