Forum Moderator - Volunteers/Nominees?

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Ismitje, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So going forward, let's try this with an active moderator. Any likely candidates here?

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Don't know if he'd be interested, but I'd nominate cpthomas.

derbarkasmann repped this.
  3. Moist Pits

Moist Pits Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Portland, Ore.
    CP admits to his heavy Portland bias, unlike a Soccerhunter, who can be objective despite his Tarheel love.

4. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I don't think having a bias necessarily means you can't be a mod. It's just about whether the person normally stays levelheaded enough not to do something rash and stupid with their powers.

Ismitje and Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I am the overall forum mod for the MLS parent forums, joined by two others; we all have specific team loyalties that we leave in our home forums. It's more about whether or not someone can be trusted not to favor some people/disfavor others due to having a specific team loyalty.

It isn't that I don't still root for RSL in the parent forum, and more that I don't root against other teams while moderating RSL fans the same as everyone else.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  6. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Assuming that the moderator job for a single forum takes relatively little time beyond the time already spent keeping up with the various threads. --Perhaps an intervention or decision once a month on the average? (The posters on the women's college forum are actually pretty well behaved on the whole, though some get can get testy or overly partisan from time to time. Only occasionally do we see something inappropriate or over the top. Mostly, frequent thread posters self-police.)

Then, Who has:

1. common sense
    2. the time and energy (to continue reading the various threads)
    3. interest in serving the soccer community in this way
    4. some computer skills

I'd certainly second the nomination of cpthomas as an ideal candidate.

1. Common sense and even-handedness (plus intelligence) are his calling cards.
    2. He already seems to stay up on the Women's College forum threads.
    3. I have no knowledge about whether he has any interest in serving in this manner, but he clearly is committed to women's college soccer
    4. He obviously has sufficient computer skills for this job.

hykos1045 repped this.
  7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, not much usually. But the lack of a moderator when that problem poster wanders in can really kill discussion and drive people away - I am pretty impressed that so many people are still active in the various Women's Soccer forums with the neglect we've shown since Bonnie left the site, what with a pretty big problem poster doing his thing.

8. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    OK.... Help me out with some definitional information here.

On the Big Soccer boards:

A "Forum" would be "Women's College" or "NWSL" ? Right?

...If so, then what do you call the "Women's Soccer" division under which "Women's College" exists??

What do you call a titled topic within a forum? (eg "2014 UCLA Bruins" or "2015 recruiting")
    ....... A "Thread", a "Topic" ?

(I always thought that a "Thread" was a small topic of discussion within a single forum which may appear from time to time lasting for a day or two as one of many discussion topics circulating within that single forum.)

Pending definitions, what exactly would then be the scope of the responsibility of the moderator?

hykos1045 repped this.
  9. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second that question.

And if cpthomas is willing to take this on, I think he would be a great moderator. There is nothing wrong with having a team bias (who, me?).

10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry guys, with the RPI stuff and the U11 girls stuff, I already have a full plate.

hykos1045 repped this.
  11. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    OK, well since cpthomas isn't interested, I'll second the nomination for Soccerhunter.

hykos1045 repped this.
  12. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CLONE HIM !!

Cloning aside, Soccerhunter would be a good one also !!

hykos1045 repped this.
  13. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did volunteer several months ago. Glad this is going to be filled soon by someone qualified. The hostility in the offseason was almost unbearable and a moderator would have kept things running cool. Guys, remember it's women's soccer!

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give you what I use: areas (Women's Soccer, all of it), forum (international, Women's NT, college), subforum (International News being a subforum of Politics & Current Events, for example). Except sometimes I use "board" for any one of those. :)

Individual threads/topics are what comprise the forum.

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    . . . and since the soccer games I attend most frequently are women's college games, I ought to ensure there's good discussion herein.

16. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I'm afraid that I am in a similar position as cpthomas.... at least until I get this retirement thing figured out. My wife frequently points out how over committed I am -and always with honeydo items months or years old. And my time spent on BS does not go unnoticed. (On the other hand she does go to soccer games with me. :))

But I would be happy to act as a sounding board or consultant via private messaging if someone else was willing to take on the actual computer manipulation. (Derbarkasmann?, Hykos?)

Question for Ismitje: can you point to the URL that has the official BS statement regarding participation expectations with regard to courtesy, civility, etc? I see the Terms of Service statement on the home page (which doesn't really address the issue) but I can't for the moment locate any concise statement about posting expectations.

hykos1045 repped this.
  17. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Why not give hykos a whirl - kudos for volunteering!

18. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been a moderator on forums in the past, but I think I'm a little too bias and only spend time/post on a couple of threads in the WoSo section. Plus it seems some, or maybe most of the other members don't like me. :p

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, just in case you somehow get the gig....

[​IMG]

20. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah, no, I don't think I post enough to be a moderator.

Besides, I don't think what you do warrants moderation. I mean I'm not particularly fond when people go around and seem to spend all of their time telling other posters they're wrong instead of contributing to the discussion, but it's not worth the attention of the moderator whoever gets it.

I would say that I thought we had a moderator in the WoSo forums already, Blaze . . .

21. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Blaze is only a mod of the NWSL section, although I had recommended her for the USA Women section. I don't think she's very active in the college section though.

Anyway, since @hykos1045 volunteered, I'll second that nomination.

hykos1045 repped this.
  22. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, holden. I'm ready. I'd be willing to trial, at least. We definitely could use one before the end of this season. As for Bonnie, I think she's more of a default moderator than an actual presence. She did not respond to my calls.

23. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I'll second Hykos for moderator! (Or is that "second" actually a third or fourth?)

24. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    thanks hykos....you will do a great job. I need to work on the "level-headed" characteristic for a few years before I could ever be a moderator!!! but, I don't think a strong team allegiance should eliminate someone though a screen name like mine would make one look a little too biased. We sure could have used a moderator on the unc page this year when someone was posting distasteful photos

25. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    yes, the women's section has gotten along without moderation as well as the france boards have (wait, isn't there a moderator there?... hey, how about that! it's supposed to me me!) but the howwible goings-on presently in women's rivalries and a recent difference of opinion in women's fans (hottest player thread) show that having one is always a good thing.

i'm of no use for any US women's section but if i can serve in the above two places i'd be willing. international women i follow pretty closely but lusyanka's there and i doubt two mods are needed. as you say, these are very civil boards.

hykos1045 repped this.