Former Sporting players news.

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by vilafria, Dec 5, 2014.

1. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Several former Lions have their own thread but I think one that cover all of them could be interesting to the Sportinguistas here in BS.

I found this one today : Liedson perto de assinar pelo Sporting de Macau.

Sounds like Liedson is not fully retired yet, he's about to sign with Sporting Macau.

Miguel Veloso had an assist for Dinamo Kiev today to keep that team as the Ukrainian league leader.

2. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    If you want to count the obvious one, Ronaldo got his 23rd La Liga hat trick for a new record, and is on course for 60 goals in the league.

Bruma also played the full 90 minutes for Galatasaray in their 2-1 win to put them provisionally at the top.

3. Inkie

Inkie Member

May 17, 2013
    Paio Pires
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Fábio Ferreira scored a cracker for Adelaide. You may not remember him, so here's the story:

Back in 2005, Chelsea, with Mourinho incharge, convinced 3 Sporting 15 year old youngsters to move to England and play for Chelsea's youth teams. Sporting filed a complaint against Chelsea, which forced Chelsea to pay us a 540k compensation fee.

Out of these 3 players, one of them refused to move to England and stayed in Sporting: Adrien Silva. The other two, Fábio Ferreira and Ricardo Fernandes, moved to England and made their way up Chelsea's youth ranks.

Fábio and Ricardo were hot prospects at Chelsea. They were often used in the reserves, and made frequent appearences with Chelsea's main squad training sessions. However, back in 2006, Ricardo sustained a thigh injury (the muscle came completely apart from the bone) and was due to a painful one year recovery. After that, he was never the same, and got dismissed in 2009 when his contract expired.

Fábio, however, was on the verge of achieving his dream. Mourinho was starting to give him more chances in training, and it was just a matter of time before he would get some playing time. But then Mourinho got dismissed and Scolari came in. Fábio started to get less attention, getting loaned out to Oldham for a month before getting dismissed along with Ricardo in 2009.

Both players had to find opportunities on portuguese minor leagues. Ricardo still plays on a regional club, called Penelense (from Coimbra). Fábio, however, gave up on his dream in 2011. He had family in Australia, so he left to work and live in that country. In Australia, he found a local club back in 2012 where he could resume his football activity: Dulwich Hill. He made an instant impact back there, scoring 8 goals in 12 appearences, and got the attention he deserved from Adelaide United, where he plays since 2012.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share his interesting story :)

4. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Bruma is in the starting line up vs Arsenal tonight Champions League Group Game in in the Lions stadium,aka; Ali Sami Yen Arena.

Its his fourth''4.'' in row starting line up since the new coach become business.

He seems enjoying his footy currently in the Gala Lions.

Good Luck to our Son of Storm. (Galatasaray fans nicknamed him that way) .

:)

Regards,

---Z--- repped this.
  5. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    son of storm, I like that name.

roxbury repped this.
  6. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How's that name in turkish?

7. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Hi Joaommx,

Well :), I asked to the translate site;
    It said : Son of Storm <->RUZGARIN OGLU.

Regards,

ps:

the game will start as official Champions League kickoff. 21:45

I hope Bruma continue to his bright performance. Iam huge hope from tonight game for Bruma and Sneijder combinations,..who knows maybe a goal or assist by son of storm :)

good luck to our kid and his club lions.

8. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    [​IMG]

Can't remember a couple of these guys names anymore. Help !!

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    [​IMG]

Atromitos, coached by Ricardo Sá Pinto, was beaten by AEK (0-3) and is out of the Greek cup.

10. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    [​IMG]

Former Sporting youth player Rabiu Ibrahim, a prospect nicknamed as the future Jay Jay Okocha, that refused to sign a professional contract with the lions and eventually left as a free agent in 2011 to PSV has yet to score a goal as a professional player despite playing as an attacking midfielder. He currently plays for Slovakian first division club AS Trenčín after floping in Holland and Scotland.

11. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #11 joaommx, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    Top Row: The Great Dane, Pedro Barbosa, Facundo Quiroga, Aldo Duscher, Beto, Luís Vidigal
    Bottom Row: Beto Acosta, Abdelilah Saber, Rui Jorge, Julián Kmet, Kwame Ayew

That was extremely difficult, the quality of the image isn't that great and this was many years ago, plus that must be just a practice kit because we never had a kit like that. Duscher could as easily have been an angry Toñito, Ayew could have been Vinícius if he had been basking in the sun the previous weeks and for a long time I couldn't put a finger on what was wrong with De Franceschi - there was nothing wrong with him, that's Kmet who only played two games for us.

That was a pre-season friendly against Beneditense which we won 0-6 with goals from Kmet (14'), Beto (33'), Edmílson (53', 68', 83') and Toñito (55'). It was our second game on the 1999/2000 pre-season, and has you may remember that season these guys ended or 18 years in a row without winning the League.

SCP21 and vilafria repped this.
  12. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Those were the guys I couldn't name. I thought Tonito , De Franceschi, and Amunike

13. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    [​IMG]

Here's another good one. I know at least 3 of these players are now coaches. Anybody else ?

14. Inkie

Inkie Member

May 17, 2013
    Paio Pires
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    From left to right:

Top: Mauro Soares, Pedrosa, Andrade, Peixe, Tiago, Marco Aurélio.
    Bottom: Paulo Alves, Dominguez, Nelson, Carlos Xavier, Filipe.

It's the 95/96 squad.

vilafria repped this.
  15. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    4 coaches then .

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    [​IMG]

Brothers . One of which played for Sporting . Anyone remember who this midfielder is ?

17. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That's Assis with his little brother Ronaldinho Gaúcho. He was in that 95/96 squad.

vilafria repped this.
  18. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Too bad Assis wasn't even half as good as Ronaldinho :)

joaommx repped this.
  19. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't get that photo. Pedrosa spent 95/96 on loan to Gil Vicente.

What game is that?

20. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    That must have been the only time he wore the senior jersey. He's not shown in any records as a senior Sporting player that I could find. I remember him as a Estrela Amadora's player with Fernando Santos as his coach.
    In any case, he's also a coach, which would make it 5 from that picture.

21. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Know what you mean. I can only accept it as an off-season/pre-season game prior to to the official 95-96 season.

22. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Also Tiago, who's our B team goalkeeper coach.

vilafria repped this.
  23. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    The one that got away ;)

[​IMG]

Wore the jersey , but not long enough.

24. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That can't be it, Mauro Soares only arrived in January.

25. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    6 then.