PBP: Game Day - Nations League: Canada @ USMNT 11/15/19

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by NietzscheIsDead, Nov 15, 2019.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    A good number of CAMs can play like that for the US.

2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't get to see the U23 game so I'll take your word for it. I hope it was just an off game for him. I have been watching him and he looks to have what we need physically and technically to play the position.

3. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I’m not saying that Greg should play him centrally, as he is more valuable to the USA out wide.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Didn't he give up the goal in 0-1 loss to Brazil this week for U23's?

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Dotson played goalkeeper?

6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Ehem. Ream gets beat back post. Every game ream gets beat. Don’t know any defender on earth who lock starts with his defensive deficiencies. And team puts in a good effort without megastar Bradley.

7. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    And there aren’t a lot of national teams that rely on players from lower divisions

8. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    If Mitrovic was an American he would easily be the best pure striker we've had since Brian McBride.

They both play for Fulham.

9. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gave away the ball in a bad area and it lead to the goal, though keeper should have done better. Just went down instead of diving toward the near post where shot was headed.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I was just being sarcastic there. :)

I saw the highlights. The giveaway was far enough up the field that the defense could've done better.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Losing by one goal to Brazil, the current U23 World Champs (Olympic Gold Medal) is no shame. They have been beating everybody they play left and right, with Japan still being their kryptonite.

12. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont care if dotson dribbled the ball to the spot, steadied it and beckoned for a brazillian attacker to take their time while pointing to the goal- that was 97% percent on the keeper (and im allowing up to 3% for the rain/pitch condition).

a fluffed shot from distance with no pace, freese got his hand there and STILL let it in.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In case people want to know what the folks discussing the U23 Brazil vs. USA friendly from last Thursday, here are extended highlights:

The full game is interesting viewing, and available in the usual repositories (ZK has the version in English).

Sam Hamwich and jnielsen repped this.
  14. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, and even though the opposing team is closer than 10 yards, they must be as far away as possible from the ball. The furthest distance is on the goal line. I have never seen an indirect free-kick of this sort taken without the opposing team being lined up all the way across the goal. A bad Miss by the referee.

15. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i cant remember seeing an indirect fk in the last four or five years, if you asked before the match if they were even still a thing i would have said i didnt think so.

16. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair, but the giveaway is emblematic how the D and Dotson and Djordje played as a team the whole first half. Short passes deep in our own half with Brazil just waiting to pounce on a bad touch or errant pass. Brazil should have scored a couple more. In the 2nd half, we looked better because we started to play quicker and more vertical passes to get out of our own half. If Dotson is to be the DM, he has to be able to make forward passes or we'll always be pinned back. He also didn't win a lot of ball backs in that first half. Anyhow, I hope he does better in future games but he has not earned another start for the U23s based on that play making any discussion of him on the full team a moor topic. If the U23s do well and qualify to Tokyo, 7-8 key guys easily graduate to A team by end of 2020.

17. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I believe you have seen many indirect free kicks.
    Offside = indirect free kick
    Dangerous play = indirect free kick
    Impedes an opponent = indirect free kick
    GK Touches the ball when passed back using the feet = indirect free kick
    GK handles the ball a second time after releasing it = indirect free kick
    GK touches the ball after receiving it from a throw in = indirect free kick

There are other indirect free kick instances. I think the new restart if the referee interferes with play is also an indirect free kick and not an uncontested drop ball.. (I do not think the MLS implemented this in the just finished season.)

dlokteff repped this.
  18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I've always said I think Ream is a solid professional and I hope he plays for 20 years in top leagues, but he gets beat every single game for the US by either 1. physical play. 2. creative play or 3. stupid play on his part. Check back to his first game under Bradley, loss the Paraguay where, yup, he gets beat on a corner. Now review last night, yup, gets beat on a corner. Just keep on checking: beat 1 v .1 for a goal, beat on a give and go, beat on transition, beat beat beat.

If he had a bit more top end speed he could play left back or even dmid, but he is not viable as the last line of defense.

19. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wasnt really commenting on dotson, sorry to distract from the discussion of his play.

20. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That isn't what Lampard said when asked about Pulisic. He may be playing him on the left, but that isn't what he said when asked how he saw CP early on.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'm still not convinced by Lletget. He has some good games, and some not so good. I'd like to see him in friendlies against strong opposition to see what he can do.

He was good against Canada, yes, but I wouldn't pencil him in yet. He was exactly in the spot where the Canadians were at their most disorganized.

22. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Apologies if this has been said in the intervening 18 pages. Didn't have time to read them all. Nevertheless...

Zardes apparently dyes his hair in that blond streak so that his grandmother -- who doesn't see so well anymore -- can see which player he is on TV.

And more importantly, I was very happy he had a good game on Friday. I was one of the ones who wanted Sargent to start and was not expecting that performance from Gyasi.

23. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll avoid the really obvious joke, because the guy had a good game Friday!:)

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He may look like a Skunk but he's OUR Skunk.