Friedel: Blackburn Rovers vs. Liverpool, 8/28 3p (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by BuffloSoldier, Aug 28, 2002.

1. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Both Grabbi and Yorke get yellow cards for dissent, after an offside call by the AR.

86'.

2. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Diao about to make his Liverpool debut.

Souness is pissed off, gets sent off from the bench. Sent to the showers.

Diao on, Riise on.

3. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Three minutes of stoppage, which we've entered.

4. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Murphy trips Duff up, yellow given, and a free kick in a nice position for Blackburn.

92'.

5. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Grabbi shot, over the bar. Never dipped.

93'.

6. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    FT, 2-2.

Not a single save for Friedel. Probably lucky to take a point from this one.

7. clubfoot

clubfoot New Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for the play-by-play.

8. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    No problem; I know it's not as detailed as others like to do here at BS, but I enjoy watching the match, instead of the monitor. ;)

9. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sounds like it was a good game. Thanks for the updates.

10. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Friedel had no chance at all on either goal. None. He was left out to dry on both goals. I don't see how Friedel not making any saves has anything to do with being lucky. You can't save what's not humanly reachable.

11. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    Lucky for Liverpool. Probably Blackburn coming from behind twice was the lucky part.

12. robbief

robbief Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Boca Raton, FL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wouldn't really say either team was lucky to get the draw, it seemed a very fair (if disappointing) result. these are the types of points liverpool can't afford to drop if they want to win the title.

13. dcsoccer2000

dcsoccer2000 New Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Keller would have saved both of those shots!!!

C'mon...someone had to say it!

14. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blackburn (Dunn) scored first in minute 16.

15. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    I meant Blackburn was lucky to get the point, having to come back and all.

16. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Gotcha! Have to agree.

17. Bahnzo

Bahnzo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Littleton, CO
    I agree, Blackburn was somewhat lucky to get a point from this match....but you have to admit that the with the second Liverpool goal was misjudged by Big Bad Brad. You could see the disappointment in Brad on that one. That was the fish that got away from Brad.

18. mattgabe

mattgabe Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Blacksburg, VA
    I don't think Blackburn were all that lucky to simply get a point. They came back well and Grabbi actually looked excellent the whole time he was on (more dangerous than Yorke & Cole, actually). Riise's goal was excellent and Friedel had no chance. BF had the angle covered and that was the only possible way he could've been beaten -- a 1 in 100 shot, I think.

Also, the way Blackburn were pressing in the last 10 minutes, I think they were a little unlucky not to pull that one out.

19. Triggerfish

Triggerfish New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Jozi
    A number of posters on the Blackburn boards think that Riise's goal was accidental, in the sense that he was not actually trying to make that play (a couple of people said that they thought his real intention was to cross the ball, rather than put it on net), but the ball just bounced right for him.

Not having seen it myself, I have no idea.

20. mattgabe

mattgabe Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Blacksburg, VA
    Maybe, but he's a damn smart and skillful player. I wouldn't be surprised if he intended to do it.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was all the way to one side of the (24 feet wide, remember) goal, which was proper positioning, and then the ball was headed into pretty much the upper 90 on the opposite side. I don't know whether or not he misjudged it, but it's like an outfielder misjudging a ball hit 10 rows up into the bleachers.

It wouldn't matter anyway.

22. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a tie was the logical conclusion to this game. I definitely don't think either deserved to win as they both wasted good posessions. Both teams had their moments, both had good posession in their forward 3rd, but both also had runs of sloppy play and giveaways (Tugay and Gerrard being the main culprits). However, all 4 goals were brilliant finishes. A great game of one-upsmanship...Blackburn scores on a brilliant low cross, so Liverpool follows suit, Liverpool scores on an improbable header...as does Blackburn. Johannson stuffs Owen in the box, Henchoz stuffs Duff in the box. A great rivalry game. If these 2 teams live up to their potential, you will see them facing off in some cup matches this year, and probably fighting each other in the top 6.

Duffer in for 4 more years too!!!