Four Hurdles to the goal: WC2018

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I remember all my girl friends names, but forgot if I'm married to one and if so which one:ROFLMAO:

2. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    It is time for Netherlands to host the World Cup, either with Belgium or with other countries. With the expansion of teams to 48, 2026 is favoured to US/Canada/Mexico bid and 2030 is probably going to Uruguay/Paraguay/Argentina (to commemorate for the first WC 1930 in Uruguay). That will take it to 2034, 17 years from now...sigh...

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    AD seems to think it will take till 2020 when we belong to the world top again, I think it will take longer than that. I think around the mid 2020's somewhere. Probably 2026 to 2028:

https://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetba...0-weer-tot-de-wereldtop-zal-behoren~a5d22fa3/

The scary thing is I told my cousin we're not producing any top talent anymore, and that was 5 years ago. And now its almost 2018 and we're STILL not producing much top talent

4. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well it bears repeating but it's not like the Netherlands haven't gone through tough stretches before. Look at the population and world stage. Football is becoming more and more competitive in every country which means it'll always be tougher to compete, and even before that we had down periods of not making major tournaments.

With that said there are a lot of promising talents still in the pipeline, and at the end of the day what matters more than even the talent is the coach making the most of that talent. Look at Portugal winning the Euro...are you going to tell me they had more talent than the French team? They had an easy road there, sure, but they still won in the most important game against a far more talented team, and they were missing their best player (Ronaldo) for most of the game.

Look at what LvG was able to do with a very similar team to what we have now. Robben was probably in a bit better form, but maybe that was more down to how he was used rather than just the player himself. I've long been a vocal admirer of the 3-5-2 and its ability to hide a teams weaknesses if used correctly, and if the biggest talents on your team are the attacking players.

Right now our search and focus shouldn't be necessarily on who is going to be the 'next big thing' out of Holland for players -- there is always going to be talent. With the change in footballing landscape and the increasing competitiveness among players and the advent of the modern athlete the bigger onus is on the coach and our approach (try and lure Lijnders perhaps?). More than anything pragmatism needs to replace stubbornness with the Dutch and if our goal is to get results that needs to take precedence.

That aside looking at what our strengths are in the team I was thinking something like this might work well for us moving forward, assuming we aren't going to qualify for the World Cup (or even if we do):

Zoet
    de Vrij - van Dijk - Blind
    Karsdorp - Wijnaldum - Vilhena - Willems
    Robben
    Promes - Memphis​

A formidable 3 man backline with two very offensive wingbacks supplementing two runners in midfield that have a lot of energy. Robben is losing his legs a bit but still remains a force with the ball and would help create a lot of space for Memphis and Promes to exploit, and if they also keep in mind that as they go deeper more space will be available for Robben at the top of the box and just outside for his patented long shots I think experimenting with him in a 'free role' as the 10 could help increase his longevity with the team.

Anyway, this is moot. It won't happen as our leadership is stubborn and narrow minded. I'm usually a very optimistic person but the current state of our organization makes me think that there isn't much bright on the horizon until changes are made in a big way at the managerial level.

richsavare repped this.
  5. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jus one question here. What will happen to Ake.

6. Nothing. He's sub par to the youngsters now coming through in the Eredivisie and I hope these youngsters have gotten the message to stay home and blossom or go EPL and perish.

7. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #407 wilson00, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Can you name a player from eredivisie who will be able to go now in epl and prove he is better than him.

8. Just look at the youth players coming through at AZ, Heerenveen (and forced by budget constraints maybe PSV/Cocu finally let young players in the first team too) and the guy at Fortuna, plus the ones sold by the clubs recently, like Sparta did to HSV.
    Funny enough PSV was hard trying to sign the HSV Brasilian, but that guy now hasnot been playing, because the spot is taken by the Sparta 18 year old! So what the hell was PSV or Ajax thinking to look abroad for the back position.
    But the point isnot young guys now able to go to the EPL and be better. That's requiring something Ake at that age didnot do either. With what we have we donot need mediocre Ake and what's coming through donot make him needed either in the coming future.
    Ake hasnot shown anything yet and playing him is just based on him being in the EPL, not by his quality.
    And as Ake isnot Dutchbred, but Englishbred, he lacks our Dutch signature, which makes him a nono anyhow to me.
    We, in our clubs and academies have a certain way of approaching things that is absent in English football, our Dutch football culture. I donot want it replaced by the English culture, which is nowadays non existent/unclear with all the diverse foreign influences.

Orange14 repped this.
  9. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You never answered the question.

10. I did in general terms, but here's ones I mentioned in my post : Perr Schuurs, de Licht, Kik Pierie, Lucassen etc..

11. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Good question. I actually quite like him and think he has a future with the NT if he keeps on developing. He played really well for Bournemouth last season before getting recalled to Chelsea. I always thought he'd be better as a DM, but if he's being pigeon-holed into a CB role he could even play in that CB position at the back instead of Blind. Like if they'd be comfortable making him into a DM I could see this:

Karsdorp - de Vrij - van Dijk - Willems
    Ake*
    Wijnaldum - Vilhena
    Robben - Memphis - Promes

*Blind
    Learn from Klopp's system and implement a high press where most of the creativity comes from out wide with a hard working midfield that makes things difficult to pass through. It'd put the onus on Memphis to increase his work-rate but he could do it.

12. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You know it very well it aint gonna happen.ake is above them all.

13. Well, we differ in opinion, obviously. But I had the same opinion on Bruma, while he was hailed because of his Chelsea/EPL status and he was considered far better than Ake now. Look where he is now.

14. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    My opinion is that Ake is a player without a position at the moment. He's been switched around from full back, DM/CM and central defender too often in past couple years - which unfortunately hindered his progress to a certain extent. It's great to have that kind of that versatility, but for his age, it's better to stick and "specialize" to a position so he can develop the "feel" of the game and the awareness necessary for whatever that position is. Seems like he's holding tight on the CD position at Bournemouth in this early season - hope this continues and maybe he will finally see what he's capable of.

As to the Dutch NT, again, I suspect Ake is/will be selected due to his ability to sub for multiple positions. If he aspires to start, he needs to prove a lot as the competition is pretty fierce in both CD and DM positions. DM is particularly a tough battle for him. I rate Vilhena much higher than Ake. Vilhena is more aggressive and better on the ball. If you want DM with certain "bites" (like Nigel De Jong), my wildcard choice would be Hendrix, who I believe is among the leaders in Eredivisie in tackling completion and breaking up plays. All three (Ake, Tony, Jorrit) are born in '95.

15. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    What an amazing performance by Liverpool and Wijnaldum. Three high pressing midfielders, well done Klopp. That s what the NT should be looking for.

16. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I didn't watch the game... but the scoreline was pretty brutal for Liverpool. I can't tell if this was supposed to be a sarcastic post... :rolleyes: :p

17. Rinus127

Rinus127 Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    What a ridiculous, pathetic and stupid commentary. Guardiola, Mourinho, Del Bosque (against us:) ), your friend Wenger, have also undergone a few manitas.
    I watched the game and to the red card of Mané, the duel was balanced.
    On the other hand, what would have to be done to make Dutch football reborn is to conquer Flanders. De Bruyne is a jewel.;)

18. Watched the highlights of Arsenal vs Bornemouth. Ake was more or less guilty for 2 goals scored by Arsenal. First one an iffy heading defense, the second one completely lack of technique causing the ball staying into possesion of the Arsenal player.

That was what I wondered the most in this match. What was his position? He was all over the place, but too often in the wrong place and also looking as if he had no clue what he was doing.
    It wasnot caused by brilliant play of Arsenal.

19. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I wrote Ake off, just like the (still?) too immature van Ginkel and so many other when they choose the money of England (and others) above getting experience and constant football and tolerance for mistakes they would more often than not get in NL untill they had proven themselves as players. Somehow people have forgotten that you have to spend as much time as possible on the pitch to make mistakes to learn from and grow, its a process you need to go through to become a better player.

Eredivisie has quite a good track record of established players here who then made the step to England. But all the youthplayers get wasted, all the 1 season wonders get wasted (Janssen).
    Somehow the foreigners who come and play in the Eredivisie are smarter about this.

Rakim_22 and Orange14 repped this.
  20. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Very cunning ... trying to antagonize us so Holland and Belgium can have a deal like Uefa handed to Russia & Ukraine (who cannot be drawn into the same group) ... I get why you're scared though ... the last time that Holland were able to win against us, brave little Belgians, was over 20 years ago ... back then you had an awfully good squad ... and we've seen some crazy, open, eye-catching derbies in those 20 years ... none of which Holland won (just in case I forgot to mention it before, Holland haven't recorded a win against Belgium in over 20 years :D).

21. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Oh yea, Holland can still grab a spot in the inaugural edition of the Nations League's premier tier (only the results from next month's WCQs are missing):

League A top seeds: Germany, Portugal, Belgium and Spain
    Pot 2: England, Switzerland, Italy and France
    Pot 3: Poland, Croatia, Iceland and Wales

Except Iceland (90% to claim a League A spot) and Wales (47%), all are pretty much nailed on ... next month is the last chance for the likes of Holland (24%), Slovakia (15%), etc.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/newsid=2498274.html

The Nations League rankings will determine seeding for all European Qs (pot 2 or even pot 3 for League B teams) ... there's also a play-off spot at stake for EURO2020 (in case you somehow didn't qualify, I mean during EURO2016 Qs you just had to avoid ending up in the bottom half of your group with the likes of Latvia, you basically couldn't fail) ... in the NL play-offs the teams from League B will most likely have to face the strongest teams that have yet to qualify ... better to grab that final League A spot next month ... let Luxembourg, and the example they set in their game against France, inspire you #hup #holland

22. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Look at all the goals Wijnaldum, Janssen and Klaassen scored today.

The future looks bright for Oranje.

/sarcasm :whistling:

23. Castaignos scored. Luuk in Oranje!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  24. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Brazil are TERRIFIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We are soooooooooooooooooooooo SCREWED!!!!!

Good thing we're not qualifying, because the big countries would have a field day scoring against this sorry lot