Francesco Totti: C'è Solo un Capitano

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Vulpinous, May 27, 2017.

1. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahh.. I don't know they said the same after he was forced to retire. I'd bet by next season it would be over.

I've said it 100x the most important thing is to win.. if fixes everything. Throwing out a crazy scenario for the sake of discussion

If Roma (by some miracle) win the EL and finish in 3rd in SA 90% of the fans would forget all about Totti's complaints.

Win and they will come.

2. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The protests against him already started with De Rossi. But Totti is God like status to the locals. There is so much and a lot of it (irrational) dislike for Jimmy at this point I dont think winning will fix this. Just my 2 cents, backtrack (releasing a quick fire statement not smart) with Totti or he'll die a slow death as president.

3. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest fear is that JP is going to be even more distant because he doesn't want to put up the all the protesting in Rome

4. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that fk'ing statement was ridiculous.. another misstep by JP.

5. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nah man, the fans will be there. They wont be able to resist Fonseca's sexy football.

All hail Paolo, the new King of Rome!

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #406 falvo, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    He said in the press conference that they made him quit playing and he didn’t want to. Other than an over 40 Gk hanging on someplace , which first division club in the entire world employs a 41 year old on their roster?

Especially now that it ended badly, Totti should have left 5 years ago because he hung on too long.

7. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ffs, the man could barely run. "oh, but he can still make a great pass now and then"......give me a break. Talk about romantic notions getting in the way of common sense.

Whether you are a magnificent player like Totti was, or you couldn't hit a barn door from 2 yards, one thing is certain, age will catch up with you.

L'immortale and Java65 repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #408 falvo, Jun 17, 2019
    He should have left after he gave the interview talking against Luciano Spalletti in early 2016....Or at least in June of that year.

Personally, I have no problem with management making the “piazza pulita”!

Largo Ai Giovani! Sempre! :thumbsup:

Java65 repped this.
  9. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Yeah, I’m not sure about that. We seem quick to forget that until 3 months ago Monchi was running the show. He was the one who picked the coach, signed Pastore and none of the list EDF gave him. Before that it was Sabatini.

I do believe that there are too many voices now though. Monchi made such a mess that its understandable if Pallotta wasn’t comfortable residing all power in the hands of one person immediately. Some wisdom would have gone a long way for Totti. Someone just missed up, and instead of using it to his advantage and climb up the ladder, he quit because he wasn’t given all the power.

In this 3 month period, Totti picked Ranieri against Baldini’s wish (Sousa). He then got the club to go after Conte, which by his own admission Fenga worked with him and it almost worked. He didn’t tell us what was his plan B after Conte said no, and we kinda needed one.

Seems to me that he had influence, just not as much as he wanted. I’m sure there was some process that could have been worked out between him and Petrachi, and if he does well he would have gotten more and more influence with time. Instead he reacted in this way, which to me it indicates that he was never going to work out in the corporate world he had to deal with now.

Oban14, Java65 and Midfield General repped this.
  10. Shen-O

Shen-O Guest

Francesco “too many suits, not enough boots” Totti :cool:

11. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Really, you chose this thread to post that in? This has gotta be a bot or someshit.

La Magica, L'immortale and wm72 repped this.
  12. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #412 wm72, Jun 17, 2019
    Yeah, your point about Totti's experience being in Mondo Monchi di Roma and the complete chaos so far post-Minchi does need to be highlighted again and again in regard to everything he's said. I tend to doubt that his experience under Sabatini would have been as rocky.

While you may be correct about Totti's persona vs the corporate world, I would add that Pallotta seems just as ill-"suited" to it in many regards.

Really, having a voice from management as frank as Totti would have gone a long way toward bridging the huge disconnect with a lot of the fan base (and not the just most radical ones). Pallotta actually really missed the boat in this regard as his persona is one I think Roma fans would have embraced had he not seemed to always say the wrong thing in the wrong way.

Also, on a side note, Baldissoni not looking like he would rather be being burnt alive while watching every Roma match would be a nice look for management as well.

La Magica, shiboboo and Shen-O repped this.
  13. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the man knows is to play. He has exactly zero experience doing anything else and that's fine. With a little want to and the willingness to learn all things are possible. What we do know of his post playing career is this is the 2nd attempt at doing something different that he hasn't seen through. The first was the coaching course he bailed on after 2 weeks.

Everything he has said could be 100% true, I'm not dismissing it, but I'd be kidding myself if at least some of it doesn't come off as a bit conspiratorial.

14. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Totti telling it like it is. To be honest, Totti has got more respect from me today then any other time in his career. He has royally humiliated your great American Heroes. He has left - to teach these tit-headed losers a lesson. After so long and the humiliation he suffered through these piss-heads, it is fantastic that he goes out with his head high. Totti is a true Roman, through and through. More then your American Heroes will ever be.

I have no doubt, everything Totti said is true. Why would Totti lie ? For fun ? no for the good of Roma. bringing truth to a lie. Something I said from the start, yet you all believed your Messiah.

Through these comments; it has proved what I have been personally saying for years:

EDF was a clueless clown, yet got screwed over by the management with crap players.
    Pallotta personally screwed over Totti and De Rossi - he hates leaders and ones who are seen better then him.
    Baldini is a prat and should have never returned to Roma. So un-grateful to the Sensi`s aswell.
    Americans have no idea of football - as seen as there idiotic behaviour .
    The stadium is the only project they ever had. Success on the field was never important.

So all you dipsticks - can have your fancy names, DC, Red Sox, Gialloyank, NY crap. Changes nothing, that your American Heroes have ruined this club beyond repair. The pathetic response to Totti - is I assume the last response for real Roma fans. Totti proving he is a true legend. I personaly cannot wait for the huge protests that will follow.

Grazie Totti

tomer48, romanista8910, wm72 and 5 others repped this.
  15. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Probably; in the future - we will see this talk from Totti has the beginning of the end of your great American Heroes. We probably will thank him for it.

Say what you want - any idiot could see Pastore was a lump of lard. To me, he was completely right to mention it... only of course you clowns do not see it.

Tottino repped this.
  16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

17. TheNewMeazza

TheNewMeazza Member

May 14, 2017
    This is the guy who criticized my English ?

bridgefour, Calcio Pauly and La Magica repped this.
  18. TheNewMeazza

TheNewMeazza Member

May 14, 2017
    This club is run like the city it resides in. A shit hole.

This includes the “legends”. We deserve to be in série c.

Java65 repped this.
  19. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    hes-not-wrong-you-know.jpg

L'immortale and chaponga repped this.
  20. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Speaking of that crazy chain-smoking master of swag, he chimed in on the Totti situation:

“I don’t want to get into Roma’s internal matters, but I can say one thing,” Sabatini told the Huffington Post. The situation of Totti’s status as director is down to a perennial ambiguity from Roma, who signed a contract with him when he was still a player many years ago."

20f446b7e28bd519bd78abf24acf3816.jpg

“It’s a contract that was set to begin whenever Francesco retired from playing. From that moment on, there should’ve been a clear direction, instead they just kept going without any shared strategies. They left him just hanging around with nothing to do."

um-yep-sounds-right.jpg

21. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    To add the second part of his quote

“Totti deserved to be at least tested over the last few months, as he deserved to be brought into the fold. His football sensibility is undeniable and his opinion on these matters would’ve been helpful.

“A technical director doesn’t just choose players. He participates in the construction of the squad, deciding who is the Coach, the medical staff and basically everything around training the team. Totti spent over 20 years at Trigoria, he’d be ideal for that role"

There was a lot of sneering, people exclaiming it would have been a total disaster when Totti suggested he wanted to take control a month of so ago. Perhaps that was unfair and he may not be the bimbo he's made out to be...especially around what it takes to build a side.

Shen-O and wm72 repped this.
  22. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
  23. Shen-O

Shen-O Guest

Totti, in football, a genius.
    Totti, outside football, not so much.

People dive too deep into the second one

shiboboo, L'immortale and La Magica repped this.
  24. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yes but he has the insider knowledge of this crazy club. Monchi has that tons of experience you talk about and it failed miserably. I dont believe it was because he suddenly became an idiot but it was a total culture shock from the relative ease of Sevilla.

25. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Yeah, it's difficult to say man. I'm kinda with Shen-O... haha. I dunno, I guess without knowing Totti personally, or sitting down and listening to him talk about the game, it's hard for me to say.

I hate echoing what I heard on Solano's podcast, but his buddy had it right I think: Totti should be a scout.