Gamechanger.... looks like our SD MLS messiah has arrived!!

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by marford21, Mar 6, 2015.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, SF Investors have the exclusive rights to MLS in SD. That's what keeps getting glossed over by other groups claiming they'll bring MLS too if their group is chosen instead. Plus it ignores the reality that MLS bids were already submitted, and theirs weren't among them.

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well FS has got more than the minimum number of signatures and then some so far from what I was told at the USMNT viewing party downtown. They were at approximately 100,000 already and still gathering. So looks like it will be going before the council as expected with no issue there.

3. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
  4. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #805 athletics68, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    You know, I don't see what the objections are. The plan is for a half SDSU/half soccer stadium. If SDSU doesn't want it, that's not FS's problem. But their plan does legitimately call for a soccer stadium and it is a stadium for SDSU, nothing disingenuous about saying that. Also nothing wrong with signature gatherers highlighting the stadium over the rest of the development. I mean I agree I don't like it when signature drives are disingenuous like when the Measure C guys were saying Comic-Con supported them last year on the "Convadium". But I don't see this as that.

6. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad..I also forgot to link a tweet Zeigler posted. Said a signature gatherer said that SDSU endorsed the plan AND that it would reduce MV traffic.

7. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I think there is a bit of desperation on their part. I mean Stone was on 1090 this morning and highlighted a good point about SDSU's ill advised going it alone idea... they'd not only be on the hook for the stadium (approx $150 by SDSUs estimate) but demo, site prep (which will be tens of millions on its own since the site is partially in the flood plain right now), and 100% of the stadium maintenance down the road. FS in their plan is taking care of demo of the Q, site prep, would take $50 mil of SDSU's cost on the stadium off their plate and would take care of 50% of the stadium maintenance for at least 30 years.

9. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point was about the signature gatherers being untruthful. The plan has merit on its own that they don't need to lie.

10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the vast majority aren't. The media is just looking for the few bad eggs to stir the pot. Besides, proportionally they've already got approx 110,000 signatures. Even if a sizable percentage of them are wrongly collected, the majority will still be good.

11. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Yeah about half the "falsehoods" mentioned put it in a worse light than the truth would have. If all the unattributed quotes were really made, it just points more to their lack of understanding of the project. I wouldn't assume a marginally employed signature gatherer to be well-informed or even well-educated, especially on such a complex financial and political issue. Citizens are responsible for informing themselves about what they sign.

12. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    FS Investors want the City Council to put the Soccer City SD bid to be placed on the Nov. 7 ballot.

13. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All and all probably not a bad move. It takes away the attack that this whole thing is a "backroom deal" being rushed through the council. Still going to be tricky this is San Diego, but FS has been doing a great job so far so I think they have a better than 50/50 of getting it passed.

And obviously the MLS statement is comforting. Guessing there were assurances made around the Franchise fee.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah with them being able to get over 120,000 signatures in a little over two weeks does bode well for the vote. Remember special elections usually only get out those motivated to vote. So the odds are always up for those putting forth the item for vote anyway. And with the level of support Soccer City is getting I like their chances. And it effectively neuters most of those that were countering them whose main objection was that it wasn't being put to a vote. The only other real opposition is SDSU. And if Soccer City can keep up the pressure on them, they'll have to see which way the wind is blowing and cut a deal with FS.

Ben7 and mike4066 repped this.
  15. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Ben7 repped this.
  16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, this is why I'm still bullish on SD even with it going to a vote. The only real opposition left is the Aztecs. And their opposition is predicated on them believing the city would just gift the Qualcomm site to them. Which was never going to happen. They were going to have to pay market value for it and then fund their own stadium (neither of which they're financially able to do). I think ultimately they'll have to negotiate with FS and take what they can get. Beggars can't be choosers. And if this level of support keeps up for the Soccer City plan it'll either be work with them now, or get whatever FS decides to give you later.

17. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I think both sides are playing chicken so to speak and seeing who blinks first..unfortunately SDSU doesn't hold as many cards as they think.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...an-carlos-rodrguez-soccercity-0425-story.html

“It’s not only an MLS team,” Juan Carlos Rodriguez said in a recent interview. “This is way bigger than MLS. … We really want to make the biggest thing that has ever happened to (San Diego).”

Rodriguez is president of Univision Deportes, which holds the rights to Spanish-language MLS telecasts in the U.S. It also has those rights for Liga MX, the national teams of the United States and Mexico, Copa America and the Gold Cup.

He joined the FS Investors group pushing SoccerCity after being convinced not only of the viability of MLS in the market but the capacity for San Diego to become an epicenter for international soccer – with national teams and clubs from around the world spending extended time training in San Diego each year, bringing media and fans with them.

athletics68 repped this.
  19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look for more of this in the coming months. They're going to be pushing the value of the project beyond just MLS hard. And with good reason, MLS is only a small part of the project.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  20. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Can we agree that JCR is the true SD MLS Messiah and rename this thread?

Ben7 and msilverstein47 repped this.
  21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    IMG_2076.jpg

From SDSU boards

22. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    So, if MLS has a choice between a handful of candidates with proper SSS plans and San Diego with a Whitecaps part deux set up, does San Diego get in?

I'm sure the Soccer City people won't care either way as long as they get the entitlement.

I would love a SD team. But if I were an MLS strategist, Id be weary of this group with a 35K+ venue being awarded a franchise. The league doesn't need SD for footprint, this stadium will be bad for the league's presentation and I have a hunch this group looks like they'd be crappy MLS owners

23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Rowdies and Republic have stadium plans, anyone else? And Atlanta's huge dome didn't hinder their cause, although I agree with you that these FS investors might not make the best MLS owners.

Period of silence to me means that there is negotiating going on behind the scenes. If SDSU is on board this thing gets a lot stronger.

Juan Carlos Rodriguez, on the other hand, is someone Don Garber wants to continue to invest with.

24. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    Plus
    Phoenix
    Detroit
    San Antonio

Carolina, Indianapolis and St Louis (not sure if they're trying to regroup after their vote loss) also have bids with proposed stadiums.