France v. USA, Feb. 8, 2015, Lorient, France

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by exref, Feb 8, 2015.

1. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to Lunatica, here are the lineups:

[​IMG]

Gilmoy repped this.
  2. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For once, Ellis has surprised me with her picks. I'm curious as to her reasoning.

3. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually not surprised at all. Also, here is the game that everyone has wanted for a long time - Morgan & Press paired together.

exref repped this.
  4. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ellis is always surprising me with her picks. Perhaps the wording your looking for is "pleasantly surprising."

exref repped this.
  5. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Morgan and Press on the field at the same time. That should be interesting.

Klingenberg and Chalupny on the field at the same time. I don't think that's happened before. Chalupny at right back? What about Krieger?

The French look like they will be putting the U.S. to the test with Thomis's speed early on.

6. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I'm OK with the people on the field. Where they're likely playing on the field? Probably less enthusiastic.

Regardless of who plays and where they play this French line-up is going to be very difficult. I expect the French to have much more possession. We'll see if that translates into more quality opportunities for them.

7. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the lineup. I really like the 4-4-2. I hope Ashlyn Harris does great.

8. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Well the 4-4-2 is a relief, especially against France. We'll see if it actually operates as a 4-4-2. The US is going to need numbers in the middle.

9. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mixed feelings. I like the idea of the 442, and if I may be honest, it kind of looks like Tom Sermanni's double pivot on the 6 line, which worked well. It seems they are abandoning the concept of having someone at 10 and are looking for Brian and Holiday to go forward. Holiday and Brian in the middle, pivoting in who goes forward, is how it should be, and I'm very, very excited about this game for it. But no 10? I dunno about that. They have two forwards so maybe they expect Press to play slightly underneath Morgan like Sinclair does at Portland.

I also like the personnel, but I'm just a little odded out by how they are lined up. I have personally always felt Lloyd drifts into the right seam and plays better attacking towards the right post, so it will be interesting to see how she plays wide, not in the seam, and on the left.

Same with Heath, she did so well both in the center on on the left wing, so to see her being forced to the right again is odd. I thought that was something that had been established. With Heath's apparent return, she does very well on the left and attacking centrally.

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    One think I will say is most of the US players are confident in the 4-4-2 so that should help. Now let's see if they ca actually go out there with the belief that they can win

11. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jill Ellis apparently wants to focus on "penetration" and getting behind their defense whether that be via on the ground or over the top. I just hope that doesn't mean they focus on long-ball.

12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my fantasy world of 21st century soccer, the attacking 6 will play interchangeably when in possession. The game should be completely fluid. Heath should find herself on the left as well as right, and Carli vice versa. And if someone "cough" Carli drifts to the middle, someone needs to leave the middle and occupy space vacated.

13. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up all night..couldn't sleep. Lets go USA.
    Carli scores today.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    With this lineup and this formation I would have started HAO on the right. And I would have preferred Krieger or Dunn instead of Klingenberg.

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    And which one of the middies do you drop? HAO plays that means Abby is starting. I really don't want to see HAO lobbing crosses to Press and Morgan.

16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Just win guys just win

17. AlexJ17

AlexJ17 Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    I"VE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR OVER A YEAR!!! FINALLY PRESS-MORGAN!!!! OH MY GOD!!!

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  18. AlexJ17

AlexJ17 Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Christen and Alex :hearts: !!!

19. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I hope Heath can withstand Thomis, this will be a real test for her and Kling. Our right side may be exposed.

20. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any alternate streaming sources?

21. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    this field looks tiny, doesn't it?

22. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    01' 0-0 USA dribble-probe up box left, pass to Lloyd(?) at 20m wide left. She bends out to left touch, crosses from 8m -- blocked out.

02' 0-0 All USA possession, France yet to cross midfield. No scoreboard clock graphic? Probe up right, backpass. Necib fouled at circle back left.

02' 0-0 France pass to midfield circle left ...

23. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ~04' 0-0 France pass to Thomis(?) at 24m box right, pass wide, Chalupny(?) pings it square. Ball bounces at 19m mid-right at four USA feet -- nobody touches it, backspins into Le Sommer's stride to 16m 6-right, quick shot -- drifts high wide right. New backline, first error :oops:

06' 0-0 Clock graphic at 05'42", sheesh. France ping quick short passes from 30m to 20m centerline, overhit the last pass. Sauerbrunn(?) has angle, Harris slides out to 10m and smothers.

24. AlexJ17

AlexJ17 Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Go Christen!

25. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've very surprised at the US low pressure when France has the ball.

taosjohn repped this.