NSR: FSU Basketball Thread: NBA, Euroleague, Internationals, Domestic leagues.

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by LokomotivZee, Feb 8, 2010.

1. LokomotivZee

LokomotivZee Member

Aug 28, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To get this out of the games thread.

Petrovic was taken away far too soon. His talent is recognized, though. He is a Hall of Famer. He also opened the floodgates for European talent to the NBA.

2. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    The NBA is a joke right now. I watch college ball over that crap any day. I also watch old games on NBAtv, just seeing the old All-Star games you get a feel for how competitive those guys were. They loved to test themselves against their peers, not like most of these scrubs now. The level of play in the league is atrocious. I hate LeBron's game, he's just all brute force. Its crazy how well he moves for how big he is, but I'd much rather watch Kobe and Flash. Not much you can take away from LeBron's game to use for yourself.

btw, I found a program guide from my AAU National Championship from 1997 a few weeks ago. I decided to look at the team rosters to find some kids who made it big. LeBron, Acie Law, Drew Nitzel and Michael & Cedric Griffin were at this tournament with me. Pretty funny seeing LeBron's pic as a goofy 12 yr old :D

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Went to my cousin's junior high basketball game when I was younger. There was a huge black guy who was awesome. It was Drew Gooden at 13.

4. LokomotivZee

LokomotivZee Member

Aug 28, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right about not being able to imitate LeBron's game. He is a physical freak, and his game revolves around it.

The NBA still has the highest level of play in the club world, the problem is the massive playoffs lead teams to loaf until the Playoffs start. I too like the college game more, because they play defense every game (which was the best facet of my game), and the fan intensity is much higher game to game.

5. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I grew up idolizing the Laker teams of the late 70s and early 80s, watching them battle the Celtics and the Sixers, although I think the best final series I ever saw was the 78 final between the Sonics and the Bullets; I was crushed when the Sonics lost in game 7, was glad to see them get their revenge the following season. My favorite players of the era were not the usual suspects - I liked Jamaal Wilkes and his goofy wind up J, Kurt Rambis and his Clark Kents, Billy "The Whopper" Paultz and probably my favorite player of all time, Michael Cooper. I agree with you, today's NBA is nowhere near the glory years of the 70s and 80s, when the NBA was the best run league in the world and basketball could legitimately claim to be another "world " game like soccer. But, I think it is coming around, bit by bit. The USA taking more interest in FIBA WCs and the Olympics after some positively embarrassing results was a big step in the right direction, and I think a good wakeup call for the league, the owners and the players - seeing selfish players like AI and Marbury fall by the wayside (when they still have game) as teams start to realize that a Jordan, a Russell, or a Chamberlain only comes along only once in a while and that basketball is and has always been the ultimate team game.

And I don't think that one cannot be a fan of both the NBA and the NCAA game - for my money, March Madness is the best run, most exciting sports tournament in the world, and that includes the FIFA WC and UEFA Championships. I love watching the college teams playing knockdown drag out defense, and I love the fact the one can watch a wide open run & gun ACC or SEC game and then tune into a Big Ten game a little later where stifling D and perfect execution of the half court game is emphasized. But, even though the NBA is in many respects a very different game than the NCAA level, the simply amazing athletes in the NBA and what they can do both on an individual and team level, well, that's hardly crap IMO.

The local team is bad, but they've got a good base of young players, a sh#tload of #1 picks next year (theirs and 2 others) and all kinds of cap space - I like what David Kahn is doing as a GM, and I like the way Rambis is teaching his kids how to play the right way - Johnny Flynn reminds me of the next version of Kevin Johnson, trading to get Kevin Love for OJ Mayo proved to be a steal last year, and Rambis has completely helped Corey Brewer turn his game around, he looks like he did when he was the most dominant swingman at the college level when he won those two titles at Florida - a shut down defender who has rediscovered his 18-20 foot jumper, who runs the floor with abandon and has put away some truly massive dunks on the break this year.

The record might not show it, but the "fun" is back in the local NBA team, and I for one am damn glad it is back.

6. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I'd like collge ball if I had an allumn but the difference in skill is too much for me.

7. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although you missed the great Lou Doo years, (the best 4 hairdos in the country used to reside in the B10, with Lou Henson, Gene Keady, Dr. Tom Davis of Iowa, and the legendary Judd Heathcoate of Michigan State, and I still miss watching both Heathcoate and Keady completely mangle their doos (or lack thereof) during games) that Illini program has been top notch for quite some time in the B10, and probably has consistently played a closer version of the pro game over the past 2 decades than any other team in the conference. And FWIW, it is never too late to start working on that "alumni" status, Dima.

Honestly, I don't know how anybody cannot like college hoops. So much history, so many legends of the game, rich with tradition and never a dull moment.

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Wait, you like what David Kahn is doing - he used the 5 and 6 picks to draft one point guard whom he couldn't keep in the country and another point guard who looks set to be a Bobby Jackson look alike? :eek::eek:
    I also wouldn't call Love for Mayo a "steal" - they're pretty even players, and while Mayo will never be a superstar, Love doesn't play good defense or mesh well with Al Jefferson.
    Also, are you talking about the same Corey Brewer that's shooting under 70% from the line?

9. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    College sports remind of soccer in this regard. It feels much less fake and corny when compared to the pro leagues.

10. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, YOUR street cred just took a hit...

You should have seen enough of Flynn at Syracuse to know that his game is nothing like Bobby Jackson's game - Jackson was never a pure PG, not at the University of Minnesota (Eric Harris played the point at UMN when Jackson was there), not in the NBA. Having said that, he was a pretty serviceable shooting guard who could drive to the basket for quite a few years in the league. I'm surprised you'd even compare the two. Pure PGs that make it in the NBA are a rare commodity, and although the Rubio reach may have turned out to be just that (seeing as he can't seem to get into the starting 5 at Barcelona) I'm fine with Kahn taking a chance to get one serviceable PG and retain the other as a tradable commodity...the Knicks are still slobbering all over Rubio, Kahn could call them tomorrow and clean them out of picks the next 2 years by dangling RR if he was so inclined.

Love's defense - WTF are you talking about? Hollinger at ESPN has him in his top 15 http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holl...//insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/rankings- his defense is fine, and certainly a lot better than your average 4 in the NBA. He lacks footspeed, but his positioning and court instincts make up for it in spades - he's a double-double machine, and I'll take that over Mayo's streaky and selfish game any day of the week. And he and Jefferson mesh just fine - the problem is that they play the same position, Al is not a center, where he has to play when Love is in the game; I'm not convinced that Kahn won't dangle Al for a boatload from some team that needs a low post presence/scoring machine, and really that is probably the right move for a rebuilding team.

Brewer is in the running for most improved player of the year. Sorry nice, but I'm officially calling bullsh#t on you - it is clear that you have't watched any of either Flynn, Brewer or Love this year, based on your comments.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More passion in the stands because there is a stronger connection between American students and their schools than ordinary citizens and their local sports team, much like European soccer clubs. College sports are also much older than professional sports, football and basketball anyway.

12. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    And they don't have ridiculously corny teams like the Jacksonville Jaguars.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't diss the Fighting Banana slugs!!

I had the chance to visit the city of Santa Cruz a few times when I was stationed in Monterey, right about the time the film "Lost Boys" came out, which of course is based on the wierdness that is Santa Cruz. It is a place that everyone should visit, although at the time my traveling companion and I at the time, being subject to the Army's weekly urinalysis policy for linguists, had a hell of a time finding decent places to have a beer and listen to a bad, owing to the perpetual cannabis cloud that was common to just about every establishment there. The main drag in SC...surreal, in a word.

15. LokomotivZee

LokomotivZee Member

Aug 28, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. This is so very true (although in AI's defense, he is a great defender, and did give everything he had to our Olympic efforts.). The greatest players, even the great scorers can move the ball and see the floor as well as score. LeBron can run the point just as comfortably as he plays SF. Guys like DWade and Kobe can play either guard position and distribute as well as score. There is a reason guys like AI who are pure Iso game don't win trophies (usually).

2. I love the game at every level. I don't have a particular NBA club, but I pull for Kansas Alums, and I'm starting to pull for the T-Wolves due to me watching every damn game (we get T-Wolves games almost every night, but rarely get Wild games.). In college I'm a Kansas fan and Alum.

16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    1. You're happy with using the 5 and 6 pick in the draft to come up with a backup PG? Wow. And the Knicks may be salivating, but they have no assets. Nor can they be cleared out of picks the way you think - can't trade picks in consecutive years. And since the Knicks are no longer abjectly bad, you're not getting much more than a 10 for Rubio. Which, considering the Wolves are rebuilding was smart........why? Kahn made a big mistake with Rubio. Either he shouldn't have drafted him at all, shouldn't have drafted Rubio or should have traded both picks to get someone like Tyreke Evans.
    As for Flynn himself, for a "pure" point guard, he's averaging 4.4 assists per game despite a ton of playing time. Oh, and lets not even get into the wisdom of signing yet another PG (Sessions) after drafting two. That was clever!
    I will give you this - Jackson's a bad comparison. I'm trying to think of the right one (its certainly not KJ - please). He's a better version of Earl Boykins.
    2. First, PER doesn't take defense into account. So linking Hollinger's stats was pretty pointless in that regard. And considering you just admitted Jefferson and Love play the same position.........you're arguing that they're meshing well? :confused: And no, his defense isn't fine. He may have good positioning, but his lateral movement is not very good at all, which is what you need for great defense at the NBA level.
    3. Oh good grief, of course he's not. He's not even close. He's shooting ever so slightly better (.2%) and is basically worse in every single other department. Here, since you used Hollinger's stats, which I like, are Brewer's: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players/hollinger?playerId=3191 A 1 point PER improvement. Your standards for most improved player are really, really low, it seems.

P.S. Street cred? This is two white guys talking about basketball. What street cred?

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Actually, I don't really like watching college basketball. Even as an alum. Big X basketball in particular is boring, and teams like Wisconsin are practically sleep inducing. The tournament is great, but since the regular season means almost nothing, I can't get too excited about it.

18. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have actually been hearing about some jealousy issues with Al Jefferson towards Kevin Love.

19. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way it is a "big" mistake is if Rubio turns out to be a complete bust and Kahn can't dangle him for someone of comparable value or a high pick next year in 2011, in a deeper draft. If that turns out to be the case, that will mean a lot of NBA gurus were wrong about him, not just one man. It is a mistake only if you believe the fallacy about the best draft strategy being all about drafting for need, instead of taking the best player available - that strategy is a strategy for losers, as has been shown time and time again in both the NBA and NFL. That theory sucks bilge water all the way around, but ESPECIALLY when a team is in full rebuild mode. No one, and I mean no one, had Rubio falling to 5 on their draft board (the guy I thought that was going to drop like a stone was Thabeet, which given the need for a center, I was hoping Kahn would resist the temptation, as I think he's got "bust" written all over him.) If the kid turns out to be as advertised - he'll be a whopping 20 years old in the 2011 season when he hits the NBA. Whether he likes it or not, his path to the NBA comes thru the T-Pups, and his upside is so high that only a fool would suggest taking him at 5, not knowing for sure when he would hit the NBA, was a horrible decision. Again, next to a dominating C, pure PGs that make it are the hardest commodity in the NBA to find, and I'm not going to fault Kahn for taking the best players available at the time with the 5 & 6 and either banking a tradable commodity in Rubio or securing the rights to a player who some thing might be the best prospect EVER to come out of Europe. If Rubio hadn't dropped to 5, I am positive Kahn would have taken Flynn and Evans, and he still would have signed Sessions in that scenario. That didn't happen. You make the best of the hand that you're dealt, and offering a 5 & a 6 for Tyreke Evans when the team (at the time) had Sebastian frickin' Telfair as their #1 PG and NO one as a backup PG is NOT how you rebuild a team.

He's getting 29 minutes a game, with Sessions getting 21 minutes a game; that's not a "ton" of playing time.. 14 PPG and 4.4 APG on a rebuilding team, that's bad? :confused: Curry is getting almost the same stats in 5 more minutes a game, is he a bust too (and lemme tell ya, Curry is no PG, even though he thinks so.) The only rookie PG that is racking up better numbers is Jennings (34 minutes a game), and he and Evans will be fighting it out for ROTY. Flynn is more of your prototypical 1 guard than either Curry or Jennings is - Curry and Jennings still both look to shoot first, Flynn drives to the basket and is a better distributor than either of them. Flynn has a long way to go - he's got to get more selective about taking shots, his quickness on D makes up a bit for his lack of size but he's always going to have to work on mismatches every night, and he's still struggling with the complicated triangle offense that Rambis brought over from the Lakers (and who wasn't? Jefferson was the biggest whiner about the offense until just recently, when it started to click a bit for him and he began to "get it.") You may not see flashes of early KJ in Flynn, but I and others do. The kid knows how to run a team, and is getting more confident in the offense and his skills every day.

Oh, yeah, Sessions -gee, getting someone that decent for your backup PG at 4 years/$16M, you're right, that's frickin' crazy talk :rolleyes:) Where's Sebastian Telfair when you need him? Honestly, nice...

Uh, riiiiight.

No one said he was the next Ron Artest or Josh Smith. You said his defense was bad. It is hardly that. He's slow afoot, but like I said before, his positioning and court sense more than make up for it. He's not going to land on the all-defensive squad anytime soon, but you make it out like he's one of the worst defenders in the league at the 4 spot, when in reality he's far from that. Again, I don't think you've watched him enough to know.

And, I am not sure why this is so hard for you to figure out - Love and Jefferson mesh about as well as can be expected when both play the same position. Love recently took to coming off of the bench, playing the same amount of minutes, so that Hollins could play center with Jefferson moving to the 4 spot, and he didn't mope, pout, cry or complain, and as it happens the T-Pups ran off a 4 game winning streak. Jefferson is purely a low post scorer, nothing more, whereas Love is a more complete player at the 4, better rebounder, MUCH better defender, runs the court much better and has better hands (his one touch to Jefferson for the thunderous jam to seal the win against the Grizzlies Saturday was Bird-esque.) Kahn says he isn't dealing any core players at the deadline, but I'm still convinced that Big Al will be playing elsewhere in 2010. Again, probably the right thing to do on a rebuilding team, and there's about 5-6 playoff teams right now with plenty to offer that desperately could use the low post points that Big Al can deliver on a nightly basis.

Is that so? Well, Mo Brooks over at ESPN begs to differ with you:

Most Improved Player of the Year Watch

1. Joakim Noah, Bulls: He has emerged as one of the best defenders in the league, and his numbers across the board are way up.

2. Carl Landry, Rockets: With T-Mac and Yao Ming MIA, someone had to step up and be the man in crunch time for the Rockets. So far, that honor has gone to Landry.

3. Josh Smith, Hawks: Not only has he become a better decision-maker with the ball, he also has showed an all-around maturity that wasn't present during his first few seasons in the league.

4. Corey Brewer, Wolves: He has gone from being just a lockdown defender to being a lockdown defender with a jumper. His shooting range, shooting percentages and points-per-game average have risen each month this season.

5. Marc Gasol, Grizzlies: He leads all second-year players in shooting (60 percent) and rebounding (9.8), is second in double-doubles (21) and third in blocked shots (1.6).

'Nuff said.

20. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really think there is much too that; I think it is more that Big Al doesn't really care for the offense Rambis installed, as he doesn't run the court well and has a hard time making the right defensive reads that are oh so critical in the triple post offense - the triangle offense is dependent on what the defense gives you, and some players just aren't up to being able to see that on a consistent basis. He's trying, as he's not the clubhouse cancer type, but I think he thinks he's better suited for a 3-2 hi/lo post motion offense like they ran last year, which (to be honest) - he's probably right.

21. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Methinks you're thinking about the years that Dick Bennett coached the Badgers, when they were boring to watch, and Wisconsin was almost indistinguishable from watching Pete Carril's Princeton teams play. Since Bo Ryan came along and installed his spin on the UCLA swing offense - they are hardly boring, and no one who knew a bit about their hoops would dare to suggest so.

The B10, with a few exceptions along the way, has always been a conference where fundamental team basketball, aggressive D and the half court offense is sacrosanct. It is hardly boring. You don't like that style, fine, have fun watching Loyola-Marymount highlights on YouTube. But please don't play holier than thou here and announce something that you just don't happen to properly appreciate as "boring."

22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    WOW does that miss the point. I don't blame him for taking Rubio with the fifth pick. I blame him for then taking Flynn while knowing that Rubio would immediately say "wtf"? Which is EXACTLY what Rubio did. Now the T-Wolves have an asset that a) doesn't want to come to Minnesota after being dicked around, b) doesn't really want to come to Minnesota in the first place, and c) is growing less valuable with each passing day because the long he waits in Europe the less he's worth. Also, if he waits 2 more years, he comes in without the rookie salary cap. Oops. Taking Flynn 6th was a monumentally stupid decision. How were they going to play together even if Rubio had come? They're both pass first point guards, both short and both with questionable jump shots. And if you think you would have traded one of them based on their performance.....you'd never have gotten as high of a pick in return. Because no one would trade a top 5 picks for your PG leavings.
    As for drafting for need vs. talent.......Flynn wasn't even the best PG available at 6! And its one thing to draft for talent in the NFL where you have more than one of every position other than QB and injuries are endemic, but it doesn't work that way in the NBA. Unless the player you're picking is a truly unique talent, having 3 great small forwards doesn't help, because they can't play together. Or have you forgotten Marvin Williams ahead of Chris Paul and Deron Williams, when Atlanta was crying out for a PG but Williams was "too good a talent to pass up"? Would the Nets take John Wall even though they have Devin Harris? Absolutely - but that's because everyone agrees Wall is the second coming of the man who invented sliced bread. No one ever thought Flynn was that. Its one thing to bank a #2 pick the way Dumars did with Darko (as bad of a decision as that was due to Darko's suckitude) when you're already a winning team. But the Wolves are in full rebuild mode, and they basically punted on the top 5 pick in the draft.........why? To bank an asset? That's idiotic.
    To sum up - picking Rubio fifth wasn't a problem. Taking Flynn sixth was really, really dumb. Because you've ended up with only one of those two players.

1. Jennings is actually not a shoot first PG - you haven't watched him enough.
    2. Lawson is putting up much better numbers than Flynn and should have gone ahead of him.
    3. I watched Flynn play at Syracuse. He's a career backup PG, and nothing he has done this season has changed that. 14 and 4.4 on a bad team where he's getting 30 minutes a game is, again, not great. And his assists/minute stats are very underwhelming. Oh, and KJ could shoot. Flynn can't. That's a huge difference.
    4. I've never thought Curry would be a great pro. He's not remotely a PG and at best he'll be a poor man's Reggie Miller. Which isn't bad, mind you, but Reggie could only maximize his talents on a team suited for him, which Curry is unlikely to do, because he's short and teams will insist on playing him as a PG because of that.

Oh, I thought getting Sessions was a great move in isolation. But signing him while you're trying to negotiate with Rubio? That's idiotic in the extreme.

He's a 5'11 (I know he's listed at 6'1, but he's not and everyone knows it) no shoot PG. What else would you describe him as?

I didn't say he's one of the worst defenders in the league, but he's a bad defender regardless. He's below average.

Right, which means they don't mesh well. And given Kahn's record so far, you're going to get 50 cents on the dollar for Al. Have fun.

No, not "nuff" said. Why is it that when you link to Hollinger's stats they're right, but when I do it you ignore them and find one pundit who says something that makes no sense and praise it as gospel? Brewer is shooting .437%, is below 70% on free throws (a really bad sign) and is in general playing worse in every measurable respect. Here, I'll link it again: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players/hollinger?playerId=3191

In short - you're a huge Minnesota sports homer and you overrate anything involving Minnesota, the same way you did Torii Hunter by arguing (giggle) that he's a first ballot hall of famer despite the mountains of evidence I found for you as to why that wasn't the case.

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    :rolleyes::rolleyes: What got into your panties? I didn't say you were an idiot if you didn't think Big Ten basketball was boring. I said I thought it was boring. Its not "holier than though" (I think you need to look up how to use that term properly), its a personal opinion. Jesus.

You were wondering how anyone could not find college basketball as exciting and entertaning as the NBA. Well, I don't, because much of it is boring and meaningless.

24. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lawson also is 2 years older and had a DUI leading up the draft the draft forcing him to return to school a year ago.

Also, every single player is listed at 2 inches taller. Heights vary depending on shoes, and players aren't measured on their bare feet. Barkley said he was 6'5" in his autobiography.

25. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    1. Lawson is one year older, not two.
    2. What does the DUI have to do with it? :confused:
    3. Not every player is listed 2 inches taller; only some are. Everyone knows that Flynn is. And yes, Barkley was another famous example. But no one goes around saying "I think Jordan was really 6'4 as opposed to 6'6".

Oh, and by the way, guess how the Nuggets got Lawson? They traded for him from.........Minnesota. Clever David Kahn, very clever. :rolleyes: