News: Friday, April 21 , 2017

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]Pretty cool poster for tonight's game !

jayd8888, MannieG and matbluvenger repped this.
  2. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Beckham ownership situation being evaluated by MLS ...
    Yahoo Sports

"We are intrigued by the Miami market, but developing stadiums and developing teams and ownership groups is very complicated,” said Garber...

In a world with less public funding in large cities, it’s not just complicated. It’s really, really expensive even with a low-cost option with David Beckham and Simon Fuller to have to come into our league. It’s a half-a-billion-dollar project.

And as we’ve learned – as we’ve been growing our league carefully and in a very strategic way – is that we’d rather wait. And wait and wait on questions like this … before making a bad decision.” -DG

It doesn't look good for Beckham and Miami.

3. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 Fiosfan, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    jayd8888 and TrickHog repped this.
  4. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Ahhhh, went looking for more news on Zlatan... bumped into a screen grab of the way he landed on his leg with it all bent back...

Wish I didn't do that...

5. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Indianapolis. Former Indianapolis mayor Greg Ballard has been pushing for a soccer stadium, but time has run out on Indy Eleven's efforts to obtain funding for part of the new soccer stadium expected to cost $100 million-$120 million. No soccer legislation was before the 2017 Indiana General Assembly, which is supposed to adjourn for the year on Friday."

Is it me or the General Assembly adjourning for the rest of the year at the end of April seem odd? Seven months off without voting on legislation makes me wonder how they get anything done.

6. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bastian v. 'Bastian?

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Howard issues a statement on his suspension (from Facebook so I'm copying the whole thing here):

8. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya
    It's probably a reference to the state's fiscal year, which looks to be from July 1st to June 30th.

wantmlsphilly repped this.
  9. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Miami dead in the water, it looks like good news for five cities to make the move. Tampa Bay looks like they will have all their ducks in line after the vote. Potential rival with Orlando looks like a natural & the biggest television market out of the teams with a bid in.

Sacramento and San Diego if approved look like they would be strong markets. Both of the stadiums and the complex that would surround them look first rate. Both being in California might hurt if MLS stays with two conferences.

Which leaves San Antonio, Phoenix, Cincinnati, Nashville & Carolina for the last two spots. Unless Detroit can somehow get their site approved which I just can't see happening.

Right now these teams seem to have the path of least resistance.

1) Tampa Bay
    2) Sacramento
    3) San Antonio
    4) San Diego
    5) Phoenix

Burr, Tom Ado and footballfantatic repped this.
  10. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the Tampa ownership group have 'real' money(aka a multi-billionaire)? MLS really should wait if they don't IMO.

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And EPL I would think.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The owner they have sounds like a right dodgy geezer.

In 2013, the Edwards-owned Mortgage Investors was fined $7.5 million for violating the federal do not call list.

That same year, Edwards negotiated a sale of Mortgage Investors to HomeBancorp but the deal was never completed.After the failure of the deal, Mortgage Investors stopped making new home loans and laid off the majority of its staff.

In 2015, the United States Department of Justice and two mortgage brokers sued Edwards, alleging that Mortgage Investors defrauded veteran home buyers and the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.

- Wikipedia

13. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminder that if the offending incident happened in an actual supporters section, MLS wouldn't hesitate to ban the person for the rest of the season.

However, since it happened in a VIP area, he gets to skate. It really makes me suspicious that the "fan" involved was probably related to a club/league official, or a deep pocketed sponsor.

tomásbernal, JasonMa and ToMhIlL repped this.
  14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Tampa doesn't get in for no other reason than that stupid stadium design. Let's build the most seats in the corners and end zones while leaving hafl the sidelines empty on both sides!

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, expecially if he was someone with connections or a VIP, he should be more harshly treated than just some imbicile who gets too drunk and gets carried away and starts yelling crap at an opposing player.

They should ban him for life, like the guy who called Craig Bellamy a "wee Welsh bastard" :eek:

16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For telling someone to f**k off? I doubt it. There'd be no fans left in some sections.

tomásbernal repped this.
  18. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Indiana is a very conservative state. They think having a part-time legislature means they will get up to less mischief. And the legislators have to have day jobs.

The state constitution and statutes limit the legislature to meeting for 61 days at most each odd-numbered year and it must conclude by April 30. In even-numbered years the limit is 30 days and must end by March 15. This was all designed so they could get everything done before planting season started in the spring. The governor can call special sessions in addition to that but they don't like it.

This system is not unusual. Only 10 states have full-time legislatures. Lots of states used to only meet every other year for a few months.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not MLS related but it turns out the Dortmund bomber was a Russian stock market manipulator.

tomásbernal and footballfantatic repped this.
  22. NeilB

NeilB Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Mount Kisco, NY
    Bastian?
    [​IMG]

Salvadanish repped this.
  23. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    All factors being equal, these are the EXACT cities I would give priority to due to upside. Once these markets are squared away, there's probably only a couple true "must-have" markets left--everyone else is icing on the cake. I know some will have reservations about CA and TX having eight teams between them, but those two states are big-population youth soccer hotbeds that are tough to pass up.

wantmlsphilly repped this.
  24. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd prefer Detroit to San Antonio. The deal sounds great for all concerned and the location seems cool.

And yes, I am looking forward to the California Cup!

Salvadanish and footballfantatic repped this.