Friendly #2: Union v AFC Bournemouth, July 14, 2015 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Jun 28, 2015.

?

Predict the Outcome: Union v. AFC Bournemouth

Poll closed Jul 14, 2015.
  1. Win

11.3%
  2. Loss

5.7%
  3. Tie

3.8%
  4. Who Cares?

79.2%
  1. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep just for watching wet hot

2. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I saw on twitter that Maidana, Sapong started. Tell me they didn't play many minutes.

3. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was embarrassing to be honest....a lot of jogging around by Union players and zero defense besides McCarthy. I used to enjoy these games when the players gave a shit...this was fckin horrible! Lee is terrible...Pfeffer hid and barely put a foot in...we basically took their money and said thanks for stopping. What a waste of a night!!

UnionDues and drn99 repped this.
  4. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. They shouldn't be exerting any energy whatsoever on this stupid waste of time. I'm upset they were jogging. Should have been walking.

DoctorD, Amscray, UnionDues and 6 others repped this.
  5. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you got both, so in hindsight that was the right answer :thumbsup:

BuddhaWake and jaykoz3 repped this.
  6. DaveW_AFCB

DaveW_AFCB New Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    Well...I watched via our dodgy online player until the bitter end at 2am our time....really enjoyed it. For AFCB, our first run out, with several new players being integrated and overall, we have to be pleased. Our fitness levels looked very good right away, against a set of players halfway through their season.
    I have no idea how strong your line up was at various points....I was impressed with McCarthy in goal, he stopped several attempts along the way. From our point of view, there was lots to be happy about - some of our passing and movement was great to watch and it shows that the new players are already buying into the way we want to play.
    Obviously a lot of work to do....the goal we let in wasn't good from our point of view. But with more new players to come in, the signs are promising, albeit knowing this was a friendly and not played at 100%.
    For those of you that stayed away deliberately....I get the fact this is in the middle of your season and all that....but.... the players will want to keep learning and if they didn't take anything from the way we play, they will be missing out. I hope that we can now both keep an eye out for each other's progress along the way....best of luck for the rest of your season!

OwlSaver, CyphaPSU, amusiccale and 7 others repped this.
  7. Amscray

Amscray Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Aug 24, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheers for the kind words... may your Cherries not get popped in the Premiership!

Doop, Tyr and thomas19064 repped this.
  8. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't start well, but once they found a rhythm, AFCB were clearly the better side, very strong at the back, I liked the movement in midfield, and the forward made very strong and dangerous runs. It will obviously be tough in the prem. I don't expect they will boss many games like that and I fear they may let up a headed goal like the one we scored about a 15 times next season, but I'd love to see them stay up.

9. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were completely exploited by a superior side. CBA restrictions notwithstanding, I'm not sure why Curtin felt it necessary to roll out so many starters. Glad no one was seriously injured; AFCB seemed to be going pretty hard for a preseason friendly.

10. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We used to go pretty hard during preseason too. (0:40 seconds)