Friedel, Howard: Aston Villa vs. Everton, 4/14

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by KALM, Apr 14, 2010.

1. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Surprised not to see a thread for this yet.

15 minutes into the match, still 0-0. Both keepers have made a couple excellent saves so far.

2. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 Everton thanks to a Cahill header

3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And afterwards, announcer said Cahill has scored as many goals off headers in the EPL as Peter Crouch.

4. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    Brad must be pissed off at his defenders. They have made some bad defensive errors so far. Howard made a couple of good saves, one really nice one on Milner where he had to get down quickly.

5. Principal Firebush

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    Fantastic save by Howard on a wide open header by Cuellar. I don't think too many keepers make both of the saves on Cuellar/Milner, Howard has been the difference so far.

6. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Howard's on his game today.

7. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton still up 1-0 at the half

8. Principal Firebush

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    1-1 Agbonlahor. Looked like Everton was starting to impose their will on the game, but someone forgets to mark Gabby and he gets a header past Howard. Not much of a chance on that one, poor defending. 74'

9. Principal Firebush

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    No one can mark Cahill. Well, Ashley Young can't. How did that happen? 2-1 on a Cahill header.

10. Principal Firebush

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    Everton have won 1 game at Villa Park in the last 22 years.(according to soccerbase) They look like solid bets to get their 2nd here with about 10 minutes left.

Phil Neville dazzles and bewilders Richard Dunne with a Donovan-esque move and the Villa defender can only foul him for the free kick.

11. Principal Firebush

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    Jagielka OG that Howard got a hand on. 2-2 in the first minute of 5 added.

OMG Neville wide open at the far post and volleys it just wide. lol

2-2 FT. These two teams don't know how to play a dull game.

12. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not watching, but the BBC is saying Tim could have done better on the own goal. For those who are watching, is that right?

13. salsa_caliente

salsa_caliente New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard really should have done better on the OG. A lot of pace on that ball, but still not exactly his shining moment. Judging by his reaction, he knows it, too. If you get your hands to the ball as a keeper, you should be able to keep it out of the net, is the generally rule.

That said, a couple of nice saves in there. Very disappointing result for an Everton fan, because they had this game won. In a perfect world, the referee sees Young's studs-up kick to the nether region of Pienaar and he's not in the game to deliver that cross.

14. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep on all points you made.

15. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Just got back before.

So disappointed to throw it away again.

I thought Howard had got to it :( He made some good saves earlier so hard to blame him to be honest.

Villa always seem to do us late on, and as someone said, always an exciting game when we play. Last 5 games - 2-2; 1-1; 3-3; 3-1; 3-2.

Young "tackle" on Pienaar was a disgrace but nothing is being made of it here so it's looking likely he will get away with it :rolleyes:

Arteta/Fellaini/Donovan would have made a real difference today and I'm sure we would have won had we had at least one of them.

16. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was following on soccernet.com match tracker and saw that Howard got yellow carded for a foul on Warnock. What happened here?

17. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nah, he got booked for kicking the ball away. It's seen as unprofessional behavior.

18. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to criticize keepers for...anything really (come to think of it) but: Even though it was an own goal it was within Timmy's range and those snap reaction saves are supposed to be his forte, so I was disappointed he didn't keep that out. Based on the look on his face, he thought he should have done so, too.

And that flying studs-up kick to the balls by Young on Pienaar was a cheap, dirty play. Mahorn and Laimbeer dirty.

19. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Jakielka scoring the own goal

[​IMG]

Tim after the og

20. Principal Firebush

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    I wouldn't blame Tim...he made 2 outstanding saves that a lot of keepers might not have. They could have been down 3-2 instead of up 2-1.

21. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Other than that he was our best player.

22. salsa_caliente

salsa_caliente New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and I'm almost certain that Young thought that through. He knew where he was, where the referee (who actually had a pretty good game) was at that moment and that he would have no chance of getting caught unless the ref had x-ray vision. Hopefully the FA has a look at that, because that sort of play has no place in the game.

23. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    When I got back I watched it again and he definitely meant it, there is a second motion towards Pienaar.

There has been absolutely no mention of it here in England, not in any of the papers, not on tv, only on messageboards like this and the commentators at the time.

FA won't do anything now.

Disgusting challenge, but being honest, I never really expected much less from Ashley Young.

24. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Villa were let away with murder against us. Osman got the shit kicked out of him for the best part of the game. Young knew what he was doing, it seemed like he instantly regretted it until it went unpunished, then casually jogged off. Wanker.

25. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    One of my most hated players, honestly can't stand the guy.