France Football their all-time list (August 1984)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PuckVanHeel, Jan 9, 2017.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    In addition to the posts above about cohorts and posts like this in the 'technique' thread;

I've been doing some little research for myself and it might be that year of birth is of greater relevance than possibly thought. Without cherry picking, some years (or group of years) are truly more exceptional in terms of popular culture than other years. Sometimes, in case of a worldwide babyboom, it is not fully counterintuitive but in other cases it requires better thinking.

When limiting ourselves to (popular) culture;

The year 1940 gave us Pelé, John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Al Pacino, Jack Nicklaus. Among some other top names in their respective field. Other notable players of 1940 are mostly British: John Giles, Jimmy Greaves, Denis Law, Ermindo Onega, Billy McNeill. Who do I forget?

The year 1960 gave us Diego Maradona, Bono, Ayrton Senna, Jean Michel Basquiat. In terms of football and depth 1960 also gave us Zenga, Baresi, Brehme, Careca, Lineker...

Of course it depends a bit on which popular culture fields you're including and such thing as 'greatest pop artist' or 'biggest band in the world' is subjective (most tend to rate Pacino slightly lower than his contemporary De Niro, but he unquestionably embodied some iconic roles and iconic scenes where the name of the fictional character can be mentioned without the film) but some years - or group of years - are clearly more stacked than others imho. Obviously more clearly so when looking at the very top end of fame and reputation.