France, here we come!

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Atouk, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Stars and Stripes are headed to France next summer! The 2003 Confederations Cup will be held at four venues -- Stade de France (Saint-Denis), Parc des Princes (Paris), Stade Gerland (Lyons) and Geoffrey-Guichard (Saint-Etienne) -- from June 18th-29th. France, here we come!

http://www.fifa.com/Service/MR_A/43881_E.html

2. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I wouldn't mind going back to France. I was there last year in time to watch Les Chokes draw with Belgium in their final match before their World Cup meltdown.

3. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    An American in Paris

You can do this trip for 1200 dollars if you are willing to economize. France hast excellent youth hostels and thousands of cheap hotels. You can hitch hike around but the rail deal is pretty good.
    I recommend getting the France Rail Flexible Rail Pass. SNCF the French Rail Company sells them. You pay something like $150 dollars and you get travel on any 4 days out of 14 days on the calendar, anywhere in France. It also includes a one way ticket on the RER train, which links the Paris Airport with the heart of the city. This alone costs 12 or 13 dollars.
    The 14th Arrondissement is the best place to stay. There are no hostels there, but many nice small hotels.
    Lyon, another venue, is also nice, and much cheaper than Paris. I think it is only 2 hours by express train from Lyon to Paris!

4. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey I might get to practice my German and scare the Frenchies.

Might be worth the trip though. At least three matches over a ten day period. Isn't Saint- Etienne in the southern mountain area near Grenoble? How long of train ride from Paris?

5. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Enchantee Rivaldo

The last time I looked the express train from Paris to Grenoble took 1 hour and 55 minutes one way. The French claim to have the fastest trains in the world, now, faster than Japan's trains. Who ever thought you could do Grenoble as a day trip from Paris?

6. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad, only a few hours.

7. mattgabe

mattgabe Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Blacksburg, VA
    Ooooh, sounds fun. Maybe I'll Eurostar over for a match or 2.

Oh, and St.-Etienne is about 40 miles outside of Lyon, so that'd be the closest TGVs destination (then you'll have to change trains). Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, at the most.

8. Kevin Etzel

Kevin Etzel Member

Jul 18, 2000
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: An American in Paris

Camping is also an possible option. Many years ago I stayed at a campground near Paris (30 minute train ride) that was a short walk from the train station. It was a nice, friendly atmosphere. Check out "Let's go Europe" or "Let's go France" for updated availability of camping.

9. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Okay, so who in the shiznitz is on the ticket mission? Sam. Army. Guys. Someone. Waiting list. USSF. Someone. Please?

And does anyone know when they'll release the schedule? Looked of FIFA site and found nuthin.

10. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Good point, Kevin, I had forgotten about campgrounds. I'll bet the Paris campgrounds also have huts or cabins for people who don't feel like carrying tents and more. I have stayed in such places in Europe and Africa and they were cheap and nice. I still prefer youth hostels. Paris has great youth hostels.
    Jamison, I don't think we will know anything for awhile but I have hope that we will be offered tickets through the USSF and Sam's Army, and perhaps other organizations. Hopefully FIFA will make and keep its promise in Korea to put us together. I suppose the Confederations Cup could announce that there will be no organized cheering sections but I rather doubt it.
    I strongly suggest that all American fans buy tickets in the cheap seats behind the goal. That way we are not spread out in 3 different parts of the stadium, as in Korea and other World Cups.
    You can live very cheaply in France if you skimp on accomodation and buy the absolutely fantastic food and drink at local supermarkets.

11. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    What is the Confederations Cup?

12. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
  13. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what's in that announcement

In an attempt to capture the imagination of the French public and to ensure that the stadiums are filled to capacity, the FFF has submitted a proposal to FIFA whereby tickets are to be sold in an imaginative, modern way. Fans will be able to buy tickets for an individual game or for a defined set of matches, allowing them to purchase at a reduced rate for matches in a particular city or in two neighbouring cities (Paris/Saint-Denis or Lyons/Saint-Etienne). Sales will commence in January 2003 and will end during the competition itself in June. As for any major sporting event, each ticket will have various pieces of personal information to prevent ticket forgeries.

After the World Cup ticket fiasco not sure I want to know what imaginative and modern is.

And yes, has anyone called USSF?

K

14. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i am going to france in november....

looks like i will be going back next summer...

nice, very nice...

15. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    We Can Be Together

American fans will face the same challenge to organize and be together at the stadium. I don't think the games will sell out. UEFA has reported "zero interest" in the event among UEFA teams and will drop out of it after 2005.

http://pub103.ezboard.com/fsoccertalk55132frm44.showMessage?topicID=84.topic

UEFA teams did poorly in 1999 when France did not even send a team even though France had qualified for it.

Still, it should be an exciting event for Americans and it is always nice to visit France. Remember to bring plenty of Kool-Aid, Velveeta Cheese and Spam, as tourists report that French food is barely edible.

16. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, a couple of friends have been talking about going to Europe next year. Might have to take a day trip. :)

17. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    It's a traditional FIFA euphemism for "accident waiting to happen."

Dave

18. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Thomas I have to disagree with you as the Food in France is very good. If you avoid the Tourist Traps and go to the local restaurants. The Food is awesome.

I will say that if I do go next summer to France, at least I have family to stay with.

19. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GIO - I think that was a reference to concerns folks had about Korean food.

Geez - my mother-in-law is planning to take my twins on a trip next summer. Maybe I can convince them France is the place to be and they don't want to be away from mummy dearest.

20. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Lets do this thang!

21. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, Turkey will complete the field.

http://www.fifa.com/Service/MR_M/45185_E.html

Presuming they'll split up teams from the same confederation (they did last time with Canada/Mexico and South Korea/Japan), the group round opponents for the Stars-and-Stripes should look like this:

One of France or Turkey
    One of Brazil or Colombia
    One of Cameroon, Japan, or New Zealand

22. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in France for a day this summer. I wanna go back for this!