Friendly: Belgium vs México; November 10, 2017

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Philip J. Fry, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    Oh, I thought it happened back during the Confed Cup. I didn't know it happened recently.

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  2. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    The Dragon and Phillip... NO MAMEN.

Miscarriages are more common than you think. Also, I thought it was the, "personal reason" to leave the seleccion the last time during the Summer.

3. Pasionporeltri1

Chivas
    Mexico
    Oct 29, 2017
    He had shared on his IG images with his wife very motivated and happy about his wife's pregnancy, so when the miscarriage happen he was in camp with the MNT, he was given the news and left to be with his wife in Portugal... that's what happened.

ShockMaster, Otaku, LaMascara and 6 others repped this.
  4. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He wasn’t injured for confed Cup, either. There was a “personal” reason that never got disclosed.

5. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That was bullshit that it never got disclosed. This time around was, and it's a totally understandable reason, so I don't see what was the difference in the Confed Cup.

6. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Are you still married to the pilot?

7. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Moreno con fe
    [​IMG]

Otaku repped this.
  8. OneJillion$$$

OneJillion$$$ Member+

Jun 19, 2015
    Two things:

1) Me thinks JCO only calls Gallardo up because he's a lefty. I least I think he's a lefty..... if not, oh boy.

2) I understand why Salcedo is at right back, but man do we get burned through his side sometimes (granted we get burned either way on transitions). When Mexico decides to get more aggressive offensively, he steps up like a rb should. However, like I said, we already get burned on transitions even with Salcedo at the back 3. Now imagine with him further up the field?

I also don't think we should be comparing Salcedo with Alaba. Alaba does his job well and excels at that position. He would even bomb forward and give a one-two pass along with a shot at the end, a cross, or a through ball. The dude was almost built for that position as Guardiola found out. I believe his original position was right back and Pep turned him into a third CB. So that's different from Salcedo's case (CB -->RB).

DankYummy repped this.
  9. OneJillion$$$

OneJillion$$$ Member+

Jun 19, 2015
    If JCO is looking for an Alaba type player. Why not try out Pizarro at that position? I know, I know, but hear me out (besides it's purely hypothetical).

Pizarro started off as a fullback/ wide mid. He's progressed up to a forward now essentially. This is great because he knows how to combine and read the game offensively. He can bomb forward to help out at times when necessary and if the opponent decides to defend (and allow the center backs to bring the ball up) why not have Pizarro bring it up? He wouldn't be as limited as Moreno is because he'd be able to dribble his way up if need be or give a 1-2 pass. He could chose to go through the center or go out wide. He has pace and is mobile.

The only thing I'm not too sure about is his defensive prowess (1v1, defensive positioning/discipline, etc.), since I didn't see him play as a fullback.

Still, this would be the perfect time to try him out in that position in the upcoming friendlies. JCO can try to create a new fold in the tactical scheme, and if it doesn't work then no need to worry. You just revert back to what you know.

DankYummy repped this.
  10. Pasionporeltri1

Chivas
    Mexico
    Oct 29, 2017
    haha no!

Sanchito repped this.
  11. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    These mofos are too emotional

12. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He's the habitual weak link in our line up. I don't know what the f*ck Osorio sees in this loser.

DankYummy repped this.
  13. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Guess you haven't watched Moreno play. Or even Layun lately.

The tactical approach is clear and has been for quite a while. The rotation stuff is cheap ammo that is used against a coach whom many people dislike over the 7-0 loss to Chile, and that is valid.

I've said this before but a flat back four in defense is risky for Mexico but it could work if there is a good amount of understanding amongst the back four. It is understood that Layun will often push up and Salcedo will tuck in to create a three man backline while in possession. The same is true when Moreno plays as a LB and Gallardo slots in on the right.

The Alaba comparison wasn't a player for player analysis, it was simply a comment on the tactical approach of using these kinds of players in your defensive line.

I think Pizarro could do well there as he showed in the Olympics. Another one that could slot in perfectly in that role would be Erick Aguirre. I don't see it happening under Osorio as he has made it rather clear that he prefers a certain physical presence in the back line and defensive midfield position. This was borne out of Mexico's penchant for leaking goals in set pieces, something that has undeniably been corrected with this approach.

But what about giving up goals in transition? That is a much bigger problem and one that is only exacerbated by Mexico's offense first approach. Someone mentioned earlier that the Belgians, while having less possession, often looked more threatening throughout parts of the game. This is because they usually completed every offensive play with a shot on goal while Mexico was more content with keeping possession in the attacking third and sometimes forcing a pass that would be intercepted and allowed Belgium to counter with plenty of space. The same was true for Germany during the Confederations Cup. They managed to score two goals inside of 10 minutes by simply waiting for Mexico to make a mistake and catching them in transition with favorable numbers.

Contrary to popular belief, this is nothing new. This has been a tactical deficiency on Mexico's part for quite a long time but it certainly seems like it's been highlighted under Osorio. The solution will partly fall on the shoulders of Edson Alvarez because as I mentioned a few weeks ago, Diego Reyes doesn't have the lateral quickness to defend that area of the field appropriately. He did well for Porto there in a few games but Porto's approach is different compared to what Mexico attempts to do. I find it odd that so many people criticized Reyes for getting spun like a top by Hazard on the first Belgium goal. Hazard does it to much more seasoned players than Reyes on a consistent basis in the EPL and it's possible he would've done the same to anyone else Osorio may have trotted out in that position.

Phenom and Miguel Myers repped this.
  14. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I said this exact same thing for years, but everybody else wanted him in the midfield, especially on the attack. Seems like Osorio is the same way, except that he has several people ahead of him.

15. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Layun, Reyes, and to a certain extent Moreno beg to differ

Salcedo and Araujo were the best guys on defense against Belgium

Though I do think that Salcedo is completely wasted playing as a RB rather than a CB

I don’t understand why Osorio doesn’t call up natural fullbacks

Philip J. Fry and DankYummy repped this.
  16. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Maybe you don't understand what personal means? Does Corona have an obligation to tell the world everything that goes on in his life? No. He doesn't owe you or anyone anything and like any other person is entitled to keep private affairs private. The only person that needs to know is Osorio and he makes the judgement call if it's right or not. It's none of our damn business.

Paco' repped this.
  17. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    After the Chile game, Osorio explained he was moving away from attacking fullbacks. It's the reason Paul Aguilar hasn't been called in since.

The attacking burden falls strictly on the shoulders of Corona, Lozano, Vela and CH14.

It's a more pragmatic approach.

Hecho en Chivas repped this.
  18. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    Salcedo reminds me of that Mayan dude from Apocolypto. Not the main character, but the guy who was trying to chase him down and kill him lol

[​IMG]

DaTruth and DankYummy repped this.
  19. You should use that body paint instead of a shirt,:sneaky: including the piercings!! Should scare the hell out of the opponent:devilish:
    WC is inevitable:)

DaTruth, Phenom, DankYummy and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    While playing, I don't think clothing is optional lol

DankYummy repped this.