From Castilla to Primera, Again - The Santiago Hernan Solari Poggio Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Nov 13, 2018.

1. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Our current squad’s loser mentality is really rubbing off on people.

Doni repped this.
  2. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    https://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2019/01/17/5c409b3c22601d7e358b4651.html

Santiago Solari surprised many with his team selection to face Leganes in the Copa del Rey on Wednesday but there is a suggestion that one of his tactical decisions was overruled by Marcelo.

Arguably the most unexpected change came on the left as Marcelo featured as a winger, with Sergio Reguilon as the full-back behind him.

However, this did not last long as, after less than half an hour, with Real Madrid a goal down, Marcelo and Reguilon swapped roles.

Was this prepared? Or was it a trick by Solari to try to deceive Leganes?

At the time, there was a moment when the coach seemed to reproach Reguilon for something, raising suspicions that the decision was taken by the players without consulting Solari.

Images shown by Goal seem to back this argument up, as Solari appears to ask the Spaniard for explanations as to why he and Marcelo had swapped before Reguillon shrugged before returning to the pitch.

Various signals and gesticulations continued between Solari, Reguilon and Marcelo before the players continued to play in the positions they wanted, disobeying the coach.

"We were trying to adjust to the pressure, we wanted to improve in this position," said Solari in his press conference following Los Blancos' 1-0 defeat.

3. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Its unbelievable how far out of his depth Solari is.

4. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    I can’t wait until the end of the season so he can leave, I loved him as a player, I love him as a Real Madrid legend but yea this relationship will only continue to get sour.

Hendrix22 repped this.
  5. Castillas

Castillas Member+

May 4, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If this story about Marcelo disobeying etc is true, then Marcelo can pack his bags and GTFO.
    I doubt it is true though. More likely pathetic journalistic attempt at creating drama and tension.

Digital, S1na and robnycus repped this.
  6. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Everytime there is some tension in the club Marca will immediately start publishing these bs articles to try and stir the pot.
    To reach this conclusion from those images is ridiculous.

7. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    You can't blame people for not wanting to follow an imbecile.

They can see the man is out of his depth and to be honest... sadly they know more than Solari and could possibly do a better job managing the team as captain-manager-players.

The sad part is some of you really don't see how far we have fallen. Your eyes will open soon.

ahnaf repped this.
  8. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    we will probably able to finish somewhere between 2-4 place in the La Liga.
    We have (IMO), playing as worse we are playing now, 50% to pass Ajax (and then probably get kicked in 1/4 if we keep playing like that).
    if we're out from the CL in the 1/8, Solari will not even finish this year and you'll see a panic signing.
    if we're out in the 1/4 (or later), he'll finish the year.

9. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    How we're playing now we will be dominated by Ajax in possession and on the scoreboard.

10. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    A lot if the players playing bad this year have a tendency to play well in the elimination phase of the CL. Think bale, benzema, Marcelo, Ramos of last year la liga vs CL.
    Not saying it will happen again, but there is a chance.

11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nah, it's pretty much how coaching this team is right now.

People say that we need to play this player here, this player there when the players themselves know where they want to play and what they want to do. If it doesn't fit with their visions they won't do it.

12. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    What's a legitimate explanation for starting Marcelo on the wing and then 10-15 minutes in, switching him back to LB? If we were to pretend that Marcelo just didn't override his decision on the field, what's a possible explanation that would make Solari look good here?

HZinho and Digital repped this.
  13. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would Marcelo switch himself to LB? Because he loves sprinting back to defend but considers getting involved in the build up play to much of a hastle.

14. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    To be honest with you, I noticed the switch and it never even crossed my mind that it was due to Solari's instruction. It was clear that Marcelo simply did what he thought was best, play on his natural position (and therefore overriding Solari).

Doni and Zidane05 repped this.
  15. Forcamadrid2

Forcamadrid2 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 13, 2017
    I actually thought i saw Marcelo playing CM from first minutes.

16. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Because he saw it as a threat to his position in the starting eleven in the long run. It’s obvious he realises that Reguilon is a legit challenge to his spot no matter how stubborn/ignorant/blind Solari is behaving.

Zidane05 repped this.
  17. Castillas

Castillas Member+

May 4, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Of course I can blame people. Solari was placed in this role by the management/owners of the club. The players are under him in the hierarchy. Anything else is irrelevant. Maybe if the players had actually tried to perform a bit better on the field instead of attempting this crap, the results would be different.

Once again, if true (which I doubt) then I don't want to see Marcelo in Real Madrid shirt any more.

18. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I think the players are largely to blame for the debacle of this season, but Solari has made the issue worse by not even putting them in a position to succeed. His tactics are relegation club tactics, his man management is horrendous, his game management is just as bad.

But I again ask the question, if this was not a choice by Marcelo, what scenario would have played out that makes Solari looks good in all of this? Because the change did happen, anyone who watched the game saw it.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  19. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    #369 robnycus, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    ^ Marcelo needed to be benched.. what are you talking about ? and Solari did just that and we won a game.. Then we saw Marcelo cheering and celebrating ours goals from the sidelines..
    This last game he was basically trying something new (when we saw the lineup some of us were actually glad to see the change) since we had that 3 goal cushion..
    The only player who he is not really looking after is Isco,.. besides that he's giving minutes to everyone else.
    If we are gonna spread rumors now.. and take these spanish articles as gospel and make up some drama here is one that says Marcelo is still 7kg overweight and that he refused to get on the balance, which could explain why he's been playing like crap recently.
    https://www.defensacentral.com/real...subir-a-la-bascula-cuantos-kilos-de-mas-tiene

20. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    This is pretty much my stance too.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  21. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet we climbed into the CL spots from 9th position, won the CL group and are into the next round of the CdR. Not all doom and gloom and at the time JL was fired there was speculation things would be a lot worse at this point.

Maybe Marcelo got winded, maybe they heard the other teams player/coach talk about a tactical change that required a counter action.

22. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    So the players are to blame for the terrible football and the humiliating losses we suffered, but Solari gets credit for moving the team up the table?

Yes, 10 minutes into the game. How does this make Solari look good was the question?

23. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The players are the same, the manager is different and the only thing that mattered is that we moved up the table. Who gets credit is irrelevant (and ultimately the blame lies with Flo because he chose JL to begin with and has neglected to reinforce the team).

I'm not trying to make Solari look good I just think that if he is experimenting with formations and changing things up after 10 minutes in a game where he has a three goal cushion that he is at least working for his paycheck.

24. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    By saying that you are attributing success to Solari. I mean, we're not idiots here. The fact of that matter is, the team's record is still the same in the CL, Solari has had the cushion of an easy run in La Liga, and still dropped matches vs Sociedad and Eibar and points at Villarreal largely because of his decisions, and we can go through each if you'd like.
    Wait, so if he's experimenting with Marcelo on the LW and he has a 3 goal cushion in the game, why does reverting back to the same old same old after 10 minutes constitute him working for his pay cheque? That actually makes him look worse.

25. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he realized his lineup/formation was a mistake, you want to know the difference between Solari and Lopetegui.

It takes Solari 10 minutes to realize he's made a mistake and he takes some action to correct it, JL still probably doesn't know what hit him.