Friday 15 Nov 2019

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stuart95, Nov 14, 2019.

1. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    This can't be real. I mean I've seen bad logos...Nashville SC included, but this?
    No way.

2. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    #27 NashSC, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Some large corporations absolutely put quotas in place on how many people can be hired of different races and genders. My father worked for a large corporation and was in a hiring position. He was hiring pilots. He was told unequivocally to not higher any white males. Literally wasn't allowed to. The majority of pilots in our country are male (not sure about race break down). He was having to regularly pass up more qualified people to meet the quota he was given. This is doing exactly what the rules are in place to avoid...hiring or not hiring people because of their race or gender. Discrimination is discrimination. If you aren't getting a job because you are a white male...that is discrimination. People seem to forget this fact.

Our country does this often. People, races and genders were wronged and to correct it we go to the complete opposite extreme.

Also, in smaller areas you very often have only 1 qualified candidate apply for a position. Especially if it is a very specific skill set. The IT company I work for is doing good to get even 1 qualified candidate a lot of the time. Many companies, regions, skill sets don't have the luxary of 100's of applicants every time they post a job. My company can post jobs sometimes and not have a single person apply for weeks.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  3. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Pilots is interesting... A lot if them come out of the military as the military trains a lot if pilots to fly multi-engine jets and instrument rating, trainings that get quite expensive in the civilian world. In the Air Force, pilots are officers, which means college degrees. I could see that field being white and male through the 80s.

In the 80s, about maybe 1/3 of my engineering class was female. I don't think there were many blacks or hispanics. This week, I was at an engineering conference, and it was quite diverse, large number of females, blacks, Hispanics, Asians... My 'concern' was more political as I had a couple of speakers that couldn't get visas to come into the country - we are cutting ourself out of the world.

4. jeffclimbs

jeffclimbs Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    If you think this is the same as slavery....

5. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    #30 NashSC, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Wasn't talking about slavery. Was just talking about discrimination in job hiring.
    Slavery is way beyond discrimination. I should have have been more clear.

Of course not being hired because of your race/gender is nowhere near the level of slavery.

6. jeffclimbs

jeffclimbs Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    It seemed to be the implication you were making when talking about races being wronged. Maybe just dial down the rhetoric a bit. I could say plenty about individual qualifications versus institutional culture (and why this can lead institutions to very rationally not hire the person with the best credentials) when making hiring decisions, but I think this conversation has more than reached its logical conclusion. Maybe impeachment has everyone fired up, politically speaking, but this is a soccer forum. Cheers. :)

7. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Maybe you just dial down the rhetoric a bit and don't put words in peoples keyboards.
    There is no rhetoric in my post. It is a real world experience that someone I trust and know well relayed to me. This isn't some hypothetical. There are pages of cases against large companies putting hiring freezes on white males. It is a thing.

8. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it possible that you could be competent and we don't have to keep a scorecard of gender and race statistics? I would love to listen to your answer but I only think it's fair if someone from the female gender responds.:rolleyes:

NashSC repped this.
  9. jeffclimbs

jeffclimbs Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Expected as much based on your posting history. Oh well, I tried. Carry on with the outrage! White men face such hardships in this country! The experience of me and my white male friends is what really matters! Why doesn't anyone care about the plight of us poor benighted white men? (Don't worry, I'll show myself out....)

10. jeffclimbs

jeffclimbs Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Do we have such people here? :rolleyes:

11. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Yeah, this seems like clearly a prank to me.

Btw, I like Nashville's logo, I find it quite striking.

But some things are in the eye of the beholder that way, and other things are just objective failures of design. This is the latter.

superdave and NashSC repped this.
  12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *checks forum he's in* Okay, can we get back to MLS chat?

Damn offseason.

13. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    It is only a couple days after MLS Cup too. Just wait till the mid-December posts start.......

14. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Not true... see Canada, and women's sports.

p.s. This is my second reply to the above post. If the original (yesterday) was intentionally deleted by a mod, I would like to know why.

15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because about 3 posts above I said we’re done with this line:

JasonMa repped this.