Alert: Future Korea NT Manager : Sergio Farias

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Koreano, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This is a thread to follow Farias' career in Korea and until he becomes the manager of KNT for Brazil 2014, as much as I am a follower of Farias ever since he knocked out Seongnam and his nemesis Hakbumson in the inaugural play off season back in '07 to eventually winning it all, he has since then gained my respect (even though I am a nobody :D) Without great players in his squad he has slowly built up his team Pohang into a team that on their best day beat any opposition. He has instilled great attacking mindset and have made this team such a beautiful team to look at. You can say the perfect balance of Brazilian techincal ability combined with that of tough physicality of the Korean game. He is such an under-rated manager in K-League because of his efforts he puts into analyzing his team and most importantly the opponents he faces domestically and internationally. What's more he is such a class act very difficult to find in today's football, being too humble at times but saying things that must be said with confidence. For example, on the night before the AFC finals against Ittihad, the opposing manager Calderon said something along the lines of : "I will make Pohang realize their mistakes in tomorrow's match and make them pay for it", while Farias responded as saying : "The formation I put out tomorrow is for Mr. Calderon to worry about".

This is his interview which I translated into English for those who don't speak Korean posted on Nate and other portal sites.

Part 1: Farias: "It's not that I don't like star players, however Ki Sung-yong tempts me"

Nobody has expected Farias who showed up 5 years ago in the K-League would get silverwares. A side that had nothing but past glory could never had people dream of Pohang winning the Champions League in which he did it with successful reconstruction of the club. He had geared Pohang into the Champions of K-League in only his 3rd year as manager meanwhile slowly filling up the trophy cabinet by adding the FA cup, League cup and finally the asian continental title thus far. This meant that he has won everything a K-League manager can win. Now we listen to the words of a man who is on his way of getting the the double (ACL done) and K-League title and how he is going to get it.

[​IMG]

Nate.com: I think it wouldn't be wrong to put this year's success as the most successful year ever since you've touched down in Korea 5 years go. Also, it wouldn't be wrong to feel tired mentally and physically but at least it's paying off big.

Farias: Yes I admit this year it has particularly been a busy and tired year. However, it was imperative to put all that aside to finish the year on a high note. It was also challenging and difficult to manage players whose contracts expire by the end of this season to keep them on their toes. I don't think it's an easy job to manage players overall and mentally get them prepared for next year's season.

Nate.com: I think it's safe to say that your team have slowly gained in strength towards the end of the season to have performed so well thus far. What can you tell us in what aspect have you seen the biggest improvement when comparing from the start of the season?

Farias: The rotation system has been put in place nicely. I have been putting a lot of effort to maintain all our player's match fitness by evenly balancing and rotating the players and this has probably labelled our team to be strong as we have been gaining good results. Before that I also have to mention the fact that our team has become younger and this has also played a role. As it is apparent that younger players seem to take less impact on fatigue generally than older players and that's probably why we could maintain such good form.

It's equally important to manage the right balance between resting and training. We are participating in many tournaments and matches so I can't explain the details as it would be too long (haha), anyway the point is how to get the players in the best condition for every match to get them to perform to their max would be the most important aspect. We need to monitor the players condition persistently and allow time for regeneration by resting them when needed. Our team's focus is to get our players geared up to the best condition towards the end of the season rather than the beginning and that's how we're managing the squad here at Pohang because that's when results become most important.

Nate.com: In reality many players at Pohang think the relaxed training atmosphere at Pohang is the key reason that helps them perform good in matches. Relaxed here means you probably spend less time and less rigorous training compared to other K-League clubs, I've heard that you have your own philosophy on that?

Farias: We have been participating in 4 different tournaments the whole year. That means we must play in many matches. I can't kill the players on the training ground if they were to play this many matches can I? That's why I give them enough time to rest. I guess this approach isn't any different to any other team in K-League who are vying for the championship towards the end of the season.

Nate.com: I have heard that you like using the 4-back system, and I remember you saying until last season you didn't have the resources to use the 4-back system. This year you have been actively using the 4-back system, can you tell us the reason and if confidence played a role to use it?

Farias: We have had an increase in players who are able to play in different positions. That's why we could try to change things around. This means during a match it made it a whole lot easier to implement game tactic changes. To the fact that even our defenders can play as attackers although very seldomly.

I always answer this everytime with the same answer when regarding to formations and tactics. Just because I prefer the 4-4-2 system doesn't mean I can implement this 4-4-2 system against every opposition. The reason why I used the 3-5-2 till now was because I didn't have players who could fit in the 4-back system. It's not only about formations or strategy, the most important thing is to find the best system that fits this team according to the available resources. Additionally just because a particular system doesn't work on a team provided that resources are available, it doesn't mean you should scrap that and try something new again because I believe it's the manager's responsibility to complete it and make sure the system will work in the end.

Nate.com: Provided that systems are nothing less than "numbers" I guess the most important question would be whether it's 3-back or 4-back is how the players move according to the formation.

Farias: A good team is a team that has balance in all aspects. If you're only looking at the league table you can say that we have the fewest defeats in the league (only 3). Statisticaly speaking you can add to say that our defensive system is the best. However, if you look at it the other way around and count the number of wins(14) we are third on the league table. And I think this is where the difference comes into place. Given the current circumstances I believe we have the ability to make it to the league finals. If you go further well we can even end up being champions. However, I believe to be acknowledged to be the truely best we still lack in many aspects. I think the best team who has the best balance in the league goes to FC Seoul. The only weakness they have is the inconsistency they have shown during the middle of the season.

Random fan: In your opinion what is the current problem do you see in the K-League and what needs to be improved in the future? Can you tell me in details?

Farias: It must be changed but the things that aren't changing are mostly the adminstrative aspects. I don't understand because they can just modify it and there are many reasons to support the change but it's not being done for some reason. One good example would be every month each clubs have to list the entry squad to the organization and on top of that in every league in the world every team can name 18 players, but in K-League only 17 players are eligible to be named. They say is for the purpose of saving the budget of the club, but can you ask yourself if 1 player can really help alleviate the financial circumstances for a club and how much it would benefit? Also according to FIFA rules, a club is allowed for one person to give tactical instructions from the technical area, but in the K-League they just tell me to just come inside. Changes in world football on standards should be followed closely but it's not the case.

[​IMG]

Nate.com: It feels like your tactical ability is getting upgraded season after season. Is it because you study world leagues separately during off-season or is it because youre now reaping the benefits of persistently sticking with your favored system after so many years?

Farias: I am flattered if you say that if it is indeed an upgrade but I totally forget about football when the season is over. I have been listening to football stories in my house growing up ever since I was a child. I started my managerial career early as well. It's been 22 years so that's not a short period of time. Since I live and breathe football all the time, I don't study it separately during off-season. I told you earlier in the interview, the reason why we're getting stronger is because when it's time to rest, we really rest? It's like you're charging a well used battery fully again.

But this exists though. I do learn things while working here in Korea. Learning from domestic coaches here in Korea, or even learning by analyzing other teams here. I see and realize other team's mistakes as well. The best part is you don't have to experience failure to your own team by observing other team's and manager's mistakes.

Random Fan: If there were no roadblocks for you and your team, who is the domestic player you would love to bring at Pohang?

Farias: FC Seoul's Ki Sung-yong. He has great skills and his finishing is good. He has a broad vision and what's more he's so young and he has great potential ahead of him and that would be the temptation.

Random Fan: It's strange to see little to no players on the KNT from Pohang despite the fact that your players are performing exceptionally well. Is it because you don't like having star players in your team? Or is it because your players are rather under-rated?

Farias: That's an interesting question. I always welcome good players and it's not that I dislike star players. However, it's just the case that we don't have the finances (haha). In another aspect, I also feel that Pohang players are being under-rated by professionals in this country. For me, Pohang players are competitive and we are a competitive team.

Nate.com: You have now achieved all the silverware that any manager in the domestic scene can get their hands on. Do you have other great goals or objectives? Perhaps being the champions of the world in Abu Dhabi later this year?

Farias: Oh right, that one! You might say after winning the FIFA CWC there is nothing else to achieve, but I say why not make a new tournament? People always talk about past glories and rest on their laurels. They never think they can do other things (haha)

Football managers are always pressured into getting immediate results. We just were crowned champions of asia, and if they as me to try the CWC cup, then I must abide. (haha) For now I think our players need to take it step at a time. (question: haha you know what I don't think that's a problem for your team as you are in excellent condition) Well I have thought like that in the past and I have been impatient before. But the K-League and AFCCL is also happening next year too. For now the only thing I can say my goal is for this team to always appear on the continental stage in asia. The Champions league is a very important tournament for both my players and the club for them to grow.

END OF PART 1.... Part 2 to follow later when Farias talks about his interest in taking over the helm of the Taegeuk Warriors!!!!

Original transcript: http://news.nate.com/view/20091118n03573?mid=s1000

2. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    yea, i would vote yay for coach farias.

give coach huh his due after wc2010. depending on the results of the tournament, then i'll be happy if farias gets a chance to coach our national team.

3. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Part 2: "The player I would like to naturalize to Korea would be Kaka"

[​IMG]

Nate.com: It's been 5 years since living in Korea. I guess your son and daughter can perhaps speak a little Korean?

Farias: My son's better at Korean. My son is more active and extroverted and play with other Korean kids so I think he naturally picks it up from his friends. My daughter mostly spends her time at home and plus she's more introverted and shy so her Korean is not as good as my son's. Only me in my family can't speak Korean. (question: Don't you have the desire to learn the language?) Football is already overwhelming me here and can't do the basic stuffs and I unfortunately don't have the time to assimilate the language. I'm not lying but aside from the time I work in the club, even in my spare time I think about football. I have to check the football news, check out other games I missed, and even have to imagine a lot of things related to football. Honestly I admit the language issue is indeed a barrier. An invisible wall that prevents my players to approach me. Sometimes, when I observe some players on my team with great personality I do feel 'yeah, it wouldn't be bad to have a simple chit chat with them'. Players such as Noh Byung-jun, Kim Jae-sung and Kim Myung-joog would make great friends. haha but you know what if they could speak portuguese I would be ashamed.

Random Fan: I am a member of the Metromarines support group. Recently ever since you have brought your son to the pre/post media conferences it has been somewhat of a fad in the team and now even players are starting to follow you by bringing in their kids as well. Was this an intentional thing? I'm just curious what your intentions and purposes were to bring your son as it's such a lovely sight to watch.

Farias: In our team we have freedom. It's because of that, our players are like that. In a way, what I'm doing now as a manager is for my family and the same applies to our players. My son always comes inside the stadium after every match, and while I think about it, I have been doing the same thing myself growing up as a child for my dad. I don't think it's a problem to share the joy and the happiness together with your family.

Random Fan: Brazilians can be described as very optimistic, cheerful and passionate people in general. But your image is more like a person coming from northern europe because you're aura is so calm.

Farias: I think you have got it spot on there. I think this is why I could adjust to asia pretty quickly. (question: Was your personality now influenced by your surroundings or different culture perhaps?) No it wasn't like that. Just because I'm a calm person doesn't mean I am a cold person. I do think I am a bit cold but when I play I enjoy playing and when I laugh I laugh like crazy. (question: yeah like when I see you celebrating after Pohang scores, is that the passion you're talking about?) Yeah exactly hahaha.

[​IMG]

Random Fan: Which Korean dish suits your taste?

Farias: I usually like almost all actually. I even miss the Korean food when I'm back to Brazil during the off-season. The answer to my favorite Korean dish is always different everytime I get asked this question. Right now I feel like Bul kalbi, Kamja tang, haha

Random Fan: It's wellknown that you have coached Ronaldinho during the youth days at the U-20 squad. What impression did Ronaldinho give you at that time? Also I would like to know which other famous Brazilians you coached haha

Farias: He was a great footballer ever since he was a young boy. At that time his father passed away and his elder brother was taking care of the family. For a person who had almost no family education, he was impressively polite and sincere. Except for him well, let's see the other Brazilians Korean fans would know who I coached are Fábio Aurélio Rodrigues in liverpool, Lucio at Inter, Robinho at City and Diego at Juventus. I have coached Robinho and Diego during my U-20 tenure while Diego now I think is listed as one of the candidates for FIFA player of the year?

Random Fan: Second question. You have coached both Korean and Brazilian players. What do you think are the key differences and their respective pros and cons, especially what is lacking on Korean players?

Farias: Let me start off by saying the positive aspects first. Brazilian players are creative, while Korean players are sincere. Brazilians are creative but off the field they tend to be irresponsible. On the other hand, Korean players are sincere but at the heat of the moment they don't have the necessary confident. In Pohang we have already mostly eliminated that aspect.

[​IMG]

Random Fan: My last question. A lot of Korean football fans are calling for you to become the next Korean National Team manager to lead us to the next world cup. On one hand, some people say that your football philosophy and style needs time for it to fully integrate into the team, but for a NT post, time is not a luxury because of the limited time you spend with the players. How confident are you in leading the Korean national team and how fast do you think you can complete the team?

Farias: I believe a player in the national team pre-requisite is not only to kick a ball well, but also he must possess quick mind, the ability to understand what the coach wants quickly. The individual must also transfer what he understands quickly into action. That's the main difference of what is needed for a club than for an NT. You might say my type of football is a type where you need time to fully bear fruit, but when I first came to Pohang I had to lead this team in 10 days to the A3 championship in which we came second. That was a time I didn't know my players not very well. If I really do become the next manager of Korea, I would think I would know the players much better than time time no? haha because I don't have a SINGLE player that I don't know who plays in K-league haha

Random Fan: In your eyes, who would best suit the Korean national team amongst the Brazilian players, and who would you love to naturalize haha, Kaka? Cesar? Maicon?

Farias: Luis Fabiano, we need a player who can finish. Kaka, because he has many advantages as a midfielder. These players are really needed in the Korean National team.

Random Fan: Which Brazilian national team was the most formidable one in your opinion?

Farias: The 2002 WC squad led by Scolari was the most competitive squad to date. The most beautiful team to watch was probably the 1982 squad in Spain WC.

Random Fan: If Pohang played in the Brazilian league, how do you think they woud fare?

Farias: It would be tough for Pohang to be considered top tier but I wouldn't put them in the bottom neither. I think there are many quality sides in the Brazilian League.

Random Fan: In your opinion who is the best manager in the world and who is the best player in the world right now?

Farias: I like Mourinho, but more than Mourinho I think Anceloti is a more complete manager. Mourinho likes to work on the offensive end, but Anceloti stresses team balance more. As for players, it's hard to pick one because they're more or less the same. Personally I like Messi and Rooney however I don't feel like they have developed to their potential. Cron is also a great player but he's not head and shoulders above the other neither.

Original Transcript: http://news.nate.com/view/20091119n03262?mid=s1001

4. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Good job with the translation!

5. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yeah really awesome Koreano....way better than E's attempts...haha

glad he think Cron is overrated too. LOL

6. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Dude, I wasn't translating back then - I was summarizing.

7. Ganahal

Ganahal New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Koreano if i can giv u 1000 rep i woud

i cant wait farias coach KNT, its our nexstep

8. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    you the man. next time you drink beer, pretend i bought it for you.

9. kimchipride

kimchipride Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Aug 22, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah rep for Koreano. He supplies us with girls and awesome translations like these.

10. salesman

salesman Member

May 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    LOL. the man he wants to naturalize the most is Kaka.
    who wouldn't.
    if I could I'd even give up PJS to see a player like Gerrard or Torres wearing the Korean red.
    no offense, mates.:)

11. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie Moderator
    Staff Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Whenever I look at the Pohang team nowadays, I feel a sense of hope. I don't feel this way when I look at the other K-League teams.

12. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Excellent stuff Koreano. Thanks for sharing.
    Yes, he is the man to lead us forward.

13. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To think about it, its kinda uncool that these talks are even taking place right now with Huh as the current manager.

It seems like he cant get any respect. I feel bad for the guy.

14. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You're right K.. but to be honest, if you take a look at how Jeonnam played under Huh and how Pohang play under Farias, it's almost inevitable.

I would rate Hakbumson >>>>>>>>> Huh Jung-moo

15. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Great effort Koreano.

I'd also take Farias over anybody on any given day. He is not only an excellent tactician but a great character.

That being said, I actually respect what Huh has done since he succeeded Pim Veerbeck. He is exceeding my expectation on him though I am nobody like Koreano. lolol.

16. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  17. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I opened this thread expecting a link to an article with an official announcement, lol.

heyheyhe11 and shinović89 repped this.
  18. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    yeah me too. don't tease me like this. my heart was racing as scrolled down this thread.

19. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. komina12345

komina12345 Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Didn't this guy pretty much ditch Pohang for money in the desert? I wouldn't want someone like that managing the team.