Game 19: RSL hosts Orlando 7:30PM MT ESPN

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Boz, Jun 28, 2017.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team is bad. The FO is delusional when they act like this isn't '05-'07 levels of bad.

Even in rough patches in prior years, it was still easy to want to go or watch the game. Now, it's incredibly difficult to even want to turn the tv on for it. When you already know the result, what's the point? This team needs a massive overhaul.

pcny repped this.
  2. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seriously don't even know why I bother tuning into games anymore, there quite literally is zero reason to watch this team right now. If you put aside the fact that we are RSL fans and just judge this team from an entertainment perspective...there is none. Being so bad has allowed me to just watch these games and try not to be emotional, but rather objectively judge this team as much as I can and there is quite honestly no entertainment value at all. They aren't just bad, they are sooooo boring, there are no "edge of your seat" moments in these games, there's nothing that makes me want to pop up to my feet in anticipation, there's no dynamic movements that make me lean forward, I seriously spend all 90 minutes just sitting back, reclined or with my legs up shaking my head at how piss poor they are. Outside of the shanked Silva attempt 10 yards out there were no moments of development that lead to a highly anticipated shot. The two free kicks 20-25 yards out later in the game were the only other times there was any real anticipation for a potential goal. The rest was just pure garbage and the Petke facepalm after the Beckerman retaliation said it all.

15 to 32, TheBiff, Lizzie Bee and 6 others repped this.
  3. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically the rest of my summer is going to be spent outdoors or working so I don't really anticipate planning on watching any games until probably late September. Unless I happen to have quite literally nothing else to do or maybe I'm sick and can't get out I won't make any effort to tune in. I'm on call through next weekend and then after that I'll probably spend the rest of my summer weekends out and about. I can't ever recall in the 12 years of watching RSL where I just had no desire to make any effort to follow the team, even in the horrid years of 2005-2007 there was at least some novelty or entertainment value, not so with this team anymore.

4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I think teams have had a chance to see Brooks, look at his film, and know how to defend him now

5. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only real consequence of the retaliation was killing precious time.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Petke's postgame comments extend beyond "It was hot garbage" then he went on too long.

I mentioned it above, but I want to say again that not rewarding our goal scorer from last week with a place in the 18 is disappointing.

goobx1, TheBiff and pcny repped this.
  7. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    This team has bad juju.

Remember that epidode of M*A*S*H where they brought in a local priestess to chase away the bad spirits out of the O.R.? Margaret loved what she was wearing but Klinger thought it was too gaudy?

We need that.

8. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you could define the current state of the team any better than this. The sting I felt as I read this was the spirit of Embratsu telling me it's true.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was honest. He said that this is going to take time and that he's not panicking because that's generally understood. He referenced talking to Jason in the tunnel and Jason telling him it took a year and a half for him to get the ship turned around.and heading in the right direction.

Allez RSL repped this.
  10. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    They've stunk so bad, that I've had to move out of state.* True story...I'm now a fellow Washingtonian with Ismitje. Maybe I can see a winning team in the Puget Sound area or hoof it a couple hours down the road to Hipsterland. I still won't really root for the Flounders though.

*Actually a new job, but it sounds more dramatic if I say the stink from Rio Tinto chased me off.

Allez RSL and goobx1 repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I go to a Seattle game, I wear this:

[​IMG]

Nigeria WC2014 jersey, which is mostly the right color and so I can root without rooting, as it were.

Boz repped this.
  12. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wish this was the light at the end of the tunnel. Problem is, Garth was a large part of that rebuild. Unless we replace Weibel with someone far better, I just don't see this turning around. I'm still upset at the organization for keeping Cassar. The writing was on the wall on every season that was 'his vision'. He nearly coasted to an MLS Cup by keeping everything Kreis. He's been completely terrible ever since he built the team in his image. How the FO didn't see that is beyond me. To keep him around and fire him after 3 games is a disservice to whoever they planned to bring in (Petke). Had they actually fired Cassar at the end of the season, this team could've been completely different. Hell, we may have had a different coach as well, since there would've been time to try and bring someone over. It's insane to think you'd keep a coach on that you had so little faith with, that 3 games was enough to get fired.

While we can't get rid of DLH, I really hope this season is a real eye opener. We kept a coach for far too long. We fired him at the absolute worst time. How Weibel still has a job is beyond me. By the offseason, there better be a massive clear out. Outside of a few of the younger players and Mulholland, I honestly can't think of any player worth keeping. And honestly, I wouldn't be upset if we got rid of some/most of the young players as well. This team needs a massive rebuild, and I honestly don't think Weibel is willing to do it.

pcny and The Franchise repped this.
  13. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey @GoRSL, that stinks! I will miss seeing you at games and events. It's always been a pleasure.

@UPinSLC, I hate to say it, but you're right: this team isn't interesting or fun or entertaining right now. My fierce loyal side keeps me watching games, but I can barely remember the days when I actually got emotionally invested during a match.

@DrownedElf thank you for the ticket offer! I wish I'd been able to take you up on that. I ended up not feeling well, watching from my couch, and being dead asleep by 10:15.

Everyone else: how did my friend do announcing the game?

14. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Well there are teams that spend the money on quality players and are making it the first year-Atlantic. The FO needs to be smarter in paying players a lot of money before accomplishing much- Yura. Also need more and better recruiters for around the world. Also if an area wants to promote their city they hire a marketing firm to make a video showing all the great things utah has to offer. Most foreigners do not know the great things this area has to offer.

15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could add in Plata as well. He was made a young DP after just a single good season. Although I do believe we bought that down and he's no longer a DP. If we're going to spend the extra cash on a player, they need to be established and worth the fee. Not someone who had a good season, so we jumped the gun to pay them more.

The Franchise repped this.
  16. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The one thing abt Yura...if you look at his career, he basically scores about every third game. The year we won the Cup, that 10-10-10 season, he had I think 8 goals over 26 gp. He left and at Randers he was almost scoring every other game (but I think MLS>Danish League) and then at Krasnodar same thing. But after a stellar first year, he tapered off at Spartak, back to scoring about every third game. So he had a great run for the four years after leaving RSL, but now has reverted to his previous scoring pace. So we had him during his rise, missed his peak, and now have him as he is declining. Probably a bad DP choice. Particularly with what appears to be a bad attitude. This was a "family" signing...similar to signing Olave after his time at NYRB.

Compare with Sabo--who we signed and had during his peak, scoring essentially better than every other game for us. While Yura was with us when we won the Cup, Sabo was with us in really our glory years.

Allez RSL, RSLer and Ismitje repped this.
  17. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado won today and we are officially the worst team in MLS! Ya!

rslfanboy and Allez RSL repped this.
  18. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1! #1!

RSLer repped this.
  19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We ripped away that albatross of being a perennial runner-up.

jessyca and The Franchise repped this.
  20. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is just a little more to accomplish; the team is only second worst in goals scored and allowed.

RSLer repped this.
  21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I didn't realize this. It's something to play for. A reason to watch. I think we have a very good shot at the treble!

Lizzie Bee and goobx1 repped this.
  22. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Bring on those allocation $$$$'s. Waibel needs more wingers!

23. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I will say that I will shamelessly have to copy this idea.

I didn't see it before but one of the (famous) local breweries released this gem...with the wrong name, as it's clearly Embratsu Ale.

[​IMG]

BalanceUT, RSLer, Ismitje and 1 other person repped this.
  24. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A brewery for all the hipsters who will drink bathwater if you call it "artisan".

And for this to be truely Embrasu Ale, it has to be made of unicorn piss.