FSU Politics/Current Events V

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Real Corona, Mar 7, 2011.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I'm not being dense at all. The reason FIFA is in this mess is precisely because they ran themselves above the government policies of any country. Unless you actually think the Western countries wanted the World Cup in Qatar? Please. UEFA doesn't run FIFA, and UEFA's individual countries don't run their football federations from a political standpoint. And this isn't me being naive, either - it's just the historical record. FIFA and UEFA have basically been allowed to operate with impunity until absolutely taken to court (see: Bosman).

Real Corona repped this.
  2. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I never said UEFA runs FIFA, but you have to realize that it was the extreme displeasure of the UEFA that was the last straw that broke camel's (Blatter's) back. Nor have I said that the countries' governments run UEFA. IN fact, that would be illegal and would lead the country's federation to be excluded from both UEFA and FIFA. Come on dude, READ my posts before answering to them.

UEFA may actually be almost as powerful in the world of football (and politics) as FIFA is.

3. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I've read your posts, and UEFA's displeasure with Blatter isn't geopolitical, so I have no idea what you're banging on about.

4. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    And I never said it was. READ my posts before answering them.

5. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    So you want UEFA to take the WC away from Russia as a political statement, yet you don't think UEFA is political.

Got it. Makes sense. Churches in Botswanna.

Real Corona repped this.
  6. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I DO think UEFA is political. So is FIFA, FIBA, IIHF, or any other athletic organization. They are VERY ACTIVE in politics. But UEFA's displeasure with Blatter IS NOT. It just happens to be a perfect example of UEFA's influence on FIFA. It really is so easy! Dude, think!

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    If UEFA is political, why were they at the forefront of awarding the World Cup to Qatar? If they're political, why were they taking huge bribes for Russia?

They're not political - they want to stay out of politics as much as possible. They just want the bribes. They're not very active in politics. At all. The idea of UEFA, the same organization that has had multiple high ranking members who have received paintings from Putin is highly political is laughable. I doubt members of the State Department get random Picassos when they pop in for a visit to Moscow.

So yeah, dude, think.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in Botswana and ..... Okay I got nothing just want to brag I'm in Botswana.

yasik19 repped this.
  9. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    How does the UEFA being political contradict the awarding of Qatar a WC? Start making sense! Besides, UEFA were not really the driving force behind the Qatar award. Asia and Africa confederations were.

And, yes, UEFA does involve itself in politics quite a bit, the racism thing, the government intervention thing, many other outlets, so you are squarely wrong.

That is why you need to think before you post.

10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Why?

11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Don't get eaten by a lion!

Jesus Christ.

1. Qatar is a country with human rights abuses, a repressive regime and migrant worker death problems. And yet, they were awarded a World Cup. You now, want FIFA to make a political statement about Russia, despite the fact that they just awarded a country with serious human rights issues (like Russia) the World Cup. If they were politically active, in the manner you want them to be (i.e., making political statements about invasions/oppression), their award of the World Cup to Qatar is the EXACT OPPOSITE of that. Literally. (And yes, the literal meaning of the word.)
    2. UEFA were, in fact, the driving force behind Qatar - Platini has huge Qatari links, while multiple UEFA officials have been investigated for bribes in connection with that award, including German and Belgian ones. If anything, Blatter supposedly was in favor of the US, while Platini has been championing Qatar; his son is the chief of a Qatari sportswear line and he's easing FFP to help the Gulf shekihs.
    3. You really, really don't understand "involve itself in politics". I mean, seriously, I'm not sure you literally understand those words. UEFA's anti-racism campaign isn't "politics", because they're not taking a governmental stance, merely an internal policing one. It'd be the same as implying that the NFL is political because they suspended Michael Vick for dogfighting or Ray Rice for knocking his wife out cold. Those aren't geopolitical issues. You want them to deal with geopolitical issues.
    As far as government intervention - the whole point of that position is that it is APOLITICAL. UEFA's stance is, we do not want any, ANY, political interference with football of footballing associations by governments. And you look at that and say "see, they're political".
    What.
    The.

The whole point of FIFA and UEFA's position is that they do not want politics affecting them. That's why the awards went to whom they did - Russia wasn't exactly the world's darling when it was given the WC. So the idea that UEFA, which is headed by "I got a free Picasso from Putin", Michel Platini, is going to take a political stance is crazy. Especially since their position is "we don't want national governments affecting those decisions".

So, doctor, heal thyself.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking for lions to dance with.

13. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    That's Broadway.

14. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    That's how Game of Thrones Special effects editor was mauled. Keep the windows closed....I'd hate to look for another moderator...it's a real hassle.

15. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    So, what? Your argument is weak! You are arguing that because UEFA has chosen not to make a big stink about Qatar means they do not have political clout. That is a false argument. UEFA did not argue too much because they had other interests.

And several UEFA members, most vocally - the English and other Brits were clearly against it. So were some others.

And, once again, you fail to understand what politics mean. They include the anti-racist campaigns and anti-government interference. Also, UEFA makes a big stink about the political environment of various destination where tournaments are held. Literally, ALL THE TIME!.

Are you comparing dogfighting and racism? Really, Come on, I had better expectations of you!
    And the geopolitical issues do not occur in vacuum. If I am representing an FA from the country with strong feelings about Russian politics, I will make mind known through my votes, speeches and policies I support. Most FAs are extensions of their country's political environment.

Dude, this really is simple, I do not know what is tripping you up. A lot of UEFA members had voted against giving Russia the WC and a lot of UEFA members still harbor these beliefs. And they are sculpted by the politics of their own countries. Dude, you're lost in the fog somewhere.

16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Are you trying to win the trophy for the dumbest posts on the internet? A lot of UEFA members also voted against giving the US the WC. What beliefs do they harbor? That they prefer someone else get it. Just because someone voted against Russia, doesn't mean they did it because they think Putin is bad. That they are sculpted by the politics of their own countries doesn't mean the organization itself is political! I work for a huge global firm, where the views of employees is generally very liberal and is shaped by the origins of those employees. Guess what - we're completely and totally apolitical as an organization. And we represent some people that, I assure you, not everyone here agreed with as far as their politics.

Because we're not a political organization. Like FIFA. Like UEFA. We just take fewer bribes.

17. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    That is precisely why of them did not choose Russia. The UEFA is clearly a political organization, the issues they participate in are very political and they carry a huge political clout.

I do not understand why you're tripping yourself up here. This is obvious!

18. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    And you have proof this.........where?

19. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Just applying the same level of confidence as you did with your suggestion to the otherwise

Remember this:

It's conjecture, of course, but is yours any better than mine?

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    No, because I have, you know, these what do you call them, glues? No, wait, that's not right, what is it again.....oh yeah, clues. Like the painting Platini got from Putin, or the painting Hooghe got from Putin (pssst - they're both European), or the fact that despite these people informed by their culture they not only gave a World Cup to Russia, but also to Qatar, and are now embroiled in a massive scandal that may see some of them go to prison. Which scandal includes.........bribes about who gets to host the World Cup!

So we either take your completely and utterly baseless guessing or we take the facts in evidence as to the basic venality of the Europeans in FIFA plus the fact that FIFA repeatedly and constantly tries to make sure that politics stay out of the process. Explicitly. And then gave a World Cup to a repressive regime in the Middle East, a decision many in UEFA made and one that Platini has explicitly admitted to making: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/05/michel-platini-conspirators-2022-world-cup-bid-uefa.

Or is Platini not European enough?

But hey, the alternative is simply to assume, based on zero evidence at all that UEFA is politically motivated. Despite, again, absolutely zero evidence to the contrary.

So how about them churches in Botswanna!

21. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    You do realize that the voting for the WC was done by a secret ballot? So, when you say that "Like the painting Platini got from Putin, or the painting Hooghe got from Putin (pssst - they're both European), or the fact that despite these people informed by their culture they not only gave a World Cup to Russia, but also to Qatar", you really don't know WHO gave the WC to Qatar and we do know that some Asian and African members were bribed to get that done, so, most likely, THEIR votes were needed to give Russia and Qatar the WCs.

And do not keep repeating that UEFA and FIFA are corrupt, not a single of my posts denied that.

22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    And then there are the people who openly admitted to voting for Qatar.

23. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_2022_FIFA_World_Cup_bid

"Trinidad and Tobago's Jack Warner demanded $4 million for an education center in his country and Paraguay's Nicolás Léoz asked for an honorary knighthood in exchange for their votes. Also, two Sunday Times reporters testified that they had been told that Jacques Anouma of the Ivory Coast and Issa Hayatou of Cameroon were each paid $1.5 million to support Qatar's bid for the tournament."

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait really???

A woman was killed near Joburg for being stupid with lions.

25. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    That post is literally equivalent to a pic of a rabbit with a pancake on its head.