Friday14 Dec 2018

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stuart95, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS invites initial group of 60 players to 2019 Combine
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/12/13/mls-invites-initial-group-60-players-2019-combine

MLS Re-Entry draft: Eligible players, rules and more
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/mls-re-entry-draft-eligible-players-rules-and-more/

MLS Finally Learned It Doesn’t Need to Compete With the Premiership to Matter
    http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/12/mls-has-accepted-that-it-is-not-the-premier-league.html

Bill Simmons on U.S. Youth Soccer's Issues and MLS's Pros and Cons
    https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/12/13/bill-simmons-us-youth-soccer-mls-usa-mexico-lafc

LA Galaxy to rename stadium Dignity Health Sports Park in 2019
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/12/13/la-galaxy-rename-stadium-dignity-health-sports-park-2019

Las Vegas Lights FC to host Toronto FC, Colorado Rapids for preseason
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/usl/las-vegas-lights-toronto-fc-colorado-rapids-usl-preseason/

Portland Timbers appoint Ned Grabavoy technical director
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/12/13/portland-timbers-appoint-ned-grabavoy-technical-director

Orlando City denies it ‘passed’ on Gerardo ‘Tata’ Martino
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/or...ity-denies-it-passed-on-gerardo-tata-martino/

Santos FC announce agreement in principle with Jorge Sampaoli
    https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/at...aoli-santos-fc-atlanta-united-coaching-search

FC Cincinnati signs Polish goalkeeper with La Liga, Bundesliga experience
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/ex...ns-polish-goalkeeper-laliga-bundesliga-tyton/

Nashville SC signs former Timbers, SKC forward Kharlton Belmar
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/expansion/nashville/nashville-sc-timbers-skc-usl-kharlton-belmar/

superdave and Bluecat82 repped this.
  2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Oh my god. What drivel. Written by someone who appears to think the Twitterati is where one can learn what MLS thinks about itself and how it acts. It's as if the good folks at Yanks Abroad condescended enough to allow themselves to be MLS fans.

The sad thing is that the author probably thinks he's spot on about the history of the league.

I guess if the article is a gateway justification to allow various Eurosnobs to allow themselves to be okay with MLS, it'll serve its purpose, but sheesh.

Len, Namrog The Just, jaykoz3 and 8 others repped this.
  3. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly! MLS has never claimed it's on the level of the top 5 leagues in Europe. But the Eurosnobs LOVE to repeat that lie. The only thing I have ever heard Don Garber say is that MLS has a goal to BECOME one of the top leagues. Which is a very reasonable goal in my view.

Kejsare repped this.
  4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Unfortunately, I'm somewhat mixed. If this kind of logic allows the snobs to allow themselves to support an MLS team begrudgingly, then what the hell. Right?

Simster and PJohnson repped this.
  5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 Bill Archer, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    What a pile of garbage. Slinging around a bunch of moth eaten stereotypes, assumptions and outright lies, combined with a disdain even for very word "American" does not make you a sophisticate, just an oikophobic shithead.

The funny thing has always been that American jagoffs like him have been saying for years that Europeans laugh at fans of MLS teams when, in fact, the opposite is true.

In England, being a die hard Wolves or QPR or Forest fan doesn't make you an ignorant jerk who just doesn't get that there are better teams in better leagues and they don't think that about MLS either.

Case in point: my son was at a bar in London watching a Champions league match. He was wearing a Barca jacket his girlfreind had given him because damn it was.cool.

Some guy asked if he was a Barca fan and he said he was actually a Columbus Crew fan, which is true but he's been a Manu fan since he was 5 but he didn't want to give them the satisfaction.

Contrary to what you hear from clowns like that writer, everybody was interested and respectful, asked questions and basically treated him.the same as if he had said any other team in the world

The bottom line is that Eurosnobs like him flatter themselves into believing that they have the same.poi nt of view as European fans, looking down on MLS.

Actually, it's pretty much just them being assholes. Europe has soccer culture, not snob culture

Len, usadcu, ToMhIlL and 12 others repped this.
  6. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question for you, Bill...how close do you think we are where the game in the country gets to the point where we can gently smile at the Eurosnobs and politely tell them to pound sand, because we don't need them?

Or are we already there?

JasonMa, Ismitje, TOAzer and 2 others repped this.
  7. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy has a few salient points. I mean ATLU are probably going to sell Almiron and perhaps Martinez and It would help the valuation of MLS's for guys like Adams and Davies to do well in the Bundesliga. I'm also sure that MLS would, as Garber said, like to sell more players. However, anyone with functioning eyes could see the league's steady move toward BUYING younger talent and their increasing investment in academies and USL sides for their reserves. It doesn't take a genius to surmise that the league saw that these players could not only be exciting on field talent, but also that they could be marketable assets in the global market. This didn't start when ATLU entered the league and it isn't exclusive to them.

To me, while ATLU's box office success is evidence of the league taking another step forward, it is really more about ATLU just being a really, really well run professional sports franchise. It started with Arthur Blank spending millions and millions on facilities and genuinely taking into account the fan experience for SOCCER in MBS. Not only that he spent tens of millions more on training and locker room facilities that would be state of the art in any league in the world. At the same time he made two tremendous hires in Darren Eales and Carlos Bocanegra to run the club. They in turn made a tremendous hire in Tata Martino. Blank then gave them a real budget to go out and bring in talent and those guys identified and recruited some tremendous young players capable of playing truly attractive soccer. Nothing about that equation leads me to believe that ATLU is evidence that MLS has accepted it is second tier. Second Tier clubs don't spend that kind of money, don't play in Billion dollar stadiums, and don't draw the way Atlanta does. They are a first class, well run organization and a credit to MLS.

8. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been there all along. I like MLS because I love soccer, because I want the game to grow and because I'd prefer to root for an American team vs rooting for some random team in Europe I have no real connection to. I want the product to improve, for sure, but I can still enjoy it (for a myriad of reasons) even though MLS is not the best league in the world.

If I'm a European soccer fan, I look at some American running around claiming affiliation with a Premier League or La Liga side as nothing other than a lame ass bandwagoner. They also do absolutely nothing to advance the game they purport to love in the country and community in which they live. Worse, they probably detract from it by feeding into the notion that the game is a joke here. I'm not saying to blindly turn your money over to the league in a completely non-critical way, but be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem. Other wise you are just a guy who thinks soccer jerseys are cool and who like to have an excuse to drink first thing in the morning on the weekend, not a true fan of the game.

9. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean my Saturday morning soccer is an excuse to drink? Go Man City! Actually I am all about Reading, because that makes me more "authentic."

Burr and Bill Archer repped this.
  10. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was giving it a chance until the quote from some random person about Atlanta United being behind "Bury FC"

Simster, Dirt McGirt and AndyMead repped this.
  11. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course it's ironic that these same types will go on and on about "Drink Local" when it comes to craft beer or brag about the latest "farm to table" restaurant they went to featuring local produce. Or what a fantastic community they have created down at the local coffee shop. Then they shun the local Football/Futbol/Soccer club and slip on that Arsenal shirt before heading down to the local Soccer Pub to watch the match with the other Eurosnobs....

JasonMa, Namrog The Just, C-Rob and 7 others repped this.
  12. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal sucks. Liverpool, Chelsea, or City out here.

LAFC has made a pretty big dent into that crowd but it is okay to hit the pub in the morning and LAFC in the afternoon/evening.

People can like more than one team.

I still can’t get my son to watch DC play (though he tolerates since Rooney/Acosta raised the level of play from Clockwork Orange to enjoyable) but he grew up watching Barca and has embraced LAFC. So we got season tickets to LAFC.

Barca in the AM, DC on TV, LAFC live.

James

13. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I typically have no beef with folks that watch soccer from other leagues but also enjoy MLS or their local MLS club. That describes a lot of us. But Eurosnobbery is a unique and odious phenomenon among certain Americans...

14. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same.

15. Simster

Simster Member

May 16, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree with this. I thought that was absolute nonsense and shows ignorance from the Englishman and the writer to even entertain that idea.

But the faux outrage from some people on here is absolutely laughable. It kind of ignores the salient point, which is simply that in order for "the" MLS to progress, it does need to become a go to destination for talent for the big leagues, and that it is slowly becoming one.

It isn't fair to say that this article is only about Eurosnobs making themselves feeling better about enjoying MLS, because it is also true that until now there has hardly been a conveyor belt of talent from MLS to the big 4 leagues.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The "league" has never had a problem with, or misunderstood, it's place in the global scheme of things. MLS has been progressing steadily for over 20 years.

If there's any misunderstanding it has been amongst fans and detractors and people who misconstrue marketing as mission statements.

17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been my experience that people overseas are more curious about our US league and are usually familiar with some of the bigger names and could possibly name a few teams if pressed. They think it's great that we have a pretty decent league, a somewhat competent national team and that the sport is thriving in a place where a lot of people thought wasn't possible not too long ago. It is pretty much the same thing as an Austrian, Belgian, Dane, whatever, supporting their local team, or someone in a big country supporting someone other than one of the Usual Suspects.

It's the Supermodels On The Internet syndrome. Sure, your wife/girlfriend doesn't look like her, but that doesn't make you lover her any less. In fact, you love her more because she's yours and not some abstract notion that you have no real connection to. You can admire the way Barca or Bayern play, but my heart and energy (and masochistic tendencies) is with the New England Revolution, thank you very much!

Len, GunnerJacket and aztec21bas repped this.