Friendly: Japan V Colombia, March 22nd

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by pibe10, Jan 24, 2019.

1. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Furnaccio repped this.
  2. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Welp... At least is a team that played WC. European teams apparently out of our league now because of that shitty tournament UEFA created. But to be honest, don't know what good would make us playing against one of their Top 10 with a New manager in his first game.

3. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Agree. I really don't care too much regarding the opponent, I just want to see who will coach us and to get to work already. Hoped it would be in Europe so I could go to the game, but oh well...

ryu79 and pepinointer repped this.
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    A game is a game.
    Does not matter who it is against. I just want to see how the new manager approaches things.

5. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Look not a crap concacaf team or a super shit Asian team with tons of money that won’t be a test

Japan beat us at the WC and is arguably the best Asian team out there. They are very fast team. Good challenge. Or would you guys prefer Qatar, China, Haiti or Panama?

That being said I am already unhappy by the coaching choice and how long it’s taken to announce it. Will be totally against him if the roster of players called isn’t at least 30

We have 4 games before the Copa America and to not call a massive squad unless he has a mini camp in between the two rounds of friendlies with Colombian league players maybe playing against the U20 that will be going to the WC hopefully.

We are just too late in the game for him to call up the World Cup squad. + Duvan. We wasted at least 6 friendlies waiting for him.

Also the next two friendlies after the March ones that will basically be the final team. There really is 0 time to fk around

I’d love to see two teams depending on who the 2nd team we play is.

A lot of really good young players need to get caps. I also rather not see Ospina, Falcao, James, Arias, Davison on the team. They are starters no way they aren’t making it other then injury. Give others a shot.

Back up GK/RB, a Cm that can pass, being able to find a legit cover for James and a striker who can score with no Falcao would be great to find.

6. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali

Japan just made semis and is a good test and falls right in the hands of CQ, if Iran beat China today, will face Japan in semis.

Also, don't slight other countries just because historically they've been inferior.... futbol has caught up in a lot of regions and Qatar is no slump. They won their group in this current Asia Cup with no goals scored against and 10 goals in favor. They beat and advanced past Iraq (a team that CQ couldnt beat in group stage) and play Korea tomorrow, with a win securing them a spot in the final 4. Their U20 squad has already qualified for the WC. They've been transforming their futbol schools for the past 8 years and bringing in top scouted youth from all over Africa, offering them a sense of security and formation that they could never have afforded back in their countries of origin. Having a spot in Copa America was obviously a money grab but also they're taking their development quite seriously.

My only grievance with playing Japan in Asia is the incredible amount of travel and lag that it takes on our players. From Buenos Aires, it's over a day just in travel. From Europe it fares a bit better but it's still quite taxing. I recall that friendly vs Korea back in 2017, our players looked quite a bit off on the field.

7. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Good test better then Dominican Republic in NYC. Or what ever awful game our fed would take and agree to bring X/y players that the marketers want us to bring to a Near empty stadium and waste an opportunity try to new players

8. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Guys we really need to win; the mentality of the team needs to be high and with full confidence. I personally hope that we can get enough friendlies to ready this team with a new coach...

crzdcolombian repped this.
  9. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yes/no

We do need to maximize the number of available friendlies, but I’ll give you a single example as to why the result of a pre Copa America game is not critical...

2007 - we beat Paraguay in the March friendly and opening game of the 2007 CA was....well....you know!

If we can see an improvement in tactics and ball movement over the next few friendlies, the results in CA/WCQ action will follow

In terms of confidence....the opening game jitters need to go away against Argentina who will be looking to come out blazing when that match starts. We have to find ways to control how the game is played and not let other teams dictate the action.

10. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    for me we can lose all friendlies, the result in these are secondary.......the important of this if the coach can implement his tactics, that players gets used to the new instructions......that new players are proved.

For example in march the one that dad more profit from the friendly was france not colombia......

Chile prior to copa amerca lost agisnt jamaica and argentina......then in the cup defeated argentina in the final and became champions

Friendlies dont feed you with winning mentality........are just good training and prrofs.

11. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay have winning mentalities so they can go to friendlies to experiment

We have a cowardly mentality and were feed “losing is winning experience”!!!! Bs for 20 years!!! Going to take a bit to break that. Hence why some of you were so happy with pekerman

12. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Your conceptual mediocrity is sad-

1. Winning mentality is focused in getting the important goals.....friendlies arent goals and objectives....in fact approaching in bad way wasting chances to obtain a new concept and tactics is being a mediocre.

2. If you think that a SHIT FOOTBALL NATION LIKE THE FUKING COLOMBIA that only have gone to 6 of 21, world cups, that only won 3 matches before 2014..........have the same goals and obligation that powerhouses that have worked for years for their objective........you are just a mediocre that think that thing dosent require dedication and work.

3. Saying that im not say "losing is winning experiences" as you try to ridicule DIFFERENT CONCEPTS AND REASONS EXISTS ...just are things that
    not worth it to win and should be aprroach in a useful way
    . is an issue of beign utilatarian not a mediocre diifdent that need third persons aproball like you.

4. dont confuse winning mentality with you lack of capacity of analysys and winning mediocrity.

13. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Colombia should skip the Copa America and play friendlies instead. By winning those friendlies we get the confidence to win the friendlies of the future. We also need two or three friendlies before the Japan game, we are not ready for it yet.

Flipmode2000, J-Mezzy, ryu79 and 3 others repped this.
  14. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The players will have a great time. Japan in the Spring is beautiful and the fans there will treat Falcao and James (if they show up) like the Beatles).

dapip, Bomb8 and Furnaccio repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    RCN radio is saying that Cuadrado and Mina have already been discarded from the friendlies due to injuries.

Sucks for Cuadrado not being a part of friendlies before a major competition again. He impressed me during the last set of friendlies especially on the left side.

Mina is hard to replace too. I don't want to see the Murillos out there again. Cristian Zapata is injured too but I hope he is healthy by March.
    That leaves not too many good options to start with Davinson.

Furnaccio repped this.
  16. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Last I read about JC11 is that he’s out until April. In the game against Costa Rica he was playing in a central position for the lead up to that Cucho goal. During the 12-14 run, I remember pekerman employing a tactic during our 4-2-2-2 days when James and JC11 would switch sides of the field which was brilliant but never really revisited during 14-18 cycle.

As for Mina, what is it with these injuries?

Oscar appears to be playing regularly so I won’t be surprised to see him starting at this rate next to Davinson. Oscar - I actually don’t mind, but everyone is going to be harsh on him bc of the Japan game which in my eyes was a weird call considering Oscar had minimal match fitness between March - June 2018.

I wonder if Bernardo will get a call-up / minutes. Usually with a new manager comes with a few new faces as well.

17. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I want to see Bernardo get the nod. Had the most matches out of all our CBs and didn’t get called to the WC or given any minutes with the NT. He seems kind of slow but maybe Sanchez speed can complement him

I don’t want to see Cristian Zapata(still injured no?) or Jeison (needs to swallow his pride and go to a mid table team to be a starter)

Like to see new options but Oscar Murillo is only 30 so not insanely old. I just don’t like him. Will laugh if Felipe Aguilar is called tho

My big concern is calling players in bad form but in a good league/team. Also size of the team that gets called.

Hope he lets the players know soon because annoying when these guys have visa issues. Not sure if it’s just the US is annoying or that they have 2-4 days to get one

18. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Bernardo is 29 to be fair, but I hear ya about Cristian and Jeison. Oscar isn’t flashy but he was a reliable and consistent performer 14-18 cycle. Jeison could either play 9/10 or 2/10

19. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Oscar Back passes or kicks the ball out of bounds 80% or the time. Not my type of defender...

20. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i hear you. i guess that may be viewed as a better style of play compared to Jeison's not-so-strategic-at-times independent streaks to go up field.

it is nerve racking though that there appears to be a big drop off in talent after our core group of CBs of which

1. Zapata - getting up there in age and gets minimal club minutes (happy with paychecks?)
    2. Davison - here to stay, but has had his share of shaky NT performances
    3. Mina - injury prone and lack of club playing time seem to haunt him the past 12-18 months
    4. Oscar - least flashy of bunch
    5. Bernardo - yet to be tested
    6. Jeison - has the tools, but doesn't seem to have the head for playing for these household club teams

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Bernardo may be the beneficiary. As some Iranuan posters have mentioned around here Queiroz like tall physical defenders in his system. I would not be surprised to see him start with Davinson.

Furnaccio repped this.
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    4 years ago we had Jeison and Franco starting the Copa Ameirca. I feel much better this time around. I believe someone will step up whether it be Lucumi or Cuesta or players we have not even heard of by the end of this cycle.

Furnaccio repped this.
  23. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Pedro Franco only played a couple of games and was on the roster for 15CA: Zapata/Jeison were the primary guys but I get your point.

HomietheClown repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I meant to say at this time 4 years ago I thought we would have to rely on those two starting.

Furnaccio repped this.
  25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We have a very solid roster, with 2 or 3 players available at most positions. Let's see who Queiroz calls up, but I don't think we will see a ton of surprises.

Furnaccio repped this.